Ground blinds or tree stands???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

speezack

Re: Ground blinds or tree stands???

Post by speezack »

I have used 'climbing stands' for most of my bow hunting. But as I age... (I am 68) I have found that it is a bit easier to just sit quietly in a comfortable camo chair in a 'bush patch' or natural blind... if you have the ability to sit very still and quiet for longer periods of time... you would be surprised how effective that can be... I also use a bipod or a monopod to support my crossbow... I wear full camo... and remain very still... ears tell it all... move eyes, not head... you guys know the drill... ground blinds are good if you tend to move a bit... tree stands are of course great cause you are usually above the scent line but IMHO, movement is often just as important as scent... you are certainly safer on the ground but I think tree stands may be a bit more productive simply by virtue of line of sight that deer tend to use... but of course, they do look up... but not all the time... stay on the ground, wear a good brand of camo, sit still and don't wash your clothes or your body in "Irish Spring" :lol: 8) and most important, practice with your Excalibur. :D

Tell ya something that has done wonders for me... regardless of whether you use a tree or the ground.... take a couple of fresh apples with you... eat one every hour or so and throw the core away from your stand... you may be surprised :shock: at what comes in on that..... no, I don't think that is baiting... you just ate the apple........ :roll: ... and stay the hell away from using "skunk scent"... skunks spray when they are alarmed and that is an alarm to all other animals... including the deer your hunting.... just my advice.... :idea:
Bill
south central Virginia

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
"Will Rogers"
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have been hunting with a crossbow since 1996 and have hunted exclusively from the ground in natural blinds using "Leafy Wear" camo (sort of a ghille suit). My son does as well. We have killed many deer and all around 20-25 yards.....well maybe I shot one at 32 or something early on.
PROS:
It's easy to move from spot to spot
No stand to carry in (all I carry is a camp saw)
Can do it on public land
Very high chance of getting a double lung hit on a broadside deer

CONS:
Must be even more sensitive to scent control
Visibility (before and after the shot) can be somewhat limited
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
cmcsmitty

Post by cmcsmitty »

Being on the large side and walking on a botched knee surgery I only hunt from the ground now. I'll set up a couple blinds pre-season in a dead fall using some camo material. Scent control is more important on the ground. Good luck wichever way you decide to go.
Blackout Ibex "Dark Angel"
Big John GT 2's
PSE X-Force Vendetta
Traditions Pursuit XLT .50 Cal
DaGriz Custom
HIGHBOW

Post by HIGHBOW »

I got my nickname from the fact I always have put my stands high up or used my climber to go really high up. Having said that I perfer to be around 20' high in a stand but since I'm using a crossbow now I would consider using a ground blind or natural setup more than before.
EXCALIBUR Matrix Grizzly & AXIOM SMF, Firebolts and Boltcutters
Hunt safe and always respect what natural gives you!