S-5 & Point Of Impact Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

S-5 & Point Of Impact Question

Post by IronNoggin »

Hello Folks,

Today I received and installed the S-5 system on my Exomax. The S-5 is black, rather than the olive green I see in most of the online postings, but all else appears to be the same.

To ensure proper clearance from the string to the rubber pads (I went with just shy of 1/8" to allow for a little stretch once the new string twists settle in), I found I had to twist the string about 8 or 9 times as I had the string sitting a fair ways forward (fairly low brace height).

What I am wondering is how much, if any, will that increase in brace height effect the point of impact downrange? And, what about arrow speed?

Of course I am planning on shooting the bow tomorrow morning before heading out for the evening's hunt. But I am curious as to what I might expect as to the difference this adjustment may have made...

Any and All advise in this regard would be Sincerely Appreciated!! :D

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
georgiaboy

Re: S-5 & Point Of Impact Question

Post by georgiaboy »

You may loose a few fps with a higher brace height...should be minimal, 2-3 fps i would guess. At worst a tad low, still minute of critter. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
roly

Post by roly »

I think 8 or 9 twists will effect your POI an inch or two
and it will slow your speed a bit but not major

Make sure you mantian that space from the s5's
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

My S5s are black on the new Equinox. I keep the string at 1 & 1/16" to the forward edge of the string which gives about 1/8" clearance to the S5 pads. I had to put several twists into the FF string to get this BH.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Thanks Fellas!

Answered the question this morning. Took the bow out to my Rancher Buddy's place, and ran a couple dozen shots through her. With the Firebolts (and 150 grain Boltcutters) there was no change in POI whatsoever. With the heavier Big John arrows that Derf so graciously sent me to try, the impact point was one inch low at 40 yards. Both sets of arrows are On Target shooting < 2" groups at 40 yards. Good To Go in my opinion!

Between the S-5 system, and the Camo-Form Wrap I put on the Max, She certainly is QUIET compared to what She was doing before! My Buddy was shooting his compound, and there was very little, if any, difference between the two!!

Here's a couple pix of the Max in "Battle Dress":

And with that, I'm Gearing Up & Heading Out for this evening's FUN!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

Looks AWESOME.

Im thinking about tapeing up my scope. It looks really cool.
Glad your back on point.
How far do you keep the string away from the s5?

Daye
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Dayelight wrote:Im thinking about tapeing up my scope.
The stuff I used actually isn't a tape, rather a stretch fabric wrap. It sticks to itself, not your bow/scope etc. Called "Camo-Form" from McNett. Good stuff IMHO. Better than tape as it leaves no residue. Available in damn near any camo pattern you prefer. Here's a link: http://www.mcnett.com/Camo-Form-Protect ... -P274.aspx
How far do you keep the string away from the s5?
Just slightly less than 1/8". I did think the string would loosen a tad from shooting it after twisting it to get the right clearance from the bumper pads. Did not seem to, but I'll be keeping an eye on it...

Cheers,
Nog
HammerNAnvil

Post by HammerNAnvil »

Good thing I searched before I made a new thread, just bought the s5 today, and am not too pleased with the brace height, I had to twist my string 6 times from where it was... and it still touches ,
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

HnA, The S5 takes at least a 1" bheight, twist some more. That bheight is a 'sweet spot' favored by many......
"Eze 18:21"
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Nog,
I noticed you have the D-bars on as well. I have the same setup on my Vortex (S5 and D-Bars)b and it is noticebly quieter than my sons Vortex that has the S5 but no D-bars. It is a bit heavier, but I like how quiet it is. Thanks for the Camo-Form info. That looks interesting. Do you have that stuff actually between the stirrup and the riser - kind of like a shock absorber there? I was thinking of some sort of rubber pad tor gasket or something put in there to limit vibrations transferring to the stirrup.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
HammerNAnvil

Post by HammerNAnvil »

1 inch from where the riser and stock join? Or the line closest to the riser
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

1" from the joint line...............If your string rests against the bumpers, it's hard to check b-height. W/ the STS I have, I slide the rubber bumpers off to check it.......

Something to keep an eye on.........
"Eze 18:21"
hotdog

Post by hotdog »

I just got my Equinox today and the string is sitting against the stops,but not tight.Should I put a few twists in the string so it seats back 1/8 or wait until I shoot the bow some to see if it stretches and gets tighter against them ?
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

hotdog wrote:I just got my Equinox today and the string is sitting against the stops,but not tight.Should I put a few twists in the string so it seats back 1/8 or wait until I shoot the bow some to see if it stretches and gets tighter against them ?
Give it a few twist's...i keep mine about a credit card's width off the pads.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

nchunterkw wrote:Nog,
I noticed you have the D-bars on as well. I have the same setup on my Vortex (S5 and D-Bars)b and it is noticebly quieter than my sons Vortex that has the S5 but no D-bars. It is a bit heavier, but I like how quiet it is.
I read quite a bit here and on a few other sites about whether or not to leave the dissipater bars on after installing the S-5. The only downside mentioned was the additional weight. Not an issue for me as the difference is not very noticeable IMHO. And, I VERY much like the fact that it is now practically as quiet as my Buddy's well tuned compound.
Thanks for the Camo-Form info. That looks interesting. Do you have that stuff actually between the stirrup and the riser - kind of like a shock absorber there? I was thinking of some sort of rubber pad tor gasket or something put in there to limit vibrations transferring to the stirrup.
I did not put any of the wrap actually between the stirrup and the riser. Did wrap the entire stirrup with a couple of layers, as well as the gap between the bolts mounting it to the riser. That has noticeably dampened off the vibration and noise as well as preventing any form of perceived "glare" off the stirrup.

Cheers,
Nog