request for bowhunting advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Jimma

Re: request for bowhunting advice

Post by Old Jimma »

Hi Guys:

Thanks again for your great advice! I think I'll get a GPS so that I can get back to my car, also.

Old Jimma
Old Jimma
(from the Old Country)
Old Jimma

Post by Old Jimma »

Hi Excalibur Bow-People...

I've got one more question... this one about scent control of your Excalbur bow and its case.

Would this include
  • washing your Excalibur softcase in baking soda and water,
  • wiping down your Excalibur bow with unscented wipes, and
  • sealing your bow in its softcase, and that softcase in an airtight plastic bag?
This seems to be suggested at: http://www.prohuntersjournal.com/article/?a=7

Thanks,
Old Jimma
Old Jimma
(from the Old Country)
joe171

Post by joe171 »

vixenmaster wrote::lol: Looks like ppl. ain't tellin ya nutten. Some things i have learned over the past 55 yrs of huntin. Use bakin soda fer all clothes washin n bathin. No scented anything, don't waste money on store bought scents! use natural area pine oak cedar. Quiet cockin fer 2nd shot nada! Find where yer deer be eatin & get between them & beddin areas watch where 2 or 3 trails intersect. Warm air rises cool air falls so watch where you get in hills n bottoms!
listen to this man my friend what he will tell you is the Real Deal
Joe171
Old Jimma

Post by Old Jimma »

Thanks, Joe. I appreciate it.

Old Jimma
Old Jimma
(from the Old Country)
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

Some really good advice has already been offered, but the most important factors to me are:
1) Location - Picking the right spot for your stand(s) is vital to getting a good opportunity for a shot. If you can, have several spots so you can be down wind of your target area. Get there and settled in before daylight for morning hunts.
2) Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more so you will know the capabilities of both your equipment and yourself. Your point of impact will be different when shooting from elevations compared to shooting level. Get a laser rangefinder with arc technology or practice shooting from elevations. If you don't have a rangefinder, you can mark the area distances from your stand(s) so you will know how far the shot is before you take it.
3) Camo is helpful but perhaps the most important is having your face covered. Deer recognize that oval face as danger at a very early age and can see it from a long distance. Camo is only as good as you are at keeping quiet and still at the right moments and when you must move, do it very slowly and quietly, and only when there are no eyes on you. Scan the surroundings of the deer you are watching. It's more than likely that there's another one in the back ground that you didn't notice at first; that could be looking in your direction, and they will bust you if you let them.
4) Take only ethical shots that you are confident in making, and will know the outcome before you pull the trigger.
5) When aiming, you should be aiming at a spot the size of a dime on the deer and not a larger area. Visualize both entry and exit of your arrow so that you are sure you'll be passing through vitals.
6) A relaxed deer will make a much better target than an excited or nervous deer. You may have to aim a tad lower on a nervous deer because they will squat to jump when they hear the sound. Hope this helps...
"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence is effort!" M.T. Walton