O/T 2 way Radio's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

O/T 2 way Radio's

Post by vixenmaster »

Does anyone have any decent but reasonable priced ones to recommend ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Re: O/T 2 way Radio's

Post by Pydpiper »

I have a pair of Unidens, paid about $80 for the set.
I can get to two of my stands and still maintain contact with the wife, in the house.
The big test was when we do our Barrie trip, 600 acres of people, every one of them using 2 way radios of some form.. We can stay in contact on our own frequency without anybody else interrupting the signal, and voice clarity is amazing. For hunting the units can be set to "vibrate" for silent operation, and a "high/low" power switch ensures a decent battery life, which is rechargeable.
Best part Mike, when you hear "mutterings" from the cabin with these, there is a good chance it is actually a person on the other end. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Pydpiper wrote:I have a pair of Unidens, paid about $80 for the set.
I can get to two of my stands and still maintain contact with the wife, in the house.
The big test was when we do our Barrie trip, 600 acres of people, every one of them using 2 way radios of some form.. We can stay in contact on our own frequency without anybody else interrupting the signal, and voice clarity is amazing. For hunting the units can be set to "vibrate" for silent operation, and a "high/low" power switch ensures a decent battery life, which is rechargeable.
Best part Mike, when you hear "mutterings" from the cabin with these, there is a good chance it is actually a person on the other end. :D
I have a Uniden set of 2 way radios also. The model I have is the FRS440's. They are good for a distance of two miles. They have weather stations on them, vibrate features, FM radio channels, sounds pretty much like what Pydpiper has. I haven't used them for a few years and the wife told me this week that if I wanted to hunt it was necessary for me to either carry my Cell Phone or to carry a 2 Way Radio. So, I decide to use the 2 Way Radios.
Raymond
rayman

Post by rayman »

Used to use 2-way radios all the time. Had earpieces for silence. Range on older models is not good so we couldn't talk more than about 1/2 mile away in woods. Just send text messages back and forth now.

Haven't looked at 2-ways in a while, but you might consider getting a pair of Uniden's VHF marine radios. The marine radios will cost more, but they are very tough. :)
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

My Uniden 2 Way Radios are good for around 2 miles. I will only use them if I needed help getting out of the woods. I don't even keep mine turned on during the hunt.
Thanks
Raymond
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I doubt i will be more than 2 miles from my cabin, my stands are no more than 1/4 mile & 1 less than 200 yds. I jus figure these would be cheaper than havin a cell phone & a contract or pay every month deal. So some of y'all have Unidens & i have saw some Cobra's n Motorolas. Anyone have model#'s on theirs ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

Raymond

Post by Raymond »

My 2 Way radios are, Uniden Eotrek 3, model # is "FRS440".
Raymond
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

vixenmaster wrote:I doubt i will be more than 2 miles from my cabin, my stands are no more than 1/4 mile & 1 less than 200 yds. I jus figure these would be cheaper than havin a cell phone & a contract or pay every month deal. So some of y'all have Unidens & i have saw some Cobra's n Motorolas. Anyone have model#'s on theirs ?
My momma could holler at me farther than that!!!!! What ya need a radio fer?
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

flightattendant100 wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:I doubt i will be more than 2 miles from my cabin, my stands are no more than 1/4 mile & 1 less than 200 yds. I jus figure these would be cheaper than havin a cell phone & a contract or pay every month deal. So some of y'all have Unidens & i have saw some Cobra's n Motorolas. Anyone have model#'s on theirs ?
My momma could holler at me farther than that!!!!! What ya need a radio fer?
Have you considered "cup phones"? :lol:

Wish I could help on the radios Mike. I do 99.99% of my hunting by myself though, with no one around the area at all to call on one if I wanted to.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

You should look at ship to shore FM radios. Their range is over 5 miles . They work great and aren't much more expensive that the little 2 way radios!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Made a mistake, the radios I am currently using are Cobra Micro Talk.

Just a heads up for anyone considering using the marine band radios, that a huge no no! The laws encompassing the marine band are fairly strict, and the fines start somewhere around $10,000. Those frequencies are monitored by both the FCC as well as the Coast Guard.

If you need that kind of range look in to the MURS band, very similar to the marine band, without the legal issues.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
bugs

Post by bugs »

I have an older set of Cobra's, they work well for me but dont work well over a km which is less than a mile. I only go 1/2 km from the house though.
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

We have gotten away from using 2 way radio's in favor of Black Berry messenger or texting

Nothing like sending a picture of a blood trail to your hunting buddy, especially when he did not come out that day! as well we can send GPS coordinates of where we are.
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hazmat wrote:We have gotten away from using 2 way radio's in favor of Black Berry messenger or texting

Nothing like sending a picture of a blood trail to your hunting buddy, especially when he did not come out that day! as well we can send GPS coordinates of where we are.
I agree 100%! With Google maps or Latitude you can have a nice satellite view (or topographic) of your position in the woods, and of those around you, deer trails, creeks and funnels and hunting partners are all easily located.
If I am in an area that has cell signal the first thing I do is send home a pinpoint of my location, in case the worst happens. Even if I am walking my wife can see exactly where I am and what direction I am traveling in.
My new android takes it one step further, it has a deceleration app. If I take a fall the phone will recognize the abrupt stop, automatically send a text to my wife's Android containing a map with detailed instructions on where to find me.
Falling sucks.
If I am in an area with no cell signal, the phone has a fully functioning satellite GPS and still accesses all the features of Google maps/earth.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't want any phone's as they want a contract. My Mrs wants be able to contact me if'en she needs me. So the small 2 way radio things will work fer their intended purpose
Half Bubble Off BD360