factory string life question.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gamikatsu

factory string life question.

Post by Gamikatsu »

Question...

Thinking of switching back to my factory endless loop string for a few reasons. I'm tearing up my fletchings on my block crossbow target because they are pushing through. Also the noise is pretty high so i want to try the factory shock absorber for a string and s5 except have string tunerz or cat whiskers installed on it to soften the loud thunk. Just an idea.

OK well the question is... how long will this string last? My serving is separated a bit and fore up. Im going to have it re served and see what happens. What is reasonably considered the best serving to have the bow shop put in for me?
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
Masboy

Re: factory string life question.

Post by Masboy »

I have a wall full of excel strings that I used to shoot but had the end loops serving always separating but they were smooth and quiet compared to my fastflight but the fastflight outlast the excels big time for me. for me the excel string is my favorite for target shooting acurracy and a lot less noise and vibrations for me. I also am thinking of going back to the excel string. the angel majestic serving material seems to work the best for me with no separation.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Send me your address and I will send you a good use one with the Angle Majestry serving on it. If you do a search you will see what Boo is using to serve his strings and what Ecalibur now uses to serve the strings with. Both should be very good.
wabi

Post by wabi »

A dacron string tends to stretch over time, so it's difficult to keep servings tight. As the string gets longer the serving gets stretched out, too.
The dacron is quieter, but the serving life is often (usually) shorter.

I use Boo's strings with "cat whiskers" and find they are a good compromise. They might be a bit louder (even with the cat whiskers), but the serving holds up very well.

I've had the end loop serving separate on an endless loop dacron string, too. Not all strings, but some have looked bad after only 20-30 shots, while others have lasted through 2-3 center serving replacements. Still haven't figured the reason for that one out. :?

If I were going to use a dacron string I would go with a flemish twist and just plan on re-serving the center serving as necessary.
wabi
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If I were going to use a dacron string I would go with a flemish twist and just plan on re-serving the center serving as necessary.
The factory discontinued the Super String which was green and some other color, flemish Dacron.

Danny has some left.................
"Eze 18:21"
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The Excel (EL) sting is quieter because its' slower, like 300 fps from my Vortex with 400 gt arrow, compared to 318 with the FF string. Just sayin'
As for serving it, I'd go with .030 Halo or, better yet, Angel Majesty. Latter may be hard to find to that diameter, then go with .026. I use both on the strings I make and vouch for 'em.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Dash

Post by Dash »

awshucks wrote:
The factory discontinued the Super String which was green and some other color, flemish Dacron.

Danny has some left.................
Thats a shame it'll be discontinued. I always got better life out of the "super flemish strings"compared to the excel, especially on the equinox.
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Sorry to say I have 4 fff Excal strings in my shop bad servings
I picked up some Angel Mag serving string and a serving tool yesterday to re serve
bottom line serving is SH- T make it right the first time !!!
Don`t tell me to have my string retaining claws polished !!!
make it right the first time
Don`t get upset with me if you think about what I say i`m right
Joe171 :D :D :D
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Your claw may be fine, expect shorter serving life w/ the higher poundage bows, it goes w/ them..................
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

joe171 wrote:Sorry to say I have 4 fff Excal strings in my shop bad servings
I picked up some Angel Mag serving string and a serving tool yesterday to re serve
What was wrong with the 4 servings and what colour are they?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I know I f'd one up by twisting the string in the wrong direction.

joe171....I'm not saying you did the same.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Boo wrote:
joe171 wrote:Sorry to say I have 4 fff Excal strings in my shop bad servings
What was wrong with the 4 servings and what colour are they?
Boo the servings are greenish / gray and the number in the box is # 1989
I picked up 6 boxes @ the same time
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Ont_Excal wrote:I know I f'd one up by twisting the string in the wrong direction.

joe171....I'm not saying you did the same.
What I did was Dalton wax the strings stretch forappx. 24 hrs
tighten to set the brace height shoot and re tighten re setting brace :D :D :D
Boo

Post by Boo »

They were old strings. They have been served with 0.026" Angel Majesty for the last 2 years and are being phased over to 0.036" Angel Majesty.
The issue is string wax and while it's certainly seems wonderful that those who reserve a string think they are doing a better job than the string maker they are dead wrong. Anyone reserving a string does not have to deal with the wax that sits between the strands or between the individual filaments as it comes from Brownell or BCY.
As it turned out Angel Majesty is the only serving that can deal with was laden new string material on a production basis.
That first serving puts pressure on that wax and in time it will ooze out and leave your serving not as tight as it first was. By the time you reserve the string there is no excess wax. )After I've served a couple of new strings I have to clean the blob of wax that builds up on the serving tool) So don't be thinking you are a hero when your serving resists separation longer than the factory's serving because it's apples and oranges.
I used to think the same way but there are so many disadvantages to being an OEM string maker. It's truly daunting! I on the other hand have the luxury of hand making a string with no production/costs limits.
I hope this clarifies some issues.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Thanks Don for a well written explanation there is a lot too absorb and think about

I will post back :D :D :D

Joe171