Need opinions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sloppy Does

Need opinions

Post by Sloppy Does »

I am planning on buying a new equinox next week. This will be my first crossbow so I need all the help I can get. Please advise::

Flemish string Yes or No
Firebolts or other ? What weight?
Broadheads, excal mechanical or other and what weight?
Scope varizone. lumizone or the top of the line excal (Twilight) or other
Target ?
Im sure this will lead to more questions as well. I would like to start off as close to where I'll need to end up as possible so I welcome all opinions and as many reasons why as possible. Thanks for helping me get started!
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
crazyfarmerHD

Re: Need opinions

Post by crazyfarmerHD »

I have the vari and lumi.. if I did it over I would just get the varizone since I kept leaving the light on and running the battery dead in the lumi.

firebolts will work fine.. I like gold tip laser 2's though. Anything in the 350grain to 480grain range works well. I use a 400grain setup

bheads, just depends on what u like. Try a few different ones. I shoot rage 3 blades. Slick tricks and the excal bheads work well also
aka crazyfarmer
Deer Whisperer
custom cowwackerz
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

i'll tellya tha 2 most important things

boo string

125gr nap spitfire broadheads

others will inform further :D
Last edited by gendoc on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Sloppy Does wrote: Flemish string-No
Firebolts-yes
What weight-Stock
Broadheads- Excal 150gr boltcutter.
Scope varizone- Twilight
Target - GlenDel full rut
Welcome, shoot, shoot and shoot some more is the best place to start.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Alot depends on what yer gearin up to Hunt. Wether you want one of the big pounders or the middle of the road class. If'en it were me i would stay on the learnin stage the 1st yr then step it on up. Good mech. usin no bands on BH. Use factory string til you gotstid all the kinks worked out. I like GT II's with brass inserts but the alum. insert wid 125 gr heads will work fine. You may get some that have another choice n nickel to spend its all good. Just don't follow an Old vixenmaster, you may kill sumpin :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Dash

Post by Dash »

G'day sloppy,
A lot of optional choices come down to personal choice.
What are you looking at using it for mostly ? If you plan on shooting target a lot as well as hunting. then its not a bad idea to get a lower poundage crossbow that isn't as heavy on the serving as the equinox, and easy to cock all day. For a field point target try a Feed bag packed tight with rags.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

You already got a bunch of good advice...i'll just say WELCOME!! :D :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Boo

Post by Boo »

Stick with the string that comes with the bow for at least a year before you buy a high performance string. As a mew person to crossbows dry fires are a real possibility and the original string is made from Dacron which has a lot of elasticity and will reduce the possibility of limb damage. There is a Dacron Flemish string available from Excalibur's string maker (it's not in the catalogue) called a Super String. It will allow for a great amount of flexibility in brace height but the low end of brace height is limited by the S5s (string stopper) which comes with a new bow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Sloppy Does

Post by Sloppy Does »

Thanks for the advice! you guys should be able to save me some mistakes. I should have indicated that I'll be hunting whitetail in the woods of Oh and NC. I have a lot of Bow hunting experience but have never owned a crossbow. You have already lead me to a couple of new questions.
Thanks for the help I'll keep checking in and asking questions to those of you that have time to listen.

I can't find if the firebolts come in different grains or not. I have not seen a choice on any site when it comes to the firebolts.

Will the Rage stay closed in flight at 350fps?

Are luminated firebolts with the lumenock reliable or is the force of the string going to damage them?
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

welcome sloppy, the lumenocks are great and very tough. i haven't have one not work yet. i use the rage 2 for crossbows, they fly just like my fieldpoints.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You need to talk w/ Danny Miller in Sardis, Oh. [740]483-2312, I think he's gone now but will be back Tuesday. He makes the 'Super string' Don mentioned and will have some other tips for you.............Listen close........

Welcome to the forum!
"Eze 18:21"
Sloppy Does

Post by Sloppy Does »

Boo wrote:Stick with the string that comes with the bow for at least a year before you buy a high performance string. As a mew person to crossbows dry fires are a real possibility and the original string is made from Dacron which has a lot of elasticity and will reduce the possibility of limb damage. There is a Dacron Flemish string available from Excalibur's string maker (it's not in the catalogue) called a Super String. It will allow for a great amount of flexibility in brace height but the low end of brace height is limited by the S5s (string stopper) which comes with a new bow.
What is the difference between the flemish that excal sells and the BOO string?
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
Sloppy Does

Post by Sloppy Does »

awshucks wrote:You need to talk w/ Danny Miller in Sardis, Oh. [740]483-2312, I think he's gone now but will be back Tuesday. He makes the 'Super string' Don mentioned and will have some other tips for you.............Listen close........

Welcome to the forum!
Grateful for the input.
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

welcome!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Super String is dacron=forgiving, Boo n FFF if dryfired may cause limb damage. Last yr a shot at a decent 8 pt wid a rage 2 blade it opened on launch sailed over Bucks back, i put them in my scrap metal pile. String Boo makes is XXX452 BCY material FFF Danny miller makes is Fast Flite material both real good but don't have much spring in them when shot!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315