same poi with fieldpoints and broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

same poi with fieldpoints and broadheads

Post by Masboy »

I do everything I can to get them the same so I can shoot my fieldpoints for practice after testing all the broadheads that I will hunt with to make shure that all fly great on the same arrow I will hunt with them on.some broadheads hit real close up to 50yds for me and most are dead in line with just a little height difference.the rocket steelheads I tryed shoot a couple inches low at 50yds compared to the fieldpoints with 125gr tips each and my hunting broadheads slicktrick 125 shoot 3- 1/2 inches low compared to the 125 field points.I find that both these broadheads are a little lower than the field points from 20-50 yds so I put on a 150gr fieldpoint and sighted it in at 20 yd and then tryed my 125 slicktrick and same poi as the fieldpoint.then shot at all yardages out to 50 and both shoot the same poi and I can,t tell any difference in group size .so with a little tinkering I can get about any broadhead to shoot the same poi as my fieldpoints.so now I can do all my practice with the fieldpoints and be good to go!!!! all I can say is for a fixed blade head these tricks are shooters and I shoot just as good with them as I do my fieldpoints!!!
Gamikatsu

Re: same poi with fieldpoints and broadheads

Post by Gamikatsu »

just about every broadhead company will say "field point flight". Sadly this just isn't true. I shoot G5 montecs. they fly tighter than field points for me. I attest this to the fact that my field points are walmart cheapies and just poorly made. the g5 montec is a precision made head. I have had Rage, Carbon express, G5, and muzzy heads, and the Rage and G5 flew the best. luckiliy for us, crossbows don't really need tuning. as long as both limbs are roughly equal they fly right. but... a muzzy standard 100 grain will NOT fly right from my bow... 10+ inch pattern at 20 yds. some love certain heads, because for there setup they work. If you have found your perfect setup that you are confident in... GREAT!!! that means when you pull the Trigger, you know deep inside you where that arrow is going.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I love the 100 gr. Slick Tricks Mags but I couldn't get the same POI as field points out of my Crossbow or compound bow. They would always shoot left for me about 1 to 2 inches. I usually just make some adjustment on the scope for the difference.
The Rages will shoot the same as my field pt. out to 50 yards and they really cut a massive hole in a deer.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

I think, individual shooting variances of Form... the way you pull the trigger, hold the stock, etc... really shows when shooting fixed blade heads...
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

A word about Rages............Shot a nice buck last year with one, 15yards complete pass thru, but through the liver and not the lungs. Didn't fully understand that until this weekend.

Was shooting Swhackers at 50 yds, and dinging the bull. I had electrical tape on it like it says to so the blades do not open. I forgot to check the tape on one shot and hit 4 feet above my target. What happened was a blade opened on the shot and hit the stirrup (cut a nice groove in it as well). I had seen a similar mark on the stirrup after the hunt where I shot that buck last year but didn't put 2 and 2 together. My buddy carried my bow back to the truck while I drug the deer and for whatever reason I thought it just got scratched. As soon as I saw what the Swhacker did I knew immediately why I hit 8" back on the deer last year. Without a doubt that Rage opened on the shot and I got darn lucky. I've had other shots on deer with a Rage and got poor penetration as well. Now I think this was the problem. I'll not be shooting a Rage again from my crossbow. My buddy shoots them and loves them - from his vert bow. I don't think he sees the problem because the acceleration curve on a compound and recurve are much different.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

this is shooting today in a light wind with the 150 gr fieldpoints and the 125 slicktrick broadheads on my hunting arrows sitting on my rear leaning back against my bench with my hand resting on my knee.the first picture is fieldpoint on left and slicktrick on right target at 60 yds and second picture is feildpoint on left target and slicktrick on right target at 70yds. third picture is a fieldpoint and and a slicktrick shot at each target at 80yds and I did not move my HHA enough for height at that range. and also sum lucky shots with the fieldpoints at 60 and 70 hitting the same hole!!!!!

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The reason your slicktricks drop below the POI of your field points at 50 yards is due to wind drag on the blades. There is no fix.

I find that 3.5 inches seems to be a little excessive for wind drag, but, it's the only explaination.

I found some data on wind drag on fixed blade broadheads at one time and they did lose some speed down range, but, it was marginal. However, it doesn't take much loss to equate to a 3 inch drop at 50 yards.

Anyone know the math?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The math will be complicated and depend heavily or the shape of the BH (coefficient of friction)....but you should be able to measure the difference with a chrony setup by the target. Accuracy is good enough on these bows to "risk" putting your chronograph down there.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I know the blades have to effect some and they are a little longer than my 125gr fieldpoints but with the 150gr fieldpoints are about the same lenth as the broadheads but heavier and I shoot a heavy arrow of 522gr with the 125 tips and with the 150 tips weigh 547 gr and all I know is by shooting them is the 150 fieldpoints shoot the same poi as the 125 slicks from 20-80 yds and I,m happy as a pig in poo!! only thing I,ve found is the wind has a little more effect on the broadheads. on calm days I see no difference in acurracy.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

With your heavy arrow . . .I suppose the drop is reasonable if we blame it on the drag.

I'm still sticking with the mechanicals when I hunt. However, I have Slick Tricks in my quiver too.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen