TO SHOOT OR NOT

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mr meat

Re: TO SHOOT OR NOT

Post by mr meat »

I have had only one opportunity to take that shot and it would have been my first bow buck a very nice eight point! Was not my first deer with the bow i let it walk!To this day i am fine with it!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Tom

Post by Tom »

sumner4991 wrote:If you "question" the shot, then do NOT take it regardless of what someone else tells you he/she would do.

It's a personal decision based on training and your comfort level.

I know folks that make "hard" shots consistantly. Those shots are not hard for them. I also know guys that shouldn't be taking 20 yard broadside shots.

Take the shot you are prepared to make. Your skill level and comfort level should make that decision for you, Follow your gut and there will be no complaints.
There have been many quality suggestions made in this thread, but I believe that Sumner said it best. You must feel comfortable and confidant in your shot, if not, let it slide for another day or time.

But remember that if it is walking towards you, he will turn one way or the other or he will walk over you. The closer you let him come, the easier will be the shot when he actually turns away. Stay ready and be able when the deer turns and you will get your side shot which gives you the highest percentage shot for a clean quick kill.

Good luck
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I wouldn't take a head-on shot personally. I've taken a couple of quartering-to shots, but they weren't that steep of an angle. I just want to know that when I shoot, I'm going to recover the animal. I've lost a couple through the years and can still remember everything about every one of them. :(
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

thanks to all who voiced their opinion. One of you hit it right on the head. I do in fact have a stand in mind that usually presents a head on shot. Moving off the trail is not an option,as there are no trees big enough for a climber. Guess I could try shooting straight down on him but I can't get very high in this tree. Guess I will have to wait and make the decision if and when it happens. :D :D :D
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am not avocating anyone take a shot they have a ? about. As you can see this Doe came in gave me a frontal and abit right shoulder. I took my shot she ran & fell insight. Dead is Dead!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I shot this 4 pt while i was slippin n he was tippin comin to me. Right through the throat patch & went through neck bone. Look at back of his neck, i reckon i had best not shoot deer frontally!
Half Bubble Off BD360

wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm lazy. I don't shoot unless it's a good double lung shot. :lol:
Usually no blood trailing and a quick & easy recovery. :D
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

wabi wrote:I'm lazy. I don't shoot unless it's a good double lung shot. :lol:
Usually no blood trailing and a quick & easy recovery. :D
Thats the preferred way to go, i like good clean killin shots. Bein confedent in equipement & self means alot durin huntin.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

It shouldn't matter whether it's a buck of the life time or a doe, if your not confident in your shot, you shouldn't shoot.
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:If you take that shot aim for the center of the white spot under the neck. The deer will drop like a rock from you severing the spinal cord. I have killed 2 deer so far with this shot. Mind you both were under a 10 yard shot & I was sitting on the ground.
X 2.

I too have taken two deer with a frontal shot, but the circumstances were perfect to take the specific shot mentioned above. Being on ground level with the deer is a must. In both cases I was intentionally aiming for the neck facing head on with my ExoMax. Both deer dropped in their tracks. It is certainly not a shot placement I prefer, but it is possible.

If you are elevated above the deer the dynamics are completely different. There are angles from the front above the deer where I wouldn't be comfortable taking the shot with a rifle let alone a crossbow.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

This is one of those self questions only you can answere to yourself!!! Myself if the deer is between 15+25 yards and the situation is right I will do it but only if I can get a clean throat shot. but only you know your shooting ability no one else can make this desicion for you. This one I too at 15 yards I lined up on him made a bleet and when he looked up wack...Would not have tried this without the wide cutting Rage 2 blade broadheads...

Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Had a guy on a bow lease who tried it. He looked for three days and never found the deer. During the following gun season a hunter on the lease next to us shot a deer and found a partial arrow with razor tip embeded inside the chest cavity and jammed into the ribs from the inside. There are just too many variables and too small of a kill spot for such a shot IMHO. Can you imagine the misery that poor deer suffered before a bullet relieved him of his pain?
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes