request for bowhunting advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Jimma

request for bowhunting advice

Post by Old Jimma »

Hi Excalibur Brothers and Sisters:

I'm just an old man who is finally getting to do some of the things he delayed doing... and that includes bowhunting. I am a rookie.

I've read "Bowhunting for Deer" by HR Wambold (1979). I've learned that I don't know much, and even if you are very stealthy about it (eliminating scent, noise, appearance), are good with your bow, and in shape, if you haven't scouted out the trails where the deer are running and know which way the wind is running, you'll just be lucky to see them.

I spent the day yesterday deep in a small part of the Lake Russell WMA here in GA yesterday, and found open areas where a rookie would be attracted to... and was struck by the vastness of the forest and mountains that surrounded me. What I learned is that learning principles out of a book is good... applying them skillfully will require dedication and persistence to gain experience to enjoying the rewards of hunting.

I realize this is a tad off topic for a commercial crossbow hunting forum, but if any of you'd like to provide me with gems of bowhunting wisdom (eg, prehunt preparation, essential gadgets, inessential gadgets), please send them privately to me by email (I think you can get my email by clicking somewhere by my handle "Old Jimma").

If you have tips for using an excalibur (e.g., do's and don'ts), kindly list them here. (For example, how do you load a second bolt quietly and quickly?)

Thank you.
Old Jimma from the Old Country
Old Jimma
(from the Old Country)
vixenmaster

Re: request for bowhunting advice

Post by vixenmaster »

:lol: Looks like ppl. ain't tellin ya nutten. Some things i have learned over the past 55 yrs of huntin. Use bakin soda fer all clothes washin n bathin. No scented anything, don't waste money on store bought scents! use natural area pine oak cedar. Quiet cockin fer 2nd shot nada! Find where yer deer be eatin & get between them & beddin areas watch where 2 or 3 trails intersect. Warm air rises cool air falls so watch where you get in hills n bottoms!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
rej

Post by rej »

Have not heard of a way to reload quiet, unless you get one of those new Parkers with C02 recock featureand they will make some noise. Bowhunting is open or will soon be in most places. Go out there and work the wind and apply what you know. In the off season get out as much as possible and develop your skills. Next season you will be much better prepared.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I done forgot most things I ever learned! but one of the best places to setup is where two different covers meet like a stand of hardwoods and pine or a thicket meet.and deer love to come out of a corner. I always aim a little low like for the heart because I most always hit a little high.I don,t know about where your at but around here if your after a buck you can,t beat the last week of oct thru the second week in November. works for me.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

There's a college degree' worth of info posed on here if you have the patience to sort for it, lol. Good Luck!
"Eze 18:21"
bugs

Post by bugs »

Coming from the gal who learned everything she knows from this site and just got my first deer last year :D I knew nothing about hunting or crossbows and all of my questions were answered, some were crazy and simple but no one made fun of me. They even gave me the confidence to walk alone in the dark. What I do know is tricks are still mixed with luck. If the wind is right scent I doubt matters. I have rushed out the odd day with no shower and just sprayed some scent stuff on (or not) and still seen deer because the wind was right. After many days of nothing the deer I got was seen as soon as I sat in my blind and my bow still in the case. Know what your bow can do and what you are capable of shooting I is most important. That means close shots and how far can you turn when you shoot. Allow for the angle of your arrow. Most do not take any shot over 30 yards to be sure the shot is good and no twig is in the way. Scouts, find a trail and set up 20 yards away or so. Good luck and ask away around here.
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Best way is to get in the woods and enjoy it. Work at it, but it wont seem so much like work.You will figure out your own style and what works for you and what doesnt. Most of all .....have a good time. Slow down enough to take it all in and let us know the results.Good luck! It is not so much about the kill as the experience.
Old Jimma

Post by Old Jimma »

Many thanks to all for sharing your wisdom and encouragement!

Sincerely,
Old Jimma
Old Jimma
(from the Old Country)
Dash

Post by Dash »

Go hunting or looking for game with "plenty of patience". As you get sightings or get your first shot off you start to gain experience on what works, which you slowly build on.
You will find a lot of conflicting information on the forum, most of it good. But animals and thier habits will vary from area to area, as well as with terrain and seasonal changes. What works for me may not work for you. Finding a likeminded hunting mate in your area may give you a jumpstart to your hunting skills and area knowlege.
Scoping out hunting areas with a well hidden game cam can let you know if your in the right area to start with, as well as the times that game are frequenting your trail/area. When your in position get into the "Zone", no sharp movements, listen for every sound, get used to useing your peripheral vision etc. We are all natural hunters by DNA. We just have to tune in to instictive skills that are not used as much in our modern age lifes.
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

The best tip I can offer is that hunting, like most other activities is best done with a group of good friends and/or family.

I am sure your books covered most of the basics regarding deer hunting but one tip I have found helps a bit lately is using Google Earth to check out your hunting area. Depending on when they last took pictures of your area, the aerial pictured can be very detailed and may give you some insight into where the potential food & water locations are. You can also tilt the picture to give you some idea of how deep the gullies are and how high the hills are. Generally deer are like us in that we all try to find the easiest way from the spam to the bed room and sometimes the pictures can give you a place to start looking. Narrow the area down and do a lot of walking, looking and listening (we call it squirrel hunting around here) looking for well used trails.

Scrapes and rubs are also a good sign but we generally have better luck hunting trails rather than rubs and scrapes. Again guys are pretty much the same, we like to show off, fool around with our buddies but when the time is right we will seek out and follow the ladies where ever they go, and the ladies are generally creatures of habit so they like to follow trails.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good :D
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
Old Jimma

Post by Old Jimma »

Thanks Dash and Redpole!
Old Jimma
(from the Old Country)
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Buy some ladder stands.Mine are 15,17 1/2, 18' tall.
Use a hunters saftey vest and lifeline.
Buy a rangefinder.
Practice shooting.Wash hunting clothing in no scent soap and spray down when going hunting.
Use google earth over your hunting area to see the terrain.Buy the rattle bag and grunt call for the rut!
When on stand remain still and when the deer comes in you must be quiet and don't move when he's looking at you!If he's walking i'll bleat at him to stop him and then shoot when he looks to see where the bleat came from.
Buy a excalibur, ten point crossbow,the only two brands i considered to be top notch.
Buy some good camo clothing.
Buy a game trail camera
Don't forget to bring a camera for your hunt!
We love pics!Good luck!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Old Jimma . . .small world, I was at Tallulah Gorge yesterday doing some hiking. First time there, nice place.

My advice . . just keep shooting until you are very comfortable with your bow. If you find something that isn't to your liking, then post the problem here on the forum.

You can also learn the search function at the top of the page and research about any topic . . .it's a great tool because, most all your questions have been answered . . .just a matter of knowing how to find them.

Welcome to the forum.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
strum

Post by strum »

I have a friend in alabama who always takes more deer than anyone i know,,,once we were talkingand he told me he is no better hunter than anyone eles ..he said what makes him succesful is the fact that he is in the woods every moment he can possilbly be..
his thinking and i agree, is you can take all your knowlege and experiance with you (and use it) but luck plays the biggest part..so hunt ..hunt ..hunt..
it narrows the odds .
welcome to the forum from a fellow georgianian :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
rayman

Post by rayman »

It's mostly common sence. Learn from your booboos. A few tips.

Be safe, don't fall out of your stand and don't get shot walking around on public land. Keep a small flashlight pointed down when you are walking in or out in low-light conditions.

Don't know the terrain your hunting in, but look around in natural corridors like drains, hardwood strands, or just in the woods from a clearcut or field, for a lot of deer sign and pick out a nice spot for a stand or blind.

Be confident with you equipment of choice. Try hard not to wound animals.