Need Help Choosing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

eric

Need Help Choosing

Post by eric »

I live in Indiana and this will be the first year crossbows are legal for deer hunting. I believe I am going to purchase the Equinox. I want to obtain the most feet per second as well as the highest kinetic energy I can get out of the crossbow. My question is, what string, arrow and broadhead combination will yield the most desirable effects? Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Eric
Limbs and Sticks

Re: Need Help Choosing

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

eric wrote:I live in Indiana and this will be the first year crossbows are legal for deer hunting. I believe I am going to purchase the Equinox. I want to obtain the most feet per second as well as the highest kinetic energy I can get out of the crossbow. My question is, what string, arrow and broadhead combination will yield the most desirable effects? Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Eric

Welcome aboard, you really don't need the biggest& baddest to achieve what your after, there are many stick and bh combo's out there and they all get the job done just as all the excals, you'll get plenty of help.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

If your buying the package deal, then the firebolts that come with it work great. If not, alot use the Gold Tip II, they will be my next bolt purchase. I would stick with the string that comes with it, until you have more experience shooting. It works fine, and if you dry fire your bow, you shouldn't have any problems. With a fast flight type string, you could experience problems, if dry fired. Broadhead, there are so many options, I just bought some of the shwackers to try this season.

I'm sure several will chime in and give advise.
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Boo

Post by Boo »

My advice is to start with a couple of Excel strings and the factory arrows tipped with Bolt cutters. No telling what you will like so the stuff I mentioned is a great middle of the road set up.
You don't know yet if you want a light and fast arrow/broadhead combo or a heavier set up that so many like. So start in the middle of the road to gain experience so that you can make an educated decision which way to go. There are many who stick with the factory set up that I mentioned and kill lots of deer.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!!! :D :D
You have already got some good advice...my $.02 :mrgreen:
If this is your first x-bow stay with the stock string as was previously stated, good insurance in case you have a dryfire.
The firebolt arrows that come with the package will serve you well, all i use. 8)
If it's speed your after the excal x-act 100gr mechanical or spitfire are both good choices. If KE is your game then 150gr excal boltcutters or 150gr slick tricks are both bad medicine. :wink:
Good luck
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Sloppy Does

Post by Sloppy Does »

I will tell you one thing. You wont be disappointed with the equinox. It's one fine xbow.
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum.

The gear that comes with your Excal package will work great and is a great place to start while you're learning about your new crossbow.

Good luck and have fun shooting. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
cowfish

Post by cowfish »

I would have to agree with every one here get the bow you can cock comfortably you don't want it to be to much weight that you cant enjoy shooting.I would like to thank everyone on this site for the usefull imfomation here!
roly

Post by roly »

I am getting old and still shoot an Equinox
with no probs, like said I would start with the
standard set up.

If you can get a chance to see and shoot some of the other Excal models, you may be surprised

the big 225lb bows are hard on string servings

And welcome to the forum
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

eric wrote:I live in Indiana and this will be the first year crossbows are legal for deer hunting. I believe I am going to purchase the Equinox. I want to obtain the most feet per second as well as the highest kinetic energy I can get out of the crossbow. My question is, what string, arrow and broadhead combination will yield the most desirable effects? Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Eric
FFF string GTII wid brass inserts chop 1/4" off back of insert run 2" blazer vanes with helical fletch & 100gr BH slick or spitfire. This should put you at 352gr +or- a gr. That should get you the 350fps yer wantin. I have killed a couple of dump truck loads of tick toters with Excals models 200 lb & under
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315