Applying new vanes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bullzeye

Applying new vanes

Post by Bullzeye »

So I am thinking of changing the vanes on my firebolts, and I think I have decided on 2in Blazers, using an Arizona EZ Fletcher bolt tool.

Now I want to pick your minds on vane and glue removal,arrow prep and glue. The more I read the more confused I get, some say to use acetone to clean shafts, others say only denatured alcohol or comet. Then there are all kinds of opinions on glues, Goattuff, AAE max bond, super glue, Local Time gel, Fletchtite Platinum and on and on.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
munch

Re: Applying new vanes

Post by munch »

i clean my old blazers and wraps off with a razor knife then a quick rub down with acetone .also i wipe the base of the blazers with it to clean them then use blue top locktite super glue gel .or if i can't get that gorilla glue works good too
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

you can do and use all the above no two hardly do it the same.me I use blue top gorilla super glue and it,s cheap and works great.and acetone for cleaning.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Keep it simple. I clean with accetone, use medical gloves to keep skin oils out of your work and prevent skin injury from the solvent.
I'm partial to Fletchtite Platinum, so that is what I use and I let it set for a good 1/2 hour and gently release them from the AZ Bolt tool.
Thats it, shoot and enjoy your project.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am not fond of usin acetone on carbon shafts. I scrup my carbon shafts wid Ajax n rinse wid very hot water. I use a sharp knife to clean old vanes n glue off. I use Fletch tite & or Gorilla blue top glue fer vanes goriila blue top fer inserts
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
rej

Post by rej »

I use a fletch stripper made by Saunders(cheap and works good). I got a powder compound from Arizona rim that comes with fine Scotch Brite to clear away glue and scale. Finish by wiping with denatured alcohol(shaft and vane base) I do not like acetone on a carbon shaft either. It will dissolve a lot more things than alcohol. I use Goat Tough super glue but many on here say blue Gorilla Glue works great. It is a lot cheaper and you can get it a lot easier.
strum

Post by strum »

i started using the blue top gorilla glue last year and ill never go back to anything eles..i havent torn a vane yet ..and belive me i have abused em too..
the best tip i found is to place three small drops on the vane and then use a toothpick to distribute the glue..
another great item i like is the shrick fletch twister vanes from NAP
takes seconds to apply.no jig needed..shoot well and so far mine are holding up
i shot one into my bag once and it found a weak spot .so i had to pull it out through the back..i just knew the fletch would be wasted but it held up..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Using the AZ Bolt fletcher too. Strip vanes with notched vinyl inlay cutter blade in box cutter. Wipe off arrow shaft with acetone on extra fine steel wool. Using Gorilla brand super glue as well ... it's latex fortified, flexible, don't crack as easily as some 'crazy glues.' Keep the glue fresh by storing in frig. Have fletched dozens of arrows for self and others - some 3-4 times - no problem with acetone and carbon. Wipe out inside of shaft with it too when gluing in insert and nocks.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
roly

Post by roly »

On new arrows I wash with soap and water
then wipe with alcohol
On refletching I scrape and use acetone

I also use the platinum glue.
You do have to let is sit a little longer.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I use a razor knife to remove the vane and glue.
Very fine steel wool to remove last of the glue
Alcohol to clean the shaft and base of the vane
Then 2 small drops of blue top gorilla glue - spead out evenly on vane
Put arrow in EZ-Bolt
Release botom spring
Add top cap to hold it all in place
Wait about 1-2 min
Gently remove the arrow - clean fletch tool

I've shot these arrows less than 30 minutes from fletching like this with no problems.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Well it looks like I will be picking up some blue top gorilla glue, I think I saw some on sale at Crappy Tire yesterday. Thanks everyone !!
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
GGC

Post by GGC »

If you READ the manufacturers instructions, you will be off to a better start and longer lasting solution. NAP has a great explanation on the back of their packaging. Save yourself time, agravation, and money by doing the correct combo of prep and glue. You can probably find the info on their website, also.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

strum wrote:i started using the blue top gorilla glue last year and ill never go back to anything eles..i havent torn a vane yet ..and belive me i have abused em too..
the best tip i found is to place three small drops on the vane and then use a toothpick to distribute the glue..
another great item i like is the shrick fletch twister vanes from NAP
takes seconds to apply.no jig needed..shoot well and so far mine are holding up
i shot one into my bag once and it found a weak spot .so i had to pull it out through the back..i just knew the fletch would be wasted but it held up..
I have been using the blue top Gorilla glue as well. I havent tried the toothpick trick yet but have been running a bead down the center of the vane in the inverted V groove, then take a q-tip and make one swipe down it. It leaves glue in the V groove, but not so much as to be very messy.It sure helped keep all cleaner and neater. And I havent had any come loose yet.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Great stuff, appreciate all these tips.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone