Rage slipcam rear deploying crossbow 125. gr

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

denisdendenis

Rage slipcam rear deploying crossbow 125. gr

Post by denisdendenis »

Any good or bad comment for Rage slipcam for crossbow,was thinking to change this year , was looking for better blood trail than the bolt cutter :? . I shoot a deer last year very little blood trail did find the deer :D
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
srhall32

Re: Rage slipcam rear deploying crossbow 125. gr

Post by srhall32 »

My opinion, look elsewhere. Spitfire better solution but a double lung hit deer is headed for the freezer with even the smallest fixed blade...we (family hunting group of 6) had two large bucks run off with practically no penetration using two blade rages last season. One, a nice 11 point was back in the bait 5 days later with a golf ball sized bald spot behind the fore leg. That deer came to the bait the rest of the season but never again in shooting light.
Both deer were shot with Equinox's at less than 20 yards and both arrows (Firebolts) broke at broadhead....both impacts were very loud "cracks".
roly

Post by roly »

I feel BH are a personal choice, so each to his own
I use Rage 3 blades and love them, won't use any thing else.
Firefight5243

Post by Firefight5243 »

I have used the Rage 2 blades for the last few years, I use the 125's in my crossbow, and the 100's in my compound bow. I have never had any problems with them deploying early/ or not at all.

I have tons of pics of the damage they do, and honestly the furthest I have had to track is about 40 yrd, which wasnt hard becuse there was buckets of blood everywhere. I will use nothing but Rage until they do me wrong.

The only down fall is they are really one time use on the blades, and really should get blade replacement kit with them to ensure that they work as they are sapposed to. The blades are very thin.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I've heard good and bad things about the Rage. With that being said, I switched to 125 grain Swhachers this year. From everything that I've heard and read about them, they're just as good as the Rage, but without any of the negative comments and experiences. :wink: They've been selling like hot cakes this year, so they're pretty tough to find. Bowhunters Warehouse still had some in stock though.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I'm with Big58cal....I am also trying the Swhackers this year. Take a look at some of the Swhacker BH testing videos on Youtube. Lots of head to head comparisons to the Rage. 3 years ago I hit a nice buck right behind the shoulder at about 7 yards. Got maybe 4" penetration and never got the deer. Last year I hit a buck, but 8" behind my aiming point - at 15 yards. There is a nice scar in the stirrup of my Vortex proving that the head opened up as soon as I pulled the trigger. God blessed me with that deer as the hit was still mortal. At that point I sent the 6 I had with all the extra blades etc to a buddy who shoots a vert bow. He has no problems with them. I belive the difference in the acceleration curves between a recurve and a compound and the higher draw weights of crossbows vs vert bows explain why the things open up early out of a crossbow...and especially an Excal. I'll not be shooting them again from my Excal.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

I'm 10/10 deer with the Rage 3. All dropped dead under 45 yards except one deer that had one lung/liver hit. Leg, ribs and shoulder bone all got full penetration. All deer were in and out done deals.

I do suggest inspecting each Rage for positive blade seating before loading them on deck. I'm sure many have not done this and then blamed the broadhead for premature opening. Pulling them out of the quiver may unseat a blade. This is just part of my automatic check list when hunting. Do your part and Rage will do the rest

In addition I use a dental elastic on the forward part of the blades to insure positive seating. This is easy to do.

I do resharpen my blades with my Lanky and tossed a few blades if bent.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Enormous ...My experience has all been with the 100 grain 2 blade. And I was very anal about checking the blade seating on the O ring. It's the first thing I checked once I got situated in my stand. But to be fair you are not using the head as designed since you add the dental elastic. But I also think the 3 blade might get a little better penetration. That 2" cut going into the hide takes alot of energy. However, I will say that when the head functions properly they are very devastaing on game. Even the deer I hit last year with an opened blade left a 2 foot wide blood trail. You could see it from 20 yards away. Looked like someone dumped red paint on a log he jumped over. Good Luck this year. Shoot straight and eat well.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

The dental elastic was suggested by a tech at Rage. It is very popular to archers who stalk through the woods and use the elastic to prevent twigs from unseating the blades. The elastic does not hinder performance at all.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

If I were to shoot them again that is the way I would go. But the Swhacker videos have convinced me.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I am 9 for 9 with my 3 blade Rages but with a compound bow. I'm waiting to see how they do out of my crossbow and a live animal. I have shot them several times out of the crossbow even out to 50 yards and they are dead on with field points. I use the dental bands also with no issues.

It seems a quartering away shot cuts the biggest hole on the deer for me, some have been 4 to 5 inches and it rips the hide before digging in.

September 10th I should get to try them out. Good Luck
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

As with any popular product there are going to be people who love them and those that hate them. that said the Rage broadhead is the most popular and widly used mechanical broadhead in the world and there must be a reason for it. I use the 125 in my crossbow because I was not getting the groupes I wanted from the 100. I think that the 100 was just too light for my crossbow. After the switch i shoot 1 in groups yse i said 1 inch groups. I have killed 4 deer with them last year and 3 the year before. Let me tell you it really, really looks like some one took a pitcher of blood and poured it along the trail. I have used the 100 grain ones in my vertical bow and the same results. All my friends use them too, and say the same thing. Now I have used the regular 125 2 blades and the new 125 2 blade crossbow heads and I don't see a bit of difference in the preformance or ability to stay closed. The only drawback I do see with them is you have to watch them they do have a tendency of opening up in your quiver. I would like to get the dental elastics but where do you find them? good luck Oh but the way throw all your field points away and use the free practice head hits exactatly where the hunting head hit.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

All my experience is with the 100 gr 2 blade.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

The Chief wrote: I would like to get the dental elastics but where do you find them? .
Ask your dentist first. Tell the receptionist you require
some for a hobby project. Also, any Orthodontist will have them handy as well.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

At least the Swhackers don't require any "special" stuff that you have to buy extra. :roll:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.