Squirrel hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

Squirrel hunting

Post by gerald strine »

I had a good day squirrel hunting today.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/dscf0679y.jpg/
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Masboy

Re: Squirrel hunting

Post by Masboy »

some nice squirrels! some fine eating to me.see all kind when I,m deer hunting and would like to try with my crossbow for them . may have to get some blunts.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like the main ingredient for a good pot pie to me!

Squirrels have been hard to hunt here this year. Good nut crop and they are not concentrated in any one spot. :roll:
wabi
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

wabi wrote:Looks like the main ingredient for a good pot pie to me!

Squirrels have been hard to hunt here this year. Good nut crop and they are not concentrated in any one spot. :roll:
No pot pie but I am having a Squirrel stew tomorrow great stuff .
This time of year with the nuts still on the trees all the shots are at the tops of the trees no ground shots until the nuts drop . Shots can be tough but you get to see the squirrel fall from great heights,concentrate on the hickorie trees in the early season Squirrels go for these first I do not think the acorns are fully ripe the first few weeks
Today was the Michigan opening day of small game a perfect day no wind,cool morning,sunny
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I am thinking Kentucky Fried Squirrel, ummmm. Would love to try them in the batter. To small around here to eat.
Raymond
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

Been thinking of trying them, what's a good way to prepare them?
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

bigsy wrote:Been thinking of trying them, what's a good way to prepare them?
For a wonderful Squirrel stew take two or three squirrels quartered place in a dutch oven or crock pot add cut potatoes, carrots,a good size onion ,sweet banana peppers,minced garlic,salt,pepper,honey,two cans gravy,one can water and cook until it falls of bone it will take all day in a crock pot say seven hours on high,or a couple hours in the dutch oven baked on 350. I like to pull all of the meat off of the bones before serving and then put it back in the pot, serve with a hearty bread or rolls.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

gerald strine wrote:
bigsy wrote:Been thinking of trying them, what's a good way to prepare them?
For a wonderful Squirrel stew take two or three squirrels quartered place in a dutch oven or crock pot add cut potatoes, carrots,a good size onion ,sweet banana peppers,minced garlic,salt,pepper,honey,two cans gravy,one can water and cook until it falls of bone it will take all day in a crock pot say seven hours on high,or a couple hours in the dutch oven baked on 350. I like to pull all of the meat off of the bones before serving and then put it back in the pot, serve with a hearty bread or rolls.
Thanks I am going to try that. Might have to get a Gamo as the squirrels in my city are huge!!! :twisted:
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Congrats on the squirrels! I think I'm going to take break from the deer hunting this coming weekend and see if I can thin some of the squirrels that have been aggrivating the crap out of me the past few weeks. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
rayman

Post by rayman »

I ussually wait until after Thanksgiving to take Robert squirrel hunting. Get the deer hunting out of my system first. The squirrels seem to taste better after thanksgiving anyway.

Mom used to cook squirrels by frying them first. Then make a pan of homemade pepper gravy, none of that canned stuff, and put the squirrels back in the gravy to simmer for about an hour to the point of nearly coming off the bone. Then serve with white rice and zipper or white acre peas. Good stuff.

We started cooking them in the crock pot last year too. :)
footed shaft

Post by footed shaft »

My Benjamin Discovery is sighted in and ready to go for the 25th!! Looking forward to dropping a few bushy tailed tree climbing rats!!
:) bill
houser52

Post by houser52 »

Lots of squirrels around here too but our season don't come in until mid October. All of the squirrels I've seen up close have a bad case of wobbles.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Try putting 2 or 3 in a crock pot cut up w/ bbq sauce. Just before they are done, take out, cool, and ickthe meat off the ones. Put tat back in crock pot w/ lid off for a half hour to an hour.

Eat on a bun, works good for rabbits as well.........
"Eze 18:21"
HammerNAnvil

Post by HammerNAnvil »

There's a season for squirrel? Where I live small game can be hunted anytime of year anywhere, you just cant trap them.