deer cart

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: deer cart

Post by Boo »

Larger wheels go over larger obstacles. Dual wheels is better than single wheels. Make sure you add or get one with a waist strap.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
steve

Post by steve »

the Sportsmans Guide has them for 50 bucks, good for 300 pounds made of steel and weigh 27 pounds. I bought the aluminum one for 62 bucks and 18 to ship to Canada, it weighs a bit less at 21 pounds. Haven't tried it out yet but should do the trick.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

JohnnyDollar wrote:
foofoo wrote:i switched over to plastic sleds a few years ago. dont think i will ever switch back. there nice because the game cant fall over the sides and you dont have to tie anything up. there are a couple different companies making them like otter and shappell .they come in quite a few sizes and thicknessses but i prefer the small lighter ones. you can fit quite a bunch even in the smaller ones. they slip over logs and mud better than wheels.http://www.walmart.com/ip/KL-Industries ... ct+Reviews

So the plastic sled actually works better and is easier to drag than a 2 wheeled cart ? I always thought it would have more resistance than a cart on wheels.
the plastic is very slick. A wheel cart is great on level solid ground. They dont do well with bigger rocks and mud. The wheel carts may take more weight off but i feel its less aggrevation with a sled. A sled wont turn on a side or bog down in the soggy stuff. Its also nice when throwing the deer up in the back of a truck. I usually throw a small cheap blue tarp inside the sled so when the deer is inside you can keep the mess to a minimum. With 2 people the sled is a breeze.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

JohnnyDollar wrote:
foofoo wrote:i switched over to plastic sleds a few years ago. dont think i will ever switch back. there nice because the game cant fall over the sides and you dont have to tie anything up. there are a couple different companies making them like otter and shappell .they come in quite a few sizes and thicknessses but i prefer the small lighter ones. you can fit quite a bunch even in the smaller ones. they slip over logs and mud better than wheels.http://www.walmart.com/ip/KL-Industries ... ct+Reviews

So the plastic sled actually works better and is easier to drag than a 2 wheeled cart ? I always thought it would have more resistance than a cart on wheels.
the plastic is very slick. A wheel cart is great on level solid ground. They dont do well with bigger rocks and mud. The wheel carts may take more weight off but i feel its less aggrevation with a sled. A sled wont turn on a side or bog down in the soggy stuff. Its also nice when throwing the deer up in the back of a truck. I usually throw a small cheap blue tarp inside the sled so when the deer is inside you can keep the mess to a minimum. With 2 people the sled is a breeze.
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

Cossack wrote:
trky chsr wrote:I just use an appliance cart I got at Can-Tire on sale. I just got a longer axle and larger balloon type tires from Princess Auto. I can wheel a 250lb deer out of the woods one handed (just not over the logs :D )TC
Tried that...just before I bought a Magnum Deer Cart. Trying to keep a large deer on an appliance cart, where I was hunting, proved more work than joy.
Thats why I got a wider axle and balloon type tires. The narrow axle and skinny tires didn't work very well. This system works great. TC
maricar

Post by maricar »

Nice idea of you Johny.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote:Not to sound like a "Redneck Texan" but dont ya have a wheelbarrow? If not they sell 'em at the home center.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some deer won't fit into a wheelbarrow :shock: Well after they're full grown up and all. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotta knife dont ya? Heck they'll fit on a horse, gotta go in a wheelbarrow
I dont remember exactly, but a guide friend of mine showed me years ago....if you cut a deer in half around its middle like a belt,its either between the third and forth rib or forth and fifth rib from back end, makes two halves of deer that are near identical in weight to pack on a horse in panniards.Remove legs to "knees" insert large end of half into panniard and tie together a top. Helps keep it on your horse.
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I got one of the $50 HEAVY carts from Sportsman's Guide and it feels a lot heavier than 28#. Good on flat hard ground with no limbs or rocks. Pulling through sand in North Florida, forget it!! I just ordered a KL deer sled from Wayfair for $35 delivered. It looks like it'll do the job.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I hate to say it, but, I went with the China one. Had to have the bigger wheels and all metal. . .and the lower cost. I found several reviews and they were all good . . .100% positive . . .maybe the Americans can actually steal something from the chinese.

I have access to a wheel barrel up there, but, the mountainous terrain makes wheel barrelling a pain in the arse.

I just have one incredibily steep uphill . . .there is a road, but, if it's wet at all, I can't get in or out. Anyway, I think this cart will save me . . .it willl probably be dry every year now.

Thanks for all the tips guys.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Once you take one out with the cart you will never go back. My cart is the very first thing that goes in the bed of my truck when the season starts and is the very last thing to come out at the end of the season.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

I used to hunt in some very remote areas and used a rolled up plastic sled, the magnum size. Slid out a 300 lb. pig with it once. It worked really well. Cabelas still sells them.

Deer Sleigh'r Transport Sled
See Select Items on Sale

Regular Price: $39.99
Sale Price: $34.99 - $39.99
Qty: Item: IK-420202

Deer Sleigh'r Transport Sled

6-ft. drag rope
Standard size for deer and antelope
Magnum size for large deer, bear, sheep and elk
Haul your next trophy buck over the river, through the woods and all the way to your vehicle with the Deer Sleigh'r. Constructed of slick, durable plastic, it slides easily over snow, dry ground and tough terrain with even the heaviest payload in tow. Just lash the deer to the sled by threading the ropes through the grommets, grab the 6-ft. drag rope and pull. A great way to protect your trophy's meat and hide from dirt and damage caused by rough, jagged ground. Rolls up compactly for storage and transport. Use the Standard size to carry most deer and antelope. The Magnum size is ideal for large deer, bear, sheep and elk.
Available:
Standard: 2 ft. x 6 ft. Weight: 2-1/2 lbs.
Magnum: 3 ft. x 6 ft. Weight: 5 lbs.
Overall Customer Rating:
3.6 out of 5
Read Reviews (8)
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
wabi

Post by wabi »