TO SHOOT OR NOT

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

UPSMAN

TO SHOOT OR NOT

Post by UPSMAN »

Would like some opinions from some of you guys or gals about shooting a deer from the front. I have been visualizing possible scenarios on my hunting property for the upcoming season. I have taken several deer from the front with a rifle but not a bow. I know quite a few of you members have killed dozens of deer with a bow. My question basically comes down to this- If my buck of a lifetime comes walking down my deer trail,and he only presents me with a head-on shot,do I bow tie him or let him walk , and then bitch and moan about it all the way to the truck. :D :D
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
georgiaboy

Re: TO SHOOT OR NOT

Post by georgiaboy »

It's a small kill zone but...if you know your bow is on, the deer is not alert to any danger & your 20yds in i say shoot.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
epd1102

Post by epd1102 »

If your aim is on and your broadheads are sharp, it shouldn't be a problem. I've done it plenty of times with a vertical bow and have always had good success.
Boo

Post by Boo »

It's a low percentage shot with very little vitals exposed. So the question is, do you let him walk and get a crack at him later or do you take a chance and maybe kill him and not recover him? Personally, I'm not that hungry.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Gwen's Dilemma

Post by Gwen's Dilemma »

I passed on that shot on an 8 point a lot of years ago. Never regretted it. Over the years I've lost 3 or 4 deer and it never feels good :( . Just my 2 cents worth.
Dave
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

well, myself i would NOT shoot..just too many things to go wrong and such a small kill zone that the percentages of shooting and finding that deer are very minimal... i have seen them do it on some hunting shows ( which always make me scratch my head) but to be honest, although the adrenaline is going and you really wanna get some venison in the freezer, there is no feeling worse than shooting and losing a deer/wounding a deer... play it smart, play it safe and either wait for a higher percentage kill shot or let them walk... just my opinion
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

If you take that shot aim for the center of the white spot under the neck. The deer will drop like a rock from you severing the spinal cord. I have killed 2 deer so far with this shot. Mind you both were under a 10 yard shot & I was sitting on the ground.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

It would hurt a bit to see that big guy leave unscathed without an arrow launched, but to take a questionable shot and not recover him would hurt more i think.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
rander3141

Post by rander3141 »

Move your stand back 20yrs off the trail and take a broadside or quartering away shot. :D
2012 Eclipse XT
Firebolts with Luminocks
125 gr Rage broadheads
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

I wouldn't take the shot either. I've found that patience usually pays off and quite often that Buck will stop and turn a bit or even turn completely around a come right back by you if you wait. If you have a particular spot in mind that you're hunting, and are in a place where that is the only shot you'll have, I'd agree that you should relocate for more versatile shot opportunites. You just never know for sure and that's one thing that makes hunting so exciting. The determining factor for me is I won't pull the trigger unless I know exactly what's going to happen after the fact. If there's any question, I'll wait until I am certain. Good hunting!
"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence is effort!" M.T. Walton
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Sounds like you know this deer trail very well and suspect you already know the answer to your question.
I would locate the stand so there is no frontal shot in the mix.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

If you "question" the shot, then do NOT take it regardless of what someone else tells you he/she would do.

It's a personal decision based on training and your comfort level.

I know folks that make "hard" shots consistantly. Those shots are not hard for them. I also know guys that shouldn't be taking 20 yard broadside shots.

Take the shot you are prepared to make. Your skill level and comfort level should make that decision for you, Follow your gut and there will be no complaints.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

We all choose our shots, thar be jus as big of vital area from fron as it is from qtr. Its jus protected by tighter ribsin brisket. I have shot them from butthole to appetite & i have lost a couple thru the yrs. Sayin that i have killed hundreds of deer! I would angle a shot to catch heart n lung or the lungs. I true dead center is a tuff on cause you take out one lung or catch the heart. Unlike many i will take that shot anytime it comes!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The access point to vitals is a small area between neck and brisket, basically where the esophagus and trachea pass through. A lot can go wrong with that shot, esp from elevated stand where the angle of shot is rather steep. Arrow can hit neck or just as easily deflect from brisket or shoulder if slightly off center. I butchered a deer my neighbor had wounded with a head-on shot 2 seasons previously using a 30.06 rifle. She had gone down - like she was poleaxed - at the shot, but arose after several minutes and ran off. He tracked her through my property but eventually lost her when she crossed over into a swamp.
The shot had hit the front of the brisket, tearing out hide, cartilage and fat, leaving a gaping hole and sucking chest wound. It had closed but, not having any skin to protect it, remained moist- oozing, actually - and was covered with ground debris. Incredibly, she was healthy otherwise; in fact, had a fawn that spring. But I can't help thinking about the suffering she endured meanwhile. That alone would keep me from taking such a shot with a bow.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Personal decision. You have to live with the results either way.

F