What Do You Make of This? (Serving)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tman74

What Do You Make of This? (Serving)

Post by tman74 »

I had my string served at a local shop and within a handful of shots I noticed this little stray appear. It's difficult to tell in the pic but it's not unravelling (yet :wink: ) , however there's an 1/8" gap where the string is visable.

Cause for concern, or hunt away this fall? Thanks! :)
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
georgiaboy

Re: What Do You Make of This? (Serving)

Post by georgiaboy »

I would carry it back & have them reserve the string. :evil:
I wouldn't want to start the season with my serving looking like that...one man's opinion. :|
The best advice i can give you is to go on Boo's website & learn how to build your own serving jig and reserve your strings yourself. :D :D
It's not to hard, the back serve was the tricky part for me but after a few try's even i got the hang of it!! :lol: :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Boo

Post by Boo »

georgiaboy wrote:I would carry it back & have them reserve the string. :evil:
I wouldn't want to start the season with my serving looking like that...one man's opinion. :|
The best advice i can give you is to go on Boo's website & learn how to build your own serving jig and reserve your strings yourself. :D :D
It's not to hard, the back serve was the tricky part for me but after a few try's even i got the hang of it!! :lol: :wink:
You got that right!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yo it doesn't look like yer servin, it looks more like a strand of yer string ? I say that as its white servin is black, unless they got an extra piece of material in there
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315

Post by newbie »

georgiaboy wrote:I would carry it back & have them reserve the string. :evil:

I agree, I just built one of Don's metal string jigs and figure I can't do any worse then most shops around by evidence of your serving. Plus brother inlaw is making some inserts to slip in top of jig to use the jig as a gun vise.
Mike
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
rej

Post by rej »

X2 for all comments this thread. Took me 10 min. to make Don's jig. While I wait for the correct serving tool to arrive I put some heavy twine in jig and use some 100 lb. braided fish line to practice the technique, especially the backserve.
wabi

Post by wabi »

There are a couple ways to finish the serving off. One is to "back-wrap" the serving (like Boo does), and another is to wrap the final few turns of the serving over a "loop" of serving material and pull the tag end back under the last few wraps.

Could be they used a piece of white material (serving or line) to wrap over and pull the tag end of the serving back through (and it broke on them). I've had that happen a few times. :wink:
wabi
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Thanks for the replies folks. I won't be going back to that shop anytime soon and will pop on a spare string for the time being. :)
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
Dash

Post by Dash »

Over here some of the shops are not up to scratch with crossbow serving either as they do so few of them. They serve them just like a vertical bow and serving generally ends up seperating. You can get away with a lot more on a low poundage vertical bow than a crossbow. The equinox at 225lbs and with a very acute angle around the trigger claws needs a quality serving job done or it will see a problem very quickly.
joe171

Post by joe171 »

This may be a little O/T
But i bought a half dozen Excal strings in Hamilton On 4 of these string didn`t give me 50 shots befor the serving went for a crap LOL
I called Excalibur this morning really nice people to deal with problem solved 2 minuets gave me a RA number for replacement of the bow strings no questions asked WOW

Sorry my point call Excal

But I built Don`s jig yesterday

Joe