BH preferences

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rej

BH preferences

Post by rej »

I am experimenting with arrows. Recently got 2" blazers and bolt tool. I had to refletch first arrow but now things are okay. I am using firebolt shafts as I have lots of them. On first pair of blazer fletched arrows I put on nap 125 Gr. hellrazor fixed bh. POI moved up but still on centre. This arrow is 25 gr. lighter than boltcutters but penetration is better, even with a slightly larger cutting diameter. My question is, which BH is all round tougher, the chisel tip boltcutter or cut on contact hellrazor?
Big58cal

Re: BH preferences

Post by Big58cal »

I'm guessing the chisel tip would be. The hellrazor tip looks like it could be turned, whereas a chisel tip can't really be.

With that being said though, I don't think you're going to hit anything on a deer that will turn that tip. :lol: On the other side of the deer though, that may be a different story. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
epd1102

Post by epd1102 »

I've used Thunderhead 125 broadheads since about 1988 and I've never hit anything with one hard enough to damage the broadhead. In my younger days, I used to shoot a 93-pound draw on my compound so there was plenty of energy there to do some damage. Nowadays, I only draw about 80 pounds with my compound. I just got my Exomax and the broadheads fly well but I haven't hunted with them yet.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

My thought is that cut on contact BHs are better for something with a thick hide like a bison or elk, and the chisel points (trocar tips) are great for thin skinned animals like deer because they absolutely bust bone. This year I am shooting Swhackers and Muzzy MX-3s at deer and the Montec CS at a bison.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
mb5200

Post by mb5200 »

being very new to bow hunting I have only hit one animal (deer) and used the boltcutter. It did what it was supposed to and I harvested my animal this morning and don't see the need to change.
rej

Post by rej »

Thank you all for the replies and some good points made. You can stay with what you bought, nothing wrong with that, or shoot and test other things. I bought the vortex for hunting but it has become an enjoyable hobby so I shoot a lot. The excalibur seems adaptable to a lot of products out there and can be quickly dialed in to them. I notice the montec cs and hellrazor are quite similar. I hunt moose and elk so maybe this is the better bh for these. The blazer fletched firebolt with 125 gr. hellrazor flies very accurate(1.5" @50 yd.)Younger eyes could probably do better. NAP make a cut on contact called the razorcap. weight can be varied from 100 - 200 gr. in 25 gr. steps by changing the ferrule. Thinking 150gr. will give better accuracy but will it? That is the fun of it all. BTW, the bison north of here are wood bison. Size of a locomotive and vitality that is legendary. Think I would want a rifle back up for those brutes as they will not hesitate to charge and will stand guard over a fallen brother, sometimes for quite a while. You are a courageous hunter. Big58 comment about damage on a pass through was something I had not considered. Learn something every time I come on here.