hunting bear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maine hunter

hunting bear

Post by maine hunter »

:D at the end of this month we can start to bait bears.and at the end of next month we can hunt bear over bait.so i plan on putting out a bucket of day old cakes,donuts,and other sweets that can buy real cheap,cause it almost gone buy.i plan on putting like a grate on top of the bucket, and a heavy rock on the grate.the grate will let the smell out,and the should keep smaller animals out.any body have some good pointers to share?thanks guys.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
bob watkins

Re: hunting bear

Post by bob watkins »

maine hunter i like to start a bait out with a 5 gallon bucket fryer grease also with your bait i really make a mud hole there so they can track it every where if you have a place to get fish oil add it to your grease. trapper supplies have it. bob
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

how often should the bait be replaced? or freshing up with new bait?
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Walkin

Post by Walkin »

Depends how fat you like your bear. :wink:

Keep in mind that bears like just about anything; they're scavengers and diggers from the swine family.

Grease, pancake syrup and a small bottle of anise flavoring are all good.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D sorry about the question's, i'm new about bear, and i realllllly want one. do they seem to come out more in the mornings or evening's?any info is great.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

might wanna try popcorn or dry dog food. cuts down on the weight if your carrying a distance. old fry oil mixed with some vanilla or water down syrup in a spray bottle.trail cameras will tell you the best time but mostly the last hours of the day. its gonna be a great year in Maine! i can feel it! :D
munch

Post by munch »

if you can get your hands on any out dated bacon hang that up in a onion sack and i find its the first thing they go for. the packages always have an expire date maybe pick some up
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

You need to make your bait barrel or bucket heavy enough or chained to something so the bears can not haul it off into the bush . Dry dog food works well as they have to stay at the bait to fill up . With meat scraps they can grab a piece and run off .

I like to build a crib n ( just a V ) around my bait barrel using birch logs . This forces the bear to come into the bait giving you a broadside shot or quartering away . The white bark of the birch also makes it easier to see the bear as light fades .

How much bait to bring will depend on how many bears are visiting your bait.
We like to spray the area down when with vanilla , we put it in a spray bottle , also use some liquid smoke mixed with water and spray it all around the bait . It seems to work as an attractant and a cover scent .

Try to wear surgical gloves when handling the bait , if you get the yummy stuff on your hands then go check your scouting camera , you may get some close up - closeups of the bear chewing your camera :(
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Don't know a lot about Ar bears and even less about Maine's, but 1st thought is you will need a 55 gal drum w/ some cutouts chained to a tree. Fill the bbl up w/ a few 5 gal buckets of bait, enough to stay away for a few days.

The cutouts mentioned above would be about a foot square cut out of one end, low, and a circle above it in the radius at the opposite end to pour the bait into..........

They will tear a bucket up, drag it off, ect.
"Eze 18:21"