Arrows kick a little (Tiller Question)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Limbs and Sticks

Re: Arrows kick a little (Tiller Question)

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I can't see .007 making any difference at all, try rotating the fletching when shooting and see if there's a difference, if it doesn't change your poi don't worry about, jmho

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:I can't see .007 making any difference at all, try rotating the fletching when shooting and see if there's a difference, if it doesn't change your poi don't worry about, jmho
Wes
Well Jason, I agree with the above.
There is just not enough difference to be an issue.
I have a tiller difference of about 3/32" and is not a factor.

I would suspect the nock may not be square to the arrow.
Try rotating the fletching when shooting.
If that does not make the arrow flight better then have a look at the trigger claws. See if they are square to the rail.
HIH
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Abit more info to add to the above posts. You will have more diff from an insert being out of sq. wid shaft or shaft not sq. on end than the few thousands off in tiller. Same thing with rail-riser joint & rear nock sitting between claws. Its very hard to mass produce all the crossbows Excals makes & stay with-in say a .0015 fer the cost involved
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
strum

Post by strum »

im wondering what you mean by kick..do you mean you can visualy see a fishtail as the arrow flies.if so you got great eyes..
how are your groups?..is point of impact different from arrow to arrow?.
if all that good then keep on shooting ..if it bothers you try swaping limbs around just to see what if anything changes..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
frisky

Post by frisky »

Use a square to see if the rail/deck is square with the string. Should be 90 degrees.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
strum

Post by strum »

after rereading your post i see you say it happens "not a lot"
i know the rope cocker is the most even way to cock you bow but its possible that somtimes you favor a side more than the other..try to be aware of how you cock and be as consistant as possible..maybe that will show you something..i still havent figgered out what is drawing you attention to the problem..once again is the poi changing? or can you see the arrow fishtailing..
are you using all the same arrows and weights?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Strum he said the nock end be angled to one side. I ain't never worried about mine as they all look crooked when i getstid done shootin
Half Bubble Off BD360

Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

automated11 wrote:Im going to check the square on the claws tonight. I spin checked the arrows and the broadheads and nocks have no wobble so they should be totally square. I may try swapping limbs tomorrow and see if there is a difference. If not I may try different broadheads.
I have threaded nocks and I install a long broadhead to check it.
I have a new thunderhead 125 grain broadhead that I know to be true and only use it to check insert and nock alignment.

You don't mentions your group size at yardage.

The other possibility is that it is your shooting form. If you are shooting freehand while standing then you can expect some variation until you perfect your form.

Anyway just some thoughts.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
strum

Post by strum »

vixenmaster wrote:Strum he said the nock end be angled to one side. I ain't never worried about mine as they all look crooked when i getstid done shootin
call me dumb but im still not getting it...
angled in the target?...
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yes angled on nock, heck could be the way the bag was packed
Half Bubble Off BD360

strum

Post by strum »

vixenmaster wrote:Yes angled on nock, heck could be the way the bag was packed
thank you Mike. :D heck i get that all the time.
fishtailing is one thing...hiting the target and turning some is quiet another..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
rej

Post by rej »

automated11 wrote:Well guys I didnt get to check much out last night... But what I did look at was my new boo string wear. It appears that there is more of a latch indentation mark on the right side catch tooth than the left. The left almost shows no sign of hitting the string compared to the right. This my be my problem. Im still going to check the other things that you guys suggested to rule this out. Im going to get my archery square out to check the squareness of the latch/string catch to the barrel.
I find your comment about the right claw making more contact than the left interesting. On his site Boo has a procedure for polishing these and he mentioned the right side as needing more attention. I have just completed this procedure, looking for better serving life. I can verify that as soon as bright metal was exposed the right side was rougher. Don't know if this will help with your arrow dynamics. BTW, this operation takes a while but those claws are mirror fine now and the impression on the serving is the same both sides. Hope ya find the gremlin.

Post by newbie »

automated11 wrote:Well guys I didnt get to check much out last night... But what I did look at was my new boo string wear. It appears that there is more of a latch indentation mark on the right side catch tooth than the left. The left almost shows no sign of hitting the string compared to the right. This my be my problem. Im still going to check the other things that you guys suggested to rule this out. Im going to get my archery square out to check the squareness of the latch/string catch to the barrel.
I was talking to Don last night and he mentioned that the right side will make an indent more than the left side in the serving, said it was perfectly normal but didn't elaborate on the subject
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!