Ongoing Vancouver Island Bow Hunt Update

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Ongoing Vancouver Island Bow Hunt Update

Post by IronNoggin »

For a couple that have asked...

Sat up to pattern the Blacktail Deer's movements again last evening. 41 does came along, followed by 5 bucks - the "Shooter" 4-point, a medium 4-point, 2 medium 3-points, a 2-point and a spike. 4 more late arrivals to the party came along that I could not identify due to darkness setting in. One held back on the bush fringe a very long time before cautiously wandering out, then stayed off the periphery of the feeding herd. Body on that last one is MASSIVE, and from his actions I believe him to be the Big Non-Typical that frequents the area. Even were I to be right where he came out, it would have been far to dark to risk a shot. Going to "rest" the area today. No fear of anyone else cutting in on me, the landowner only allows one in at a time, and for the foreseeable future, that is Lucky Ol' Me! Be moving the stand, likely tomorrow.
Great Chase thus far!! :mrgreen:

A few of The Ladies wandering out early...

Right Back At It SOON!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
derf

Re: Ongoing Vancouver Island Bow Hunt Update

Post by derf »

holy crap ironnoggin,your deer out there on the island are like my fatherinlaws cattle out in pasture in this part of ontario. LOL!! regards derf
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

LOL! In some places that's true Derf. But only some places. Both myself and a handful of Buddies have been scouring the mountains searching for another Biggie or two. But here the bush is extremely dry (we're currently setting long-term records for the driest August through October period to date) and moving up there is like walking on popcorn! The deer have responded, and moved to the highest possible locations to escape the heat. Makes for damn Hard Targets!

The area I am hunting mentioned above is in the lowlands, where the abundant supply of alfalfa leavings keep the deer fat & healthy. They tend to concentrate in such areas, but in such big numbers, it is right tricky to get with bow range with all those eyes, ears and noses watching out for each other! :shock:

Closest thing I've seen to hunting ranchland whitetails over in Alberta and Saskatchewan out here on The Rock! Bringing back a LOT of warm memories, and certainly is as "entertaining" as all get out!! :lol:

I'll likely wander back to the hills once we realize a little sky-water. BUT, that Non-Typ has CERTAINLY captured my interest... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Now that is a herd. That has potential for some sausage making, :) .
Raymond
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ah now the Hunt is on. All those deer many eyes n noses n ears! Thats like huntin down home in Ms. along the bean fields n winter wheat. We have hundreds of deer come by in herds, i used to find there entry to field n set up back into the timber a hundred yds & kill them as they passed my tree. I would be 25-30' up above
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Rested the place noted above through the weekend. Hit another area today...

Sixty-Seven Yards from one of the Biggies there with the Max this morning. GAGGER! Actually a tad heavier & wider than I thought! :D
Big Dry Doe (Grey-Back Granny) stayed ever so slightly farther.
Of course all the rest came within 25 to 6 or 7 yards. :lol:

Nobody caught on to my presence. :mrgreen:

No arrows launched...

Soon though methinks... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog