Endless loop serving question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

copperjohn

Endless loop serving question

Post by copperjohn »

So do any of you guys reserve the end loops when the serving starts to separate, or do you just toss the string? thanks
Boo

Re: Endless loop serving question

Post by Boo »

copperjohn wrote:So do any of you guys reserve the end loops when the serving starts to separate, or do you just toss the string? thanks
To reserve the loop you would have to remove all of the serving (including the closing serving) and start from scratch. At that point you are pretty much one or two steps from making a string.
If the loop serving separates it is usually where the loop is closed so it is only a cosmetic issue.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
copperjohn

Post by copperjohn »

It's separating on the serving that is in contact with the magtips.
Boo

Post by Boo »

If it's just a gap and not contacting the mag tip it's ok. Otherwise I would replace the string, it's not worth the effort.
copperjohn

Post by copperjohn »

Its just a gap. Thanks boo!!
mcgyvermark

Post by mcgyvermark »

Boo wrote:If it's just a gap and not contacting the mag tip it's ok. Otherwise I would replace the string, it's not worth the effort.
Does this mean that the main string strands are not touching the tip? If so I have a string that needs to be retired. Any harm in going till the strands start to show some wear; I realize that unless the string is taken off and inspected the wear wouldn't be visible initially. If I didn't mix up my strings this one scored a DFC membership.
Exocet
S5
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'd replace that string. Assuming there is no damage to the strands you could serve some material over the bare spots to prolong the life of the string but why take a chance over the price of a new one?
mcgyvermark

Post by mcgyvermark »

Considering how much stretch there is between a new and broken in string, loop serving separation seems inevitable. I have only ever waxed the main serving with the Excalibur serving wax. Would the use of a good string wax on the loops have helped the loop serving wraps re-distribute themselves more evenly along the stretch thus not exposing so much of the string?

Of the two strings I've used thus far, it seems that the loops are the weak link; the main servings seem to be holding up very well.
Exocet
S5
Boo

Post by Boo »

It's the nature of the beast. The strings are made from Dacron and as such have a fair amount of creep and elasticity to each strand. The creep occurs on the whole string including the loops. When using a Dacron endless loop string these situations cannot be helped. Consider that there is only half the number of strands that make up the loop and it really takes beating when the bow is shot.
Some strings will be better than others but serving separation on a Dacron string is inevitable.