Aluminum ... need insight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JT of PA

Aluminum ... need insight

Post by JT of PA »

I shot a friends cam-crossbow last night and all it did was reinforce how much more I like and appreciate my Ibex.

However, I did like the aluminum arrows he was shooting. Easier to pull out of the 3-D targets.

Looked at the Accessories portion of this website and saw the Easton XX75 aluminum camo shafts in options of 2213, 2216 and 2219.

Then went to eastonarchery.com and under crossbow they have a XX75 magnum in 2216 and 2219. I take it these are the same arrows on the Excalibur site? What is the difference between 2213, 2216 and 2219? Is it weight only? Is a certain weight better than others? This is primarily for 3-D and informal target shooting, no hunting at this time.

Not crazy about the carbon in that a friend put a carbon sliver through his hand and I'd rather not take a chance of that happening to me (his arrow was not a Excalibur Firebolt).

Also, I primary see the Firebolts(carbon) and not the aluminum options around here in SE Pennsylvania? Carbon just more popular? I wanted to see some of these Excalibur aluminum arrows in person.

Still a newbie and not ready to have someone from this site make me really nice arrows because frankly I am damaging too many and too often as I learn to read distance, and learn that ... "Huh, an arrow can go through the small gap between the 3-D target body and replaceable insert and bury itself in the wood plywood and be ruined." :x My wife witnessed that one and we couldn't believe it happened, the gap was miniscule.

Anyone try or hear about he Full Metal Jacket hybrid arrow on the Easton site? Is it a case of best of both worlds: carbon belly/aluminum hide?

Will see if my local dealer can order the Excalibur aluminum arrows for me, just trying to figure out what version: 2213, 2216 or 2219 to get.

Any help, direction or opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
JT
wabi

Re: Aluminum ... need insight

Post by wabi »

I shoot aluminum arrows.
The number designates the outside diameter and wall thickness. For example a 2213 has a 22/64" outside diameter and a .013 (13/1000) wall thickness. The 2216 & 2219 is the same diameter, but have thicker walls on the tube making them heavier.
I used 2215 shafts for years (not commonly available, mine were a DIY project) and liked them very much. This year I made up several 2216 shafts (much easier to find) and they seem to be very similar in performance, but slightly heavier (about 25gr for a 20" arrow).

I may be wrong, but it seems to me the aluminum arrows are more consistently straight and/or free from variations in wall thickness. It seems like with carbons there are commonly a couple "fliers" in every package. Close, but a couple inches off target. With aluminums this is not a common problem. The downside of aluminums is that they are rigid and will bend. Once bent they are essentailly trash. (There are devices to straighten them, but the devices are expensive and if the shaft was bent badly it will be weakened even if straightened.)

I found the most common way to bend an aluminum is pulling it from the practice target carelessly! A good arrow puller and some careful attention to pulling straight will go a long way to increasing arrow life. :wink:
wabi
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have 8 Easton FMJs that I am taking on a bison hunt in Dec. I chose that shaft basedon the recommendation of the Prostaff guy from the outfitter. He used that shaft on an archery hunt for a bison and got a pass thru (vert bow). So far they are doing great, but are heavy....which is what I need for the bison. I'm not a fan of the 4" boattail fletching - so that comes off. I called Easton before buyinh them to get all the specs., and they were not a ton of help. Seems they make crossbow stuff, but don't really specialize in it. No testing, data etc. Easton will only sell them with Al inserts, even though they offer brass inserts. My archery shop here could not get the Al inserts out - called Easton and they were no help. He ended up buying 22" arrows and cutting them down to 20" to remove the inserts out and then installed the brass ones I ordered.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Not crazy about the carbon in that a friend put a carbon sliver through his hand and I'd rather not take a chance of that happening to me (his arrow was not a Excalibur Firebolt).
Carbons [GT's] are all I've ever shot since late '05, and I've shot them a lot. I've never seen a splintered one except on the 'net.

Edited to add: 'Cept for a few Robin Hoods, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Jt I don,t know how far you are from me but if not far I have a lot of different size aluminum arrows made up you would be more than welcome too come over and try at my range. I have 2114,2117,2216 xx75 and super slams and firebolts,lazer g11, maximum hunters some with brass inserts and some without.I,m an aluminum fan myself! I have some great shooting arrows!
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

awshucks wrote:
Carbons [GT's] are all I've ever shot since late '05, and I've shot them a lot. I've never seen a splintered one except on the 'net.

Edited to add: 'Cept for a few Robin Hoods, lol.
awshucks ... your right. Never seen it in person except for a photograph shown me at church and his hand all wrapped up. I watched him shoot his vert bow and he was one for wiggling and fishtailing an arrow out of his weathered/hard-as-rock 3-D targets in the back yard. Looking back, he probably started the fiber break down himself. He received his wound while his hand slipped on the shaft pulling an arrow out of a target, not while shooting it. The things we learn. :)
houser52

Post by houser52 »

JT- I've been shooting a Xbow for over a year now and have always shot XX75s, never shot a carbon arrow. I guess the reason was because I had a lot of them that were left over from my vertical bow days, just cut them down, fletched and used them.
I know carbon arrows are the rage right now but the good old XX75 is hard to beat.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman