Moderators, please check. Thanks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gsgeller

Moderators, please check. Thanks

Post by gsgeller »

Hello,

My name is Gordon Geller, and I am working for a research group at the University of Waterloo. We are currently conducting an experiment in the Beverly Swamp, which requires our researches to be in the swamp night and day. We are aware that this is currently hunting season, and that the swamp is a legal hunting area. To this end, we were hoping that it would be possible for the moderators to send out a message to every forum member to explain the situation and to ensure that those who are hunting in the swamp are aware of the situation and are sure to be extra cautious to avoid shooting toward our people. We have constructed boardwalks through the swamp which we are happy to allow the hunters to use to travel, we simply request that the equipment be respected and that hunters make sure to be careful during their hunt to ensure the safety of our researchers. If this is possible, please let me know, and we can work together to draft a message that will explain the situation. Thank you very much, and good hunting.

Sincerely,
Gordon Geller
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Moderators, please check. Thanks

Post by Doe Master »

It is very possible that not every person in the swamp would frequent this forum .
Good luck
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Post appropriate signage at access points.

Just have your workers wear hunter orange or reflective safety vests and they will be safe.

You should also be aware that hindering or harassing hunters is against the law.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Personaly, I don't need a private message from a moderator to tell me not to shoot people and wreck their equiptment. Assuming otherwise is insulting.

In case anyone hunts that swamp, below is a photo of a white tailed deer, followed by a photo of Gordon, Gordon is the one without the antlers, Hunt safe!

Gordons contact information.

519-888-4567 ext.31325
email. [email protected]
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
gsgeller

Post by gsgeller »

Hi guys,

Thanks for checking the message, regardless of the way it was taken. I am going to reply to the posts all in this message, but in order of their posting. Let me first state however, that indeed, I am not a hunter myself. I stick to water for my leisure. That being said:

Doe Master: Thanks for the input! This is something that I have taken into consideration, but I have found that some people who do hunt the swamp use this forum (though not necessarily the crossbow hunting portion perhaps), and so the intent was to get in contact with those who do use it so we can at least cover our bases there.

Ont_Excal: Thanks for the suggestions. We have and are still posting more signs at access points and equipment in order to provide information on what is occurring, though not posting anything trying to imply that the use of the boardwalks is unacceptable (as stated, we don't mind if they are used by hunters for travel). We have also already are wearing hunter orange (as much as we were able to obtain, alas we started the shopping near the opener) and there is a push right now to have small bells attached to the first aid kit which our workers will be carrying as an extra precaution. As to hindering or harassing hunters - we have no intention of either, and in fact I think we have more enabled hunters to be able to travel through the outer reaches of the swamp quicker. In either case, we have no intention of being in the way, we are interested simply in doing our work.

Pydpiper: We are not assuming anyone needs this message, and do not mean to be insulting with it. We are just trying to take every precaution we can to ensure the safety of everyone involved. It is simply a matter of trying to communicate as best we can to ensure that those who do hunt the swamp know what is going on so that both our team and the hunters can feel safe and informed.

BeerNutz: We decided not to opt for wearing the deer costumes, as the fake antlers kept getting tangled in tree branches as we walked (we are not as agile as the real deal). As this plan failed, we opted for the traditional garb of our forefathers - blazing orange from head to toe. The message was just a precaution, as my assumption is that everyone hunting can differentiate between human and their targeted species. It was just to ensure those that are a little "trigger-happy" (perhaps not fitting for bowhunters, but it works for guns and crossbows at least) or eager to make sure that that rustling in the brush is indeed a turkey fit for thanksgiving and not a grad student debating between ramen or kraft dinner for thanksgiving dinner. As I stated above, I am not a hunter, but a fisherman instead. As such, I know that the average outdoorsman (and woman) respects others and public and private property, and is careful with their sport. My message was meant to ensure safety for everyone and to try to reduce any chance of incidents, however small it may have initially been. I know of incidents where hunters have been shot at or even injured by others hunting in the area, and simply want to make sure that does not happen here, for the protection of both the researchers and the hunters.

Guys, thanks for your replies. Feel free to reply again to anything, or even to email me (Pydpiper helpfully provided my email, though it is unlikely I will be near that phone at any time). Otherwise, happy trails and good luck to everyone.

Sincerely,
Gordon Geller
rayman

Post by rayman »

Gordon, I work in the woods much of the time year around. Even during hunting season. You don't have to worry much about getting shot during bow season. Most bowhunters are responsible enough to know what they are shooting, and the target has to be so close. You will likely tick people off that are trying to hunt though. Try as I may to avoid this situation, it still happens. Sometimes guys act like they want to fight about it. Of course I'm there to make a living so guys usually come around. I would be prepared for that situation if I were you. :)
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Last edited by one shot scott on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

gsgeller wrote: Ont_Excal: Thanks for the suggestions. We have and are still posting more signs at access points and equipment in order to provide information on what is occurring, though not posting anything trying to imply that the use of the boardwalks is unacceptable (as stated, we don't mind if they are used by hunters for travel). We have also already are wearing hunter orange (as much as we were able to obtain, alas we started the shopping near the opener) and there is a push right now to have small bells attached to the first aid kit which our workers will be carrying as an extra precaution. As to hindering or harassing hunters - we have no intention of either, and in fact I think we have more enabled hunters to be able to travel through the outer reaches of the swamp quicker. In either case, we have no intention of being in the way, we are interested simply in doing our work.
Your contact info is a matter of public record so anyone can look it up on the web.

We as bowhunters are not required to wear hunter orange. We hunt in full camo. Safety vests are available from multiple sources that hunters would not buy from. You only need to look.

You could have posted an article in a newspaper, an alert on the campus news or a radio ad but chose instead to come here and only here.

Our membership is not just a hunting membership and we have members from around the world. I'm sure you have students right on campus who will be out for the opener. More likely to encounter one of them long before you see one of our members from this forum.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
gsgeller

Post by gsgeller »

One Shot Scott: Thanks for the welcome. As said, we are doing a number of things to try to keep everyone safe. We have no intent to interrupt any hunters, and hope not to cause any disturbance for anyone, much less interrupt someone's perfect shot. We will be on the paths or boardwalks for our work, and will not be going into the swamp off these more than a few feet. As such, I think we will be out of the way of most hunters and target species. As to how I came across the forum, I did a google search for the terms "hunt*" and "Beverly Swamp". Gave me this forum and another.

Ont_Excal: I did not question how my contact info was found. In fact, I know it was as simple as using google to search "Waterloo" and "Geller", and I am the second result. I do not mind, as it gives people more access to ask about the work being done. We have purchased a fair amount of gear, but there are non-bowhunters gearing up as well, so there is some competition for gear. We have found most of what we need however. As to using the forums to post, it is not the only avenue we have pursued, nor is this the only forum I have posted to. I realize that this forum is not only hunters from Beverly Swamp, nor is it all Ontario hunters. I do know that some who hunt Beverly Swamp do use this forum, and I know that this particular Sub-Forum is checked by moderators, so it seemed like a good option for trying to get the message seen.

Thanks guys, and as always, good luck

Sincerely,
Gordon Geller
gsgeller

Post by gsgeller »

Hey BeerNutz,

Great Pumpkin it is then. As to the experiment, in the simplest terms, we are seeing what happens in the groundwater and surface water of a wetland like the Beverly Swamp. To that end, we will be taking samples of both water types to look at the nutrients and metals flowing through each water system. The experiment was meant to occur earlier in the summer, but it was too dry for it alas, so we were forced to wait until the start to drain the reservoir. Hopefully there is enough water then. Happy Hunting!

Sincerely,
Gordon Geller
copperjohn

Post by copperjohn »

I think the pumpkin costume idea has merit, honestly. Many people are color blind these days and the round figure would really differentiate your outline. :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Second tip: if you spoil someone's hunt be sure to be considerate and non-confrontational.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

You may want to contact Ontario out of Doors (www.ontariooutofdoors.com) and see if they could put a 'heads up' in the news section in the front of the magazine, as well as the OFAH (www.ofah.org) to see if they can do an e-blast of membership (not sure if OFAH membership is required to hunt Beverley or not...haven't been there in a few years). It may also be prudent to create a flyer and have one of your team members go around the various access points about a half hour after sun-up and a half an hour before sun down to get all the morning guys after they have gone in and all of the afternoon guys before they come out and stick it on vehicles detailing your presence so the 'regulars' get a sense of what's going on.

Also, be prepared for at least one confrontation. Some guys think that hunting season means that all non-hunters stay out of the woods. As long as you aren't interfering with a legal hunt and have all your ducks in a row, you'll be fine.
gsgeller

Post by gsgeller »

Hey everyone!

So, we have been in the field already, roughly once per week. We are going to be stepping up our sampling next week, and then we will be out there 24 hours a day from the 16th until the 19th of October or so. Feel free to stop by and chat with us if you see us. We will be in a number of areas (there are three boardwalks, but they cross a different areas of the swamp).

CopperJohn: We don't intend to interrupt anyone's hunt, and if we do, please just let us know how we managed to, we will avoid that action in the future if possible.

Dirtygun: Thanks for the suggestions, we will look into that, hopefully we can manage it. Also, hopefully we don't run into a confrontation, but if we do, we will do our best to handle it in a calm and professional manner. We believe that the area should be enjoyed by everyone to its fullest.

Thanks again guys, and happy hunting.

Sincerely,
Gordon Geller
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

Personally I would like to thank you Gordon, although I do not hunt that swamp, it is nice to hear your willingness to work with the hunting community rather than against it. :D
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bigsy wrote:Personally I would like to thank you Gordon, although I do not hunt that swamp, it is nice to hear your willingness to work with the hunting community rather than against it. :D

X2 . . .and I might add . . .you handled the snide remarks very well . . .if you ever decide to take up hunting, we would be happy to share some tips.

Tip #1 . . .buy an Excalibur. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen