The need for speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

The need for speed

Post by MarkMarine »

I feel the need for speed...

As avid crossbow hunters, we know that speed kills...at least when combined with other key elements necessary to transmit that speed into the vitals of the animals we pursue. Just how important is speed, though?

Is the more the better?

Within limits. The fact is, we need enough speed generated by our bows to deliver the arrow with enough kinetic energy to humanely enter into the kill-zone of our quarry and enough extra to pass-through; just in case that arrow meet with bony obstructions or maligned shot placement. However, though speed translates into flatter trajectories, it also translates into greater energies traveling through every nook & cranny of our bow upon release. The vibrations (shock) left to course its way through our Excaliburs is something to behold. Boo had (and may still have) on his website slow motion images of such energy wave's travel - a real eye opener.

There are many manufacturers now mass producing crossbows with greater speed than any of our Excaliburs. They are pegging upwards of 500+ fps now. When I bought my first Exomag in 2002, it was the fastest production crossbow made - but now there are several models of Excalibur faster than it (not to mention all the aforementioned other bows).

Yet, I do feel Excalibur has peaked out utilizing its current design. I sincerely believe that constructing a faster Excalibur on its present framework is a recipe for disaster. A plethora of scope problems now (if truth be told) can be traced to the shock factor the present line-up produces. The fact is (as evidenced by Boo's footage et al) the scope and scope mount undergo a violent backlash each and every shot.

The faster the bow, the greater the energy, and the more violent in magnitude the shock value. Speed does indeed kill; but do bear in mind, one of the victims will eventually be the speedy bow, itself.
Dash

Re: The need for speed

Post by Dash »

Interesting read Mark. Its true that with the current style of excal bows they have reached their practical limit for speed.
A few guys have bought 400fps bows to the club here and tried them out. They generally didn't clock up large numbers of shots without typical problems of compounds. For hunting maybe its not such an issue for just a few shots. They shot very accurately on a tripod and on the bench at long distance, but interestingly the flatter trajectory didn't make them more accurate than the equinox at 50M.
But thats a hard one to compare as the shooter is then also part of the equation.
I'm not knocking the high speed compound bows, as everyone has a different idea of what they're after. But for me I'm still sold on the reliability and accuracy of the excal, and the benefits and problems of chasing more FPS isn't enough to convert me yet.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

But for me I'm still sold on the reliability and accuracy of the excal, and the benefits and problems of chasing more FPS isn't enough to convert me yet.
X2 Dash Add to that the bow I have now is about the limit of my strength to cock by hand. I just don't know if I have enough ponies under my hood to handle more :lol:
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Using maximum power and minimum projectile weight is a sure formula for disaster, sooner rather than later.
I prefer an arrow in the 450 to 500 grain weight range.
Shooting a heavier arrow dissipates more of the energy that's stored in the limbs.
No equipment can escape this equation.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Boo

Post by Boo »

The important part is that we do no play censor. Here in Canada we are limited to 450(?) ft/sec at which time the bow is considered a firearm and at which time we are excluded from archery seasons.
Speed is coming and the newer inductiees will want it and to say no to them is like compound shooter telling us what we do is wrong so must watch our Ps and Qs as well as consider what we are enduring.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Boo wrote:The important part is that we do no play censor. Here in Canada we are limited to 450(?) ft/sec at which time the bow is considered a firearm and at which time we are excluded from archery seasons.
Speed is coming and the newer inductiees will want it and to say no to them is like compound shooter telling us what we do is wrong so must watch our Ps and Qs as well as consider what we are enduring.
Anything 500 fps and above is considered a firearm.
Would it become an issue or would the standard be raised??
Time will tell as speeds will continue to go up.

I'm not saying no to anyone. I am not saying it is wrong. The laws of physics are what they are. Speed will be hard on equipment and require more maintenance is all.

BTDT
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i dont know of any 500 plus feet per second xbows. ? wishful thinking. though :roll: as far as the scope mount and most brands of scopes im pretty they can easily take the punishment.most major manufactures have the reticles pinned to allow reverse recoil as to not trash it. i do think 400fps recurve style crossbows will happen as materials and science catch up. ill stick with my 300fps. axiom for now. :wink:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Speed the ultimate goal, faster faster! I see the other recurve copy has a 375 fps with 245 lb. Its all i can do to hand cock Miss Vixen. Everything else is rope cocker or hand crank. Nutten wrong with havin a good shootin fast crossbow. When its all said n done i see my deer mostly under 35 yds specially in early season. I am comfortable shootin any crossbow i own out to 60 yds & knowed i can kill my tick toters. The rub is past 40 yds the range est. gets real tuff this ain't no 3-d shoot n course!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

I am not saying speed is right or wrong - however, I am saying speed need not be the number 1 factor in gauging the effectiveness of a crossbow. As vixenmaster said, his little Vixen has taken more deer than I've even seen in the wild. By speed standards, his is antiquated and rendered obsolete in the mindset of manufacturing race-for-speed...but the deer he has downed have sure failed to get that memo LOL

But, why is a little 150 lb pull Vixen at 285 fps so effective? Because it is in the skill of the hunter who holds it, that knows his/her equipment, and plays the curve of trajectory like a master. A Vixen will long outlive its brethren that hurl bolts at 400 and beyond. It's not fiction, not just fact, it's the Law of Physics.

Thus, owning an Excalibur, is not a fad or craze that will last only as long as the bow does - it's generational as my bow will outlive me and will be passed on to my sons who come after me. And for the money, I expect it to :wink:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Mark, I could not agree with you more.
We are seeing a few bows at or barking at the 400 ft/sec mark and will undoubtedly see more this coming year at and past that mark. There's no question that I'll own a bow or two like that when they come out. In fact my Sorpyd RTD 165 surpasses that speed but you will likely never see me in the field with it. I will be taking my Vortex until Excalibur brings out something better :D
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

very very interesting!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335