O/T stars earn Stripes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

O/T stars earn Stripes

Post by MarkMarine »

"Eight celebrities face the challenges of real American heroes!" or the other one, "...enlist 8 celebrities to face the same challenges as the real Armed Forces." Those are the introductions airing to the new NBC series which will be premiere next Monday. As an American disabled veteran serving 2 tours overseas, it is needless to say I have a few opinions about the entire premise of this show.

But first, I am curious as to the "challenges" these celebrities will face. You know, dawning a Billy Jack hat does not make you Billy Jack - it just attracts the attention of everyone in the vicinity who is able to kick your arse! So it stands to reason that putting on the uniform of a Serviceman does not make you such - it just makes you a fake, phony, someone pretending to be someone else...oh, wait - that's the definition of "Hollywood" LOL

Now, back to the "challenges", what are they? Running through a simulated combat course with absolutely zero chance of breaking a nail? Perhaps the challenge is carrying a rifle with a gung-ho expression like you are intent upon using it in defense of your Country that you are prepared to die for? Possibly it is trying to make an enticing television program without offending actual combat veterans and active servicemen?

Picabo Street proclaims the experience is, "I thought nothing could compare to winning an Olympic Gold Medal...but this? This is epic!" Epic Fail, maybe. The fact that the producers could even conceive of this notion pisses me the McF off! That "stars" are so desperate for money (or for a boost of ego) that they would dawn the apparel of better men & women than they - REAL MEN & REAL WOMEN - to earn their imaginary stripes is a sad testimony of just how far out of touch Hollywood is with mainstream America.

Zeroes portraying Heroes is a fact of fiction. I personally knew some Heroes - but they are all asleep beneath Gardens of Stone. Does being a Marine in and of itself make me a Hero? F NO! It makes me (1) a survivor and (2) a brother to every other Marine. The word "hero" is used way too often. My heroes are all dead and know something that I as yet do not...peace, sweet and blessed peace.

I now rise in salute of the stars. Of course, it is the one-finger salute to reflect the true depths of my disdain for their vanity. I earned my title. I earned my stripes. Acting on television doesn't make you anything beyond a paid puppet...and I sure wish I could shove my hand up their azz and work their mouths like one :twisted:

Folks, the actual real challenges of a serviceman is trying to combat home sickness. Worrying over what their significant other is doing "right now". Wondering if they will ever see home again. Wishing it was not so hot, so sandy, and that they could figure out somehow someway to keep their canteens cool. Hoping that they live long enough to earn the title short-timer. Wishing there was someway to detect & remote detonate IEDs before setting them off. Dreading Firewatch. Praying that those on that duty remain awake so they can finally get some sleep...

...those are some of the challenges beyond just trying to complete the Mission and stay alive while doing so - sometimes an impossible combination. Until one of those stars face those same challenges, F em all!
Flswampwalker

Re: O/T stars earn Stripes

Post by Flswampwalker »

Both my son were marines. So they know how you feel.Once a marine always a marine.

They still fly the flags. I have a friend, who is 86 years old and he is still a marine and were the emblem proudly.
Equinox
Axiom
Gold Tip IV
100 gr. Spitfires
FFF string
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Swampwalker, Semper fi to them all! It just urks the hell out of me that we who are yet a Nation at War suffer such programming as NBC dares broadcast come Monday. It is bad enough that Nick Dimseldick is on there, but Layla Ali? The daughter of that draft-dodging Cassius Clay? I mean, come on! LOL
rayman

Post by rayman »

MarkMarine, I always love your editorials. I don't blame you for being worked up about it, I probably would be too. Maybe your giving these people too much credit though. The people that make the tv shows these days can't come up with hardly anything worth watching so they are just trying any idea that pops into their heads. Oh, you must have expected them to have morals too. The stars - now we are talking about people that are so superficial they can't hold down a relationship for more than 5 minutes, much less dedicate themselves to being a real role model. One of the trajedies of today is that so many kids, and adults too I'm sure, watch these shows and look up to these people as role models because they don't have any real ones to take them hunting or fishing.

The show looks stupid and will probably flop anyway.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Well said Mark...a new low even for them idiot's. :evil:
The trials & hardships of the military life will be coming into my life soon, my daughter will be getting married on Sept. 1st and in Nov. his unit (Air Force) will be deployed to Afghanistan.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

rayman wrote: One of the trajedies of today is that so many kids, and adults too I'm sure, watch these shows and look up to these people as role models because they don't have any real ones to take them hunting or fishing.
Rayman, I believe you hit the nail on the head - too many kids grew up vicariously through a TV instead of getting outside and living their own life and making their own mark on their existence. TV in my house began with the local news and ended with the local news...come 10:30 PM, all stations played the National Anthem and signed off (of course, I was in bed long before then lol). Saturdays I got to watch some cartoons until noon when they went off to make way for adult programs. Now it is 24/7 cable, sattelite, videos on demand, etcetra ecetra....when they're not playing video games.

I would have much rather gone hunting or fishing than watch a TV - but if the parents now don't have the inclination to take their kids outdoors, you can bet their offspring won't either.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

georgiaboy wrote:The trials & hardships of the military life will be coming into my life soon, my daughter will be getting married on Sept. 1st and in Nov. his unit (Air Force) will be deployed to Afghanistan.
My prayers are with you & yours. War is sure hell on the homefront too.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

War is always hell everywhere there is one. I agree w/ the Hollywood crap, let them be real soldiers for a spell..........
"Eze 18:21"