Exomax Setup Advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jrod525

Exomax Setup Advice

Post by jrod525 »

All,

Newbie to the site and excited about learning more about excaliburs. I recently purchased a used exomax (it is 3 or 4 years old) and preparing to set it up. I was wondering what you guys recommended with regards to the following items:

String
Scope
Arrows
Broadheads
Other items I should consider for it

I want to set this thing up to be as bad as it can be! :) Why not ask others who have experience before I start buying stuff :) I drew for mule deer or whitetail in Kansas and I want to be prepared! Thanks in advance!
Normous

Re: Exomax Setup Advice

Post by Normous »

Welcome, that is a very easy one to answer. Use Excalibur accessories:

Here: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/catalog/accessories
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!! :D :D
I would stay with the stock excel string until you get more familiar with your bow...lot's more forgiving in case of a dryfire. With the exomax you will still have all the power & speed you need.
I have a shadowzone scope and love it but the varizone scope is a good one for the money. I use the firebolts but there are many quality arrows to choose from, just make sure you use flat nocks.
Good luck on your hunts!! :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
strum

Post by strum »

welcome Jrod525!! you got a nice Bow there and like Georgiaboy said you got some awsome speed and power already..i also suggest using the stock string for now and consider getting a S5.. the fun of these bows is there is no end to different setups and things you can do to make it unique to your personal needs..
hang around ..get to know some of the guys..ask the questions..have fun man...
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

welcome a board!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
crazyfarmerHD

Post by crazyfarmerHD »

arrows - gold tip laser 2's are hard to beat or try the firebolts that come with most

bheads- slick tricks, spitfires, rage, and countless others work great. Buy some and try them out to see what works best for you. I shoot rage bheads only though

scopes - the excal brand scopes work great. I have a varizone and lumizone. I have a Hawke 2-7x36 on one also.

string - highly reccomend a custom string. Its a few here that sell them. Good string makes a good difference.
aka crazyfarmer
Deer Whisperer
custom cowwackerz
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D welcome aboard!! i have the cheekrest on mine, s5's are a nice thing too add. and if you have long arm's like me the ex-tend is very usfull too. good luck what ever you decide to add to it.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Gday Jrod,
With an exomax don't forget to have a spare string in your kit. It'll be the first thing you will need for that bad boy:wink:
Then you can get the old string reserved and ready as a spare for when the serving eventually fails on the new string.
jrod525

Post by jrod525 »

Thanks guys for the input! Will keep you all posted on what I end up doing. Definitely going with an excalibur scope, probably rage broadheads, still debating bolts and string.

Looking forward to learning more on the forum!
Morangus

Post by Morangus »

I have an Exomax that's a few years old now. I'm still using the same string that was put on the bow when I bought it. I'm not fanatical about shooting all the time, so that's why my serving has lasted. I do have a spare string, just in case, so my hunt isn't ruined should something happen. I keep a stringer in my pack for that very reason as well. I put the range finger accessory on mine, but ended up taking it off. It's just too cumbersome to try and use and my range finder is blocked by the risers on my quiver mount anyway. I use GT Laser 2's with 4 blade slick tricks 100 grain. Shoots outta my bow perfect! Good luck with your bow, it'll shoot straight and the arrows fly fast!
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

this is just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

I own a vortex. i shoot:

-Excalibur varizone scope

-Lumenarrows (lumenok brand 20" crossbow arrows with lumenok flat nocks, shafts made by victory, with brass inserts, have been refletched with blazers at 4 degrees.

-G5 Montec broadheads (quite literally exact same POI as field points)

-Fast flight flemish excal string.

-NO S5... (i want it tho)

my setup will splinter arrows at 20, 30, and 40 yds... probably at 50 yds if i tried.

just my setup, your results will/may vary.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
jrod525

Post by jrod525 »

O.K. Still struggling on scope selection. Lumizone, varizone, or something else? Are the excalibur scopes very accurate once you sight in at 20 for the 30, 40, and 50 yard markers on the scope?
jrod525

Post by jrod525 »

P.S. Anyone tried the Nikon bolt and how does it compare to the excalibur scopes?
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The Nikon does not adjust the farther ranges, instead it's a 'one size fit's all' if you're getting around 305 fps.

Try a V-zone............They do EXACTLY what the advertising claims, and have a lifetime warranty.
"Eze 18:21"
jrod525

Post by jrod525 »

Thanks, vzone ordered. 79.99 on ebay, great price free shipping. Bolts and broadheads and I am done! :)