POI between field points & Bolt Cutters?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deerstalker

POI between field points & Bolt Cutters?

Post by Deerstalker »

It seems that the POI, (for my son & I), changes between Firebolt field points & Bolt Cutters on both the Equinox and Axiom SMF at 30 yards. Both field points & Bolt Cutters are 150gr. Does this seem normal and/or are we doing something wrong? We had to adjust both up/down & left/right on both X-Bows. We left both models dead on for the Bolt Cutters at 30 yards and we both shot each one. We used the same bolt for the BHs and the same bolt for the field points, (2 bolts). Thanks
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Boo

Re: POI between field points & Bolt Cutters?

Post by Boo »

There are a couple of things that can cause this but if it is consistent then it may be caused by tiller. Tiller is not adjustable on these bows and a difference in left and right limbs will send a broadhead off of the field tip POI. Tiller will cause a consistent POI change so all you have to do is adjust the scope. There's nothing wrong. You might find another broadhead that is not as sensitive or you can go to a mechanical broadhead. If it is a wild difference then call Danny Miller (740 483 2312), he may direct you to Woody's (I think) in PA.
I have a couple of bows that have a difference in POI with broadheads as well.
don
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sometimes its not the model nor the BH or the scope, its the arrow itself. You may have to tune yer arrows to shoot well with yer model. Tunin yer arrows is all about sq'in the shaft prior to installin the inserts then ck'in to see if'en insert face is also sq. The fletchin plays a big part in tunin yer arrows also
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
GGC

Post by GGC »

Take a white out pen and mark the string on eitherside, close to the rail.
When you cock the bow use the dots to keep the string centerd. There are no guarantees that POI will be the same with any field point/broadhead. If you can get good groups with the bolt cutters, that's all that matters.
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

I am beginning to believe that one of the causes may be that the arrows may have a different FOC. My bolts with 125 gr broadheads have an FOC of 17.6% but with 125 gr bullet points have an FOC of 19.2%.
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far