equinox breaks today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Re: equinox breaks today

Post by Pydpiper »

That would be terrifying! Glad you went hurt.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Glad your okay. Just had my first dry fire, Whoa Nelly, I can't imagine the front of my bow dry firing. :)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I can truely say i have never saw nor heard of that happenin. Curious was it a new bought or did you buy used ? If'en it were used reckon that person mayhave been doin some parts changin & had a brain fart! :shock:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Thanks for the heads up ! Derf after reading I thought it's been awhile since I looked over the bolts on my Nox . To my surprise I could turn both of the bolts that hold the limbs on by hand ! I might have be next. I took them out and put more loctite on and tightened up tight . This maybe something us Nox shooters have to keep an eye on and everyone else might want to give theirs a check over. I haven't had any problems or strange noises or any kind of trouble with my nox it's been SO RELABLE that I have taken it for granite and maybe a check for loose bolts will be back into my program! Thanks again Derf. Glad your OK !
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I checked my new Nox & all bolts are tight where I could not turn them with the Allen wrench. Is there any torque specks on the screws?? Thanks, New Vortex is due today which is for my oldest son.

Side note - I watched 2 spotted fawns last night for about an hour. They were eating acorns & some of my corn. I have couple of the Gander Mountain deer blocks set out but these deer showed no interest in them. One was a doe and the other a buck with little button antlers barley visible. Their spots were faded and I did not see the mother doe anywhere. What a way to spend the evening!
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

IF this was "metal fatigue" - could you estimate the number of shots you have put through it?
Glad no one was hurt
mark 10 :13
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

This is an extremely odd accident and in my 10 years working here have never seen the bolts holding the limbs break. Some people think they can adjust the draw weight by turning the main limb bolts but that is just a recipe for disaster.

I guess we will have to wait and see until we get the crossbow in our shop to figure out what happened. Sounds very strange though.

Regards,

Peter
derf

Post by derf »

was just talking to peter at excalibur very nice guy. he said even if the bolts were change or swithed with the riser to rail bots to the limbs there should be enough meat and threads there to hold it in. they are going to check it out. will keep the forum updated. regards derf
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:I guess we will have to wait and see until we get the crossbow in our shop to figure out what happened. Sounds very strange though.

Regards,

Peter
Like I said, I'm betting Kevin worked on this one. :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Glad you're alright derf! Not to make light of what happened, but the way I look at it is pretty much just like Peter, it's a FREAK! Weird stuff happens all the time. There could have been a tiny flaw in one of the bolts that eventually caused it to fail, and when it went, it set a whole chain of other events. The Equinox is the beast and everything is engineered to work in conjunction with all the other parts. If one part fails at a critical point, there's no telling what could happen. :shock:

The good thing is that just about any kind of break down on an Excalibur is extremely rare. :D
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
derf

Post by derf »

totally agree big 58 cal. excalibur still the best on the market. derf
derf

Post by derf »

hey big 58 cal, what is the story behind kevin you are talking about. derf
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

derf wrote:hey big 58 cal, what is the story behind kevin you are talking about. derf
Kevin, aka "Doemaster" on the forum works at Excalibur factory and has for a long time.Solid, good as gold folks,58's just funnin' with him.( I think)lol
derf

Post by derf »

to funny big58cal. now i got the story . derf
strum

Post by strum »

just a shot in the dark here ..but..i could be that that big bolt was crossthreaded in and the threads lost there bite and when it let go it took out the two smaller bolts..sorry that happend to you man and like its been said..im also glad your not hurt..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Derf it is their accent from down south that gets lost in translation . :lol:
I will have to see the bow before we know anything .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus