Sry Beat to death topic-But serving question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ElmerFudd

Sry Beat to death topic-But serving question

Post by ElmerFudd »

After following this topic for a long time and reading many excellent posts that contained pictures and ideas of the cool serving jigs others have fabricated, I built one in two pieces (left and right) that can be bolted to and removed from my reloading bench. Included is a thrust bearing on one end and a certified die spring that (hopefully) applies 68 lbs of tension for each .100/inch of compression on the other. Thanks to all who have posted info showing things they have done to build their serving jigs.

Locally I purchased a Bcy serving tool that looks to be a quality tool??????? Also locally the only serving thread available is Bcy Spectra .030 Dia. (sry getting long winded).

Now (finally) my question. Is .030 Spectra worth trying while attempting the first time ever re-serving of an Excalibur factory crossbow string or would ordering a different material be best????

SPECIAL THANKS TO BOO AND MUNCH for the on line videos
Last edited by ElmerFudd on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
Rage for crossbow 125 grain
diesel

Re: Sry Beat to death topic-But serving question

Post by diesel »

Sorry I cannot answer your questions. I do n=know that I talked to Danny Miller just the other day . He tells me he will be selling the Angle Majesty serving as well.
I have spent some time on the net looking at videos as well but still have a lot of questions too. I think most of mine are on what the string is made from ,what will shoot the fastest and why do we use this string and not the other ?
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

why do we use this string and not the other ?
Because the string that comes on your bow will survive a dry fire and the other {FFF} not so much............
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

I don't use the BCY tool because I think it's hard on the serving. It forces the serving to take a 180 turn. It's especially important on a new string where much more tension is needed but it's not as much an issue with subsequent servings that do not need so much tension.
You will be well served (hehehe) with BCY or Brownell serving material. It's cheap enough compared to other stuff and is pretty durable.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

.026 Angel Majesty., or .030 Halo. all else comes in as also rans.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!