factory string life question.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: factory string life question.

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:They were old strings. They have been served with 0.026" Angel Majesty for the last 2 years and are being phased over to 0.036" Angel Majesty.
The issue is string wax and while it's certainly seems wonderful that those who reserve a string think they are doing a better job than the string maker they are dead wrong. Anyone reserving a string does not have to deal with the wax that sits between the strands or between the individual filaments as it comes from Brownell or BCY.
As it turned out Angel Majesty is the only serving that can deal with was laden new string material on a production basis.
That first serving puts pressure on that wax and in time it will ooze out and leave your serving not as tight as it first was. By the time you reserve the string there is no excess wax. )After I've served a couple of new strings I have to clean the blob of wax that builds up on the serving tool) So don't be thinking you are a hero when your serving resists separation longer than the factory's serving because it's apples and oranges.
I used to think the same way but there are so many disadvantages to being an OEM string maker. It's truly daunting! I on the other hand have the luxury of hand making a string with no production/costs limits.
I hope this clarifies some issues.
What?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SEW

Post by SEW »

awshucks wrote:Your claw may be fine, expect shorter serving life w/ the higher poundage bows, it goes w/ them..................

Just common sense as is the greater angle which goes with higher poundage normally.
That said, likely very few people shoot their higher velocity Excaliburs than I. Until this year, 2,000-3,000+ a year was normal. This year, maybe only 1,000 due to life demands. More next year.
I use Boo and Vixenmaster strings. I don't think I've ever gotten less than 1,500 shots and likely maybe double that. I have TT triggers on my M380,405 and BD400. Boo shapes the prongs a little differently than TT does. I dent my first TT trigger back to TT and asked for the prongs to be reshaped and polished like Don K does. They did. My other two are like that also now. Maybe this is a factor in my string life. Whatever, they last.
I also have 3 of the blue, factory strings. I've had trouble with serving seperation but not wear. No wear, just seperation.
Just some food for thought.
Tom

Post by Tom »

This is over a 2 year old post, brought up for ............. what?

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

It's part of the forum upgrade
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR