Old bow hunter gonna try the Axiom

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RexKay

Re: Old bow hunter gonna try the Axiom

Post by RexKay »

One more thing Nighthunter. Never....And I mean never....shoot at the same spot. The Axiom only comes with 4 bolts!!!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Michael.stogre

Post by Michael.stogre »

If you are going to target shoot a lot I would suggest
getting a pair of danny miller arrow puller pliers.
It's been one of my best purchases yet. Danny is super to talk to and in answering questions. Enjoy the
axiom and don't worrry much about the noise factor!

MJS
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Nighthunter wrote:Thanks Maine Hunter! I'm really looking forward to trying it out! So far I've determined that in addition to the xbow, I'll need Boltcutter broadheads, Dalton wax, Rail snot, a good target, and an Excalibur stringing aid. Anything else ????????
FWIW, I do not lube the rail.
I wax the string material only when it starts to get a little fuzzy from use.
I lube the serving every 200 shots or so and keep the rail wiped clean.

You'll get the idea as you go along; just have to be observant of conditions on the bow.

I have not bought arrow pliers; just use arrows with a threaded insert at the nock end. Excalibur makes a threaded T handled puller for arrow removal if buried too deeply in a target.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
speezack

Post by speezack »

Well, I'm an old hunter too.... 68 next week... just bought an Exomax with the trimmin's.... shot it four times.... uh...... wow..... I'm gonna make a few adjustments on the scope and read some advice on here about arrows and broad-heads.... and just ordered some accessories that I figure i needed .... a few more arrows, some different broad-heads and a puller... soft case... wax... just misc. stuff.... I am a little confused about the different arrow weights... the salesman a BPS was a bow hunter and belonged to a club and gave me some advice... I ended up getting some 125G field points and some 125g broad-heads.... (the bow came with 150g field points... which was a little confusing) it shot a lot better than me.... dead center... less than an inch group at 20 yds.... that is pretty darn good in my book.... for an old man... anyway.... I wanted to mention... UPSman.... I retired from UPS Freight (formerly Overnite Transportation) after about 30 years OTR.... nice to see another one of us out here..... I will continue to read.... and hunt with my new Exomax.....
Bill
south central Virginia

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
"Will Rogers"
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Lol, yeppir, '86 the Sims, they cost you more fps than they are worth, imho.......Bill T said once on here 10-15 fps..........
"Eze 18:21"
Flswampwalker

Post by Flswampwalker »

I think you will love your Exomax. I started our with a Axiom and just purchased an Equinox. I found out that my back hurts after cocking the Equinox 8 or 10 times. I then purchase a Crank. now my back does not hurt. I have a 21 young old mind, but a 70 year old body. I love to shoot.

Good luck with your crossbow.
Equinox
Axiom
Gold Tip IV
100 gr. Spitfires
FFF string
Flswampwalker

Post by Flswampwalker »

boy did I get that wrong. Axiom instead of Exomax. To early in the morning.

Sorry
Equinox
Axiom
Gold Tip IV
100 gr. Spitfires
FFF string
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D the axiom is great, at boofest i did pretty good at the 3-d course and at the shooting challenge. better than i thought i would for shooting free hand.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I use the limbsavers and don't care what the end result for speed is. I installed mine about 6 inches from the tip on the inside of the limb. I wanted them just inside the recurve part of the limb. They have not come loose at all, though some of the camo on the sims has peeled away from the stress of shooting.
Just like I shoot a 500 grain arrow to absorb more of the stored energy.
After some practice and fine tuning you will group much tighter than you ever thought possible.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
planter

Post by planter »

The best part about the Excals is that ANY aftermarket parts added are done more for fun and experimentation than anything else.
Both my Phoenix and VixenII are just plain killing machines right out of the box. Sure I've tried Boo strings which I like and Crazies custom bolts which shoot great as well as a dozen different BH's but it all pretty much boils down to these bows can kill cleanly no matter what.
Geez I love these things. :D
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

planter wrote:The best part about the Excals is that ANY aftermarket parts added are done more for fun and experimentation than anything else.
Both my Phoenix and VixenII are just plain killing machines right out of the box. Sure I've tried Boo strings which I like and Crazies custom bolts which shoot great as well as a dozen different BH's but it all pretty much boils down to these bows can kill cleanly no matter what.
Geez I love these things. :D
I agree, killing machines they are no matter which model.
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

Thanks again for the sage advice guys! Will try to post some pics this season...
"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence is effort!" M.T. Walton
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum and good luck this season with your new Axiom. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads