Serving crossbow string

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

diesel

Serving crossbow string

Post by diesel »

Tell me what I have here I think it will be good to practice serving a string and that is about all.
I ordered a serving tool and some serving string a few years back they sent me the wrong string the first time. ( Brownell #4 nylon serving thread .021" ) I called them thet said to keep it and sent me ( Brownell # 150 crossbow serving .036" )
I will be putting it on FF strings.
wabi

Re: Serving crossbow string

Post by wabi »

The .036 serving will work fine, but you probably will want to switch to something better once you've mastered the serving procedure.
Boo can probably tell you what is best (the best today, he is constantly experimenting with new types).
Be sure to check your accuracy any time you change serving type. The different diameters can throw your POI off slightly. :wink:
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Some pointers (I make and serve my own Flemish and EL stings.
1.Take the string off the bow and install it in a serving jig (see picture of same)
2. Unwind the string several turns (not so it comes unraveled) and get it very tight after installing the serving material between string strands.
3. Get as much wax out as you can by rubbing the area to be served with a clean cotton cloth.
4. Tighten serving jig so the material goes on very tightly (I actually wear leather gloves to protect my hands)
5. Apply the serving material in the same direction as the ends are twisted so it only tightens when you install it/twist it back up on the bow.
Have used the Brownell material but much prefer .030 Halo or, better yet, - but spendy - .026 Angel Majesty.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
diesel

Post by diesel »

Thanks guys.
Angle Majesty is on it's way.
I keep looking at Boo's video and he is so good and sure makes it look easy .
1 thing the video does not show is the best way to remove the old serving ?
Wabi that is a very good point about the serving changing the accuracy what about the speed of the arrow as well ?
What did Danny use to serve the FF strings he sold the last 5 years ?

What if anything is the #4 Brownell serving string used or good for. Kite string ?

Thanks
Dash

Post by Dash »

If you stick with Cossacks tips you won't go wrong. Brownell serving works OK and easy to work with.
But I would recommend "Angel" over "Halo" if you want to go to a longer lasting material later on (Although the brownell crossbow serving roll should last you many years anyway though :lol:).
Angel is the best wearing material by far, and it grips the string better than halo too, meaning that its less prone to serving seperation on high poundage bows like the equinox etc. Angel is also made in the larger size of .036 now.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

1 thing the video does not show is the best way to remove the old serving ?
Shove a toothpick under the serving on one end, then cut on top of tooth pick w/ razor blade.

Forgot who originally posted this, but thanks again, lol.

Edited to add: be sure to mark the string where old serving ends w/ a sharpie.
"Eze 18:21"
diesel

Post by diesel »

shove a toothpick under the serving on one end, then cut on top of tooth pick w/ razor blade.

That is a great ideal. I did not think of that.

About how many strings can you serve with one roll of serving string ?

Post by newbie »

diesel wrote:shove a toothpick under the serving on one end, then cut on top of tooth pick w/ razor blade.

That is a great ideal. I did not think of that.

About how many strings can you serve with one roll of serving string ?

You can serve about as many strings as you can until the spool runs out!!! :mrgreen:

Sorry I just couldn't help myself , I have no experience with reserving strings as of yet, but plenty with sarcasm!! :lol:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Roughly a yard of string per serving you do the math. Spools vary in length depending on diameter, maker, no standard.
Incurable tinkerer.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Cossack wrote:Roughly a yard of string per serving you do the math. Spools vary in length depending on diameter, maker, no standard.
That's what I thought would be a good guess.
I'm down stairs now putting new serving on 3 FF strings and I can see Danny Miller was correct about how much wax is in the string. As I put the serving on I can see the wax coming up out of the string and into the serving makes this nice clean gold serving look brown and dirty . The real test will if the serving holds together when I start shooting it on a bow.
Using a weight lifting squatting rack as my serving jig. :D
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I take the old serving off while the string is on the bow.
Secondly, I mark the center of the string while it is still on the bow.
Then measure serving length on each side of center.
I don't worry about the wax too much as the new serving will be as tight as I can get it and that will squeeze most of it out and lube your serving tool at the same time.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Removing the wax is crucial to getting the serving tight and not slipping. I use a clean lint-free absorbent cloth & rub the area to be served while the string is stretched until most of wax is absorbed
Incurable tinkerer.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Cossack wrote:actually removing the wax is crucial to getting the serving tight and not slipping. I use ling free cotton cloth the rub until most of wax is gone where I reserve.
I thought about that but did not do it.
I've got mine all done now. I have owned an Excalibur for 7 years now. I have 1 new Boo string , 1 new Excal. F/F string, and I just reserved 1 comfyBear string and 3 Excal. F/F strings. Looks like I was buying about one F/F string every year.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Cossack wrote:Removing the wax is crucial to getting the serving tight and not slipping. I use a clean lint-free absorbent cloth & rub the area to be served while the string is stretched until most of wax is absorbed
I'll keep that in mind for the future.
The string I reserved was pretty free of wax and there was very little squeeze out.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"