Lighted nocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

frrobert

Lighted nocks

Post by frrobert »

After losing another bolt, I am thinking about trying lighted nocks. A few quick questions.

Do they help to find lost bolts, even in daylight?
Do have to shorten the bolt or do just add the nock to the end of the bolt?
What brand would you recommend?

Thanks,

Fr. Robert
bitsdoo

Re: Lighted nocks

Post by bitsdoo »

I shoot lumenoks and love them. They are THE brightest and yes you can see them in daylight. Just put in the lumenok no need to shorten. The end of the bolt has to be square to ensure conductivity so a little prep is req'd. I'm in canada and paid $35 for 3 so they are not cheap but newer models the batteries are replaceable, led's last forever. Very cool watching them hit as they look like a tracer round. If the bolt doesn't pass thru it helps with tracking at night...just look for the glow.

I love them and enjoy shooting them.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

bitsdoo wrote:I shoot lumenoks and love them. They are THE brightest and yes you can see them in daylight. Just put in the lumenok no need to shorten. The end of the bolt has to be square to ensure conductivity so a little prep is req'd. I'm in canada and paid $35 for 3 so they are not cheap but newer models the batteries are replaceable, led's last forever. Very cool watching them hit as they look like a tracer round. If the bolt doesn't pass thru it helps with tracking at night...just look for the glow.

I love them and enjoy shooting them.
X2, love them also.
Raymond
frrobert

Post by frrobert »

Thanks for the info.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

The do affect your sights slightly, or at least they did mine anyway. Nothing huge, but they do add a little more weight to the back of the arrow, which increases the overall weight and decreases your FOC percentage.

Luminocks are about the best that you can get. There's 3 types of lighted crossbow nocks out there I believe. I read an article where a guy tested all 3, putting them head to head. As far as simplicity, durability, brightness, and price, the Luminocks came out on top. They're not cheap, so plan on paying anywhere between $30-$40 for 3, but the good thing is that you should be able to use them over and over, year after year. I've sent the same one through 2 deer this year and it's still working.

They definetly help in seeing exactly what kind of hit you're going to get, especially at a little longer distance (30+ yds) and they help you locate the arrow after the shot. The buck I shot this year, he was level with me when I shot, the arrow passed through the rib cage, but immediately hit a bunch of limbs and deflected. Everything happened so fast (20 yd shot) that it confused the heck out of me to see my arrow shining about 30-40 feet straight to the left of where the deer had been standing after the deer ran to the right. :? Since it was right at dark when I shot, I would have never thought to had looked that far to the left if the Luminock hadn't been shining. I would have been looking behind where the deer had been standing.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I have shot the Lumenoks and the Firebolts. I prefer the Friebolts as the "wires" on the Lumenoks created little dimples in the end of my arrows.

If you hunt on the ground you will still lose an occasional arrow as sometimes they get buried in the leaf litter. The only solution to that is a metal detector.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Morangus

Post by Morangus »

Do any of the luminocks require any prep to the end of the nock to prevent string jump (roughing up the ends with sand paper)? I have 3 firenocks on my arrows and last week my string jumped my arrow on the first attempted shot causing a partial dry fire, destroying the string and bending my D-Bars. I've gotta call Danny to get replacements now. I thought I had roughed up the ends of the Firenocks enough but apparently not. I ended up using a sander on the end of the them and now they're shooting fine.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Never had to do anything to any of my Luminocks as far as prep work. They've always shot fine.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
coop

Post by coop »

Morangus wrote:Do any of the luminocks require any prep to the end of the nock to prevent string jump (roughing up the ends with sand paper)? I have 3 firenocks on my arrows and last week my string jumped my arrow on the first attempted shot causing a partial dry fire, destroying the string and bending my D-Bars. I've gotta call Danny to get replacements now. I thought I had roughed up the ends of the Firenocks enough but apparently not. I ended up using a sander on the end of the them and now they're shooting fine.
I had same problem with lumanoks but only partial dry fires didn't seem to hurt my bow but arrow hit in dirt in front of target numerous times and some shots were okay. On others advice I sanded them and they work now but got to say I don't think I'm going to use them. I've never had that happen with the aluminum flat nocks.
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Morangus wrote:Do any of the luminocks require any prep to the end of the nock to prevent string jump (roughing up the ends with sand paper)? I have 3 firenocks on my arrows and last week my string jumped my arrow on the first attempted shot causing a partial dry fire, destroying the string and bending my D-Bars. I've gotta call Danny to get replacements now. I thought I had roughed up the ends of the Firenocks enough but apparently not. I ended up using a sander on the end of the them and now they're shooting fine.
Never needed to rough them up but after a season or two of shooting the string created a shard edged groove in mine so i did sand them down with a squaring tool (you can just do it by hand) and bevel the edge. Also I recommend rotating them a little bit just like you would your sts bumpers to reduce the dimpling affect someone else mentioned and reduce the groove on the nock itself
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Until this year, I used Firenocks. I actually preferred them over Lumenoks after shooting both a few hundred times. I preferred the replaceable battery of the Firenocks. I also had trouble with the Lumenoks coming on while in my quiver. I had a few die when they came on while my bow and quiver were stored.

I saw that this year Lumenoks have a replaceable battery. I liked that. When I went to order 3 Firenocks, the total came to a tad over $75!! :shock: I get the extra long life battery and the extreme shock battery end cap.

It was the sticker shock that drove to to try the Lumenoks with their replaceable batteries. 3 cost me $32 with shipping.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
ronhonest

Post by ronhonest »

i recently tried the nu fletch lighted system and the bow dry fired. anyone wlse with that problem or that could tell me what caused it
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i use new fletch never had that problem my guess would not seated on string
dewy

Post by dewy »

Swamp,
I just ordered a pack of nufletch lighted nocks for my bee's the other day. Any tricks to installing them or there operation that you have found?
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
shooter00

Post by shooter00 »

How's the durability on the Nufletch nocks ?
I've had several of the Lumenoks crap out on me and never could get them working again.