How To Remove Inserts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

trky chsr

How To Remove Inserts

Post by trky chsr »

Doing up some new Gold Tip bolts and in my haste I installed all the nock inserts (flat aluminum). After it was too late I remembered I wanted to try some Luminocks. Unfortunately I used Gorilla "Blue Top" adhesive. Is there a way to remove these or am I "SOL".

TC
Rogue_wave

Re: How To Remove Inserts

Post by Rogue_wave »

I normally use a field point screwed into the insert, with the point in a vise and then gently heat it up with either a lighter or a small butane torch. Heat very slowly and carefully!!! It will not take long or alot of heat. Keep pulling and twisting till it pops out. You will also have to clean out the rest of the glue in the arrow. Remember if you use a file or sand cloth not to overdo it or your new inserts will be too small.

cheers

R/W
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

SOL. Get some new shafts for your lit nock adventures. I prefer longer threaded rods for removal than tips btw.

Also use hot melt for inserts so I can easily change out the dinged nocks. Haven't goosed an arrow in a spell though! :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Rogue_wave wrote:I normally use a field point screwed into the insert, with the point in a vise and then gently heat it up with either a lighter or a small butane torch. Heat very slowly and carefully!!! It will not take long or alot of heat. Keep pulling and twisting till it pops out. You will also have to clean out the rest of the glue in the arrow. Remember if you use a file or sand cloth not to overdo it or your new inserts will be too small.

cheers

R/W
X2 heat Field point very carefully with a butane torch
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

I've used heat with the epoxy that I normally use but this is a "super glue" so I don't think heat will work. I was curious if there was a solvent I could squirt up there. TC
Boo

Post by Boo »

awshucks wrote:Also use hot melt for inserts so I can easily change out the dinged nocks. Haven't goosed an arrow in a spell though! :mrgreen:
Bet there will be a whole lot of attempted goosings of your arrows at Boofest! :mrgreen:
Make sure your arrows stand out! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Boo wrote:
awshucks wrote:Also use hot melt for inserts so I can easily change out the dinged nocks. Haven't goosed an arrow in a spell though! :mrgreen:
Bet there will be a whole lot of attempted goosings of your arrows at Boofest! :mrgreen:

Notice the only pink I'll be dealing w/ at Boofest is what I bring myself! :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I would sure like too take a few shots at them pink uns!!!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Masboy wrote:I would sure like too take a few shots at them pink uns!!!!
Yep, they are collectables! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

awshucks wrote:
Boo wrote:

Notice the only pink I'll be dealing w/ at Boofest is what I bring myself! :mrgreen:
How ya gonna get them pank thangs to Canada?
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Arrow saw will take those pesky inserts right out. Been there done that!
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Color pretty pink inserts GOON !!!

DR Frankenbow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

trky chsr wrote:I've used heat with the epoxy that I normally use but this is a "super glue" so I don't think heat will work. I was curious if there was a solvent I could squirt up there. TC
I've tried everything to get inserts and nocks out that have Gorilla Blue Top on them and they don't budge. When I used Goat Tuff, I'd have nocks and/or inserts pull off when removing from a Morrell Xbow target. I have never seen any glue like Gorilla, it actually is "Super" glue.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You may be able to put nock end into bucket of boilin water let them stay til glue gets soft then push a rod up n see if'en they will come on out. I have done this wid my inserts, but i could use field pts n pliers to pull wid
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

My opinion and personal experience is that once an insert is installed using super glue or epoxy it's best to leave it in place.
In some cases it's possible to cut the arrow shaft (shorten it), install a new insert, and still have an arrow that's safe to shoot (the models with a shorter rail can use a shorter arrow).

I've destroyed a few carbon shafts using heat to remove inserts, and after giving the practice some thought decided it wasn't a safe practice, anyway.

How are carbon arrows manufactured?
Basically they are carbon fibers bonded together with epoxy.

What does heat do to epoxy?
Degrades it's strength!

How much is it weakened?
Depends on the type of epoxy & amount of heat.

Since I have no idea what epoxy the manufactures use and exactly how much heat I'm subjecting it to (using the "heat the point" method) I've decided it's probably not a good idea.

I'd much rather have a slightly shorter arrow than an exploding arrow. :shock:

Just one more reason I've gone back to aluminum arrows. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi