longer shots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

magic bow

longer shots

Post by magic bow »

I was wondering what the longest shots any one has taken on deer? I know they can jump string. And ive read to keep shots under 25 yards and hold low on the heart. But I was wondering if any you guys have made killing shots out their any futher.
ComfyBear

Re: longer shots

Post by ComfyBear »

With the speed of modern archery equipment, a stationary deer would have a hard time jumping the string if it's within thirty yards. However, the maximum distance is dependent on the individual shooter, their eqipment and the situation. For some, 25 yards, or less, might be their limit, while others might feel that 40 yards is an ethical distance, if the deer isn't wary.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

With vertical bow last year I killed a doe at 62 yards. This deer was across my food plot and was ranged before I shot it. I shoot 3 D tournaments all summer long and constantly shoot out to 65 yards. I was confident I could make the shot as long as the deer was still there when the arrow got there.

The doe wasn't alert and the Rage hit both lungs and she was down within about 30 yards.

I wouldn't recommend shooting past 30 yards if you're not proficient to do it. If you're hunting an area and deer are alert or spooked you may not be able to get one at 20 yards if you don't hold low toward the heart area. A deer can drop several inches before the arrow gets there, it doesn't matter what archery equipment we are using unless it will shoot faster than the speed of sound. Our bows and crossbows still don't shoot that fast yet. One other thing I've noticed is that my crossbow is louder than my compound so in the next month when the archery season opens I'll get to see if this makes a difference. If the deer isn't alert or spooked I believe your odds are a lot better than if they are.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

ComfyBear wrote:With the speed of modern archery equipment, a stationary deer would have a hard time jumping the string if it's within thirty yards. However, the maximum distance is dependent on the individual shooter, their eqipment and the situation. For some, 25 yards, or less, might be their limit, while others might feel that 40 yards is an ethical distance, if the deer isn't wary.
X2 :D

Dave :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
magic bow

Post by magic bow »

I appreciate all the feed back. I my self have killed two deer that were 40 yards. with a compound bow. But I was directing the questioning more on the crossbow. Thanks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

OK you ask fer the info, 1 deer at 41 yds wid me E'cet 200 my longest shot to date. I have around 40 killed 30 to 35 yds & another dump truck load taken under 30 yds.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Longest for me was a ranged 36yds.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
hunt2sleep

Post by hunt2sleep »

I've only killed four deer with a bow, one at about 27 yards and the rest under 20.
Phoenix
Matrix 380 Xtra
Exomax
Matrix G340
Klingons do not hunt because they need food. The hunt is a ritual that reminds us of where we come from. - Lieutenant Worf
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've taken two doe at a ranged 40 yards. One never knew what hit her, the other came unglued at the sound of the string crouching and turning before the arrow arrived. In both cases the doe only made it about 50 yards. Both were taken with my Exomax which pushes about 350fps. I've learned its best to pass on the 40 yard shots The chance of the deer moving is just too great. The odds are greatly improved in our favor at 30 yards.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Big John

Post by Big John »

I was sitting against a tree in some cold weather once, and knew a group of Doe's walked a certain trail to the corn. The bush is fairly thick but not bad at ground level.
I ranged two Doe at 53 yds. Neither could see me or know I was watching. When one steeped out in a shooting lane I shot my Equinox and blew through her lungs and into a tree. She didnt know where to run since didnt know where the noise came from. Neither did the other. Was the perfect cover shot. Probably wont happen again. But sure was nice. I could have shot both, since they had no idea where I was, and I was staring right at them. Came home with her and met a member here called "Kinging" to sell a gun. Great morning. Beauty shot! :wink: :)

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
magic bow

Post by magic bow »

Man this is some cool stuff nothing like a good story.