introduction and question.H

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

oldbobk

introduction and question.H

Post by oldbobk »

Hello,
My name is Bob, and I'm an aspiring crossbow hunter. I'm 65 years old, 5'9", 190 pounds. I'm not as strong as I used to be, but my upper body strength is not bad at all, yet. I want to get a crossbow with a traditional stock. Knowing all the bows have sufficient power for deer means there are not any bad choices, but the reduced drop from a 200 pound bow versus a 175 pounder could be an advantage. I'm trying to compare the Phoenix and the Exocet 200. Probably I can't go wrong with either, but I wanted to ask people who know the answer, before I buy.
Bob K
ComfyBear

Re: introduction and question.H

Post by ComfyBear »

Bob welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of info on here, as long as you ask.

As far as I'm concerned, age is just a number. What really matters is one's general physical fitness. I'm 60 in reasonable health, but only 165 lbs, 5' 6" and shrinking, yet I can cock a 225 lbs. Exomax all day long.

Of course I do have a secret, I've shorten the cocking rope so I don't have to pull it up around my ears. :lol:

I would imagine if your upper body strength is OK, at 190 lbs and 5' 9" either the 200 lbs. Exocet or the 175 lbs. Phoenix shouldn't give you much trouble cocking, as long as you use a cocking rope which cuts the draw weight in half.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

I have an Exomag (which is 200 pound). As you said, you cannot go wrong with either. However, if strength is a future concern, then you can get a rope cocking aid or a krankeroo (with either bow).

That being said, I have written my opinion before on this subject and I believe the 175 lb bow will be all the bow you need for anything in North America.

Welcome to the forum
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum Bob!! :D :D :D
The best advice i can give you is to hold & shoot both models if you can and see which one "feels" right to you.
Now my 2 cents...i own a 200lb vortex & a 175lb axiom, and use to have a 175lb ibex, every critter i shot with the 175lb model was just as dead as the 200lb model dead critter!! :lol:
The 175lb bow will do anything you want it to & is easier on servings and the back!! :mrgreen: :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a Phoenix and have never has a problem killing deer. I keep shots close (most of my shots have been well under 20 yards), so arrow trajectory is not an issue for me.

For hunting the increased poundage of a heavier model would not be a concern, but for target practice (or in the event of a dry-fire) it could lead to a little less practice.
wabi
Frogg

Post by Frogg »

Welcome Bob, this is a great forum with a wealth in information. I know your concerns. I am 65, 5’8” and 180 lbs but in fairly good condition for an old guy. I just bought a Vortex last Friday. I couldn’t decide between an Ibex or Vortex. I was concerned about the weight of the Vortex. I went to a shop and cocked each bow on several times, in fact I visited so many times they thought I was working there….. I decided on the Vortex, liked the feel and extra weight for hog hunting. I really didn’t think there was that much difference. Besides I reason I can always buy an Ibex. Again Welcome.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

hi bob i have a vortex which is 200# ican cock it no problem . i use a short rope to cock it. i am 71. i like the idea of long sessions of shooting with something a little ligther .that being said either one will work .best to try before you buy.
spike

Post by spike »

Welcome,

I have a 200 lb vortex, a 150 lb Vixen, and did have a 175 lb. exocet. I should never have sold the 175 lb bow. If I was to have one bow only it would be a 175 lb draw. It is easier to cock and easier on strings. Lots of power for deer and even moose.

Spike
ROGER
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats a hard choice as you can always rely on the crank cocker when you need it. Nutten in North America i would back up from usin my Vixen out to 40 yds
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum Bob

Either of those bows will make you very happy :)
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

roly wrote:Welcome to the forum Bob

Either of those bows will make you very happy :)
X2, and I have them both.............
"Eze 18:21"
rej

Post by rej »

Hi Bob, I am Bob, 64, 6"-2" and 185 lb. I got a Vortex in May of this year and really like it. I frequently go out for 40 or more shot sessions and do not have problems other than wearing out servings because of the amount of shooting. Now learning to do the serving for myself. Enjoy your xbow, whatever you choose,
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Welcome to the forum . Can not really go wrong with either model .
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I think everyone else covered your question so I'll just say welcome to the forum and good luck choosing your new Excal! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads