Like To Froze This Morning!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

Like To Froze This Morning!

Post by Big58cal »

Finally was able to get out this morning and go. They were calling for rain overnight, but it stopping around 3-4 AM, but I packed my rain suit just in case. :wink: Temp was supposed to be in the low 50's, which wouldn't have been bad.

Decided to try a new spot that I hadn't hunted this year yet. I've hunted it a few times in the past, always in the morning, but never have seen any deer there, just squirrels and a few turkeys. Since I've got fall archery turkey tags, I figured seeing the turkeys wouldn't be a bad thing. :wink:

A couple of weeks ago I had put a camera down in the area and picked out a tree for my climber. Went up the tree and got settled. I had looked on the weather and knew that the wind would be out of the NNW, but hadn't paid any attention to what speed it would be. :roll:

Turns out the temp was in the low 40's with a nice brisk 10 mph wind! :shock: I like to froze my butt off up in that tree! :lol: I hadn't packed enough clothes for those temps and that wind! My hair and beard had been getting a little wild, so about a week ago I trimmed them both down to stubble. THAT was a mistake! :lol:

Of course, I didn't see any deer. :roll: Saw that I need to go thin out the squirrel population up there though! I must have seen 20 squirrels! Heard some turkeys calling during a lull in the wind, but they were on up the hill from me quite a bit and never ventured down toward me.

Swapped out the card in the camera and checked it. Just as I figured, it's an evening spot. Like clockwork every evening, there's several does that come through there while it's still daylight. :D The weird thing is I didn't get 1 picture of a buck. Everything was does and little ones. There's a momma with 2 little ones that I have a bunch of pictures of.

Next weekend is our early Youth-Only gun season. The bummer is the boy has a karate belt test on Saturday that he can't miss so it doesn't look like he's going to go. :( Guess I'll be running solo again.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Hester0305

Re: Like To Froze This Morning!

Post by Hester0305 »

This weather change today would have through a loop for everyone if you weren't prepared. I tried to go this morning but the rain was pouring until after daylight. Good luck to you maybe you will get a chance to put one of those does down.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Leonidas

Post by Leonidas »

It was 30 degrees here this morning at daybreak.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Hester0305 wrote:This weather change today would have through a loop for everyone if you weren't prepared.
No kidding! When I left the house it was 50 degrees and I just had on a light long sleeve t-shirt. Had a sweatshirt and a light saddle cloth jacket in the pack (took the rain gear out of my pack at the truck before I left it :roll: ). The temp just kept dropping yesterday morning.

UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

You saying that your Fruit of the Loom boys were kinda cool, huh. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

Swapped out the card in the camera and checked it. Just as I figured, it's an evening spot. Like clockwork every evening, there's several does that come through there while it's still daylight. :D The weird thing is I didn't get 1 picture of a buck. Everything was does and little ones. There's a momma with 2 little ones that I have a bunch of pictures of.

that is were you are in for a great rut and post rut hunt... i always, and i mean always, scout for doe's... if you have a spot with a good doe population, the bucks will come and they will come in hoards.. good job and hope you can connect one afternoon..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

UPSMAN wrote:You saying that your Fruit of the Loom boys were kinda cool, huh. :lol: :lol: :lol:
To say the least! :shock: I usually screw up like that once a year and don't put enough clothes in my pack. After that, I always carry an extra sweatshirt down in the bottom. You'd think I'd learn..... :roll: :lol: :lol:
xbowrook wrote:that is were you are in for a great rut and post rut hunt... i always, and i mean always, scout for doe's... if you have a spot with a good doe population, the bucks will come and they will come in hoards.. good job and hope you can connect one afternoon..
We're only allowed 1 antlered deer in KY per year and I've already used my tag for this year. :( Can't complain though, I'm happy with what I got and don't have to worry about trying to fill that tag. Besides, now I can torment my brother telling him about all of the big bucks I saw if they come through there. :lol:

bugs

Post by bugs »

That is a warm day up here :lol: I havent had any bucks on my camera either. The big boys tracks are all around my spot but he wont walk in front of that camera, too smart I guess.
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

bugs wrote:That is a warm day up here :lol:
And that's yet another reason why I don't live any further 'nort' than I do! :wink:

I read something somewhere that your body adjusts to cool/warm weather. When it's hot your body adjusts to it. If it turns off the least bit cool, you don't handle the temps as well as you can later on after you've adjusted more to the cooler weather. Prime example, look at all of the people that wear shorts and t-shirts out in the spring when it's 40-50 degrees and they think it's HOT! :shock: :lol:

j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Froze my tail half off this morning too! I dressed light relying on my own natural insulation properties to keep me warm. Apparently I have a lower R value than I thought!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

j.krug wrote:Froze my tail half off this morning too! I dressed light relying on my own natural insulation properties to keep me warm. Apparently I have a lower R value than I thought!! :lol:
Hey j.krug, you just gave me another good excuse that I forgot about! I've lost over 60 lbs since deer season last year. :wink: I don't have near the natural insulation that I used to have. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Got up this morning and the temp outside was reading 36 degrees. :shock: Too bad I had to come into work instead of freezing my tail off in a tree stand. :mrgreen:

Leonidas

Post by Leonidas »

It was 20 degrees in Baldwin, MI yesterday morning. Pretty early in the season for my cold weather gear :o
bugs

Post by bugs »

Big58cal wrote:
bugs wrote:That is a warm day up here :lol:
And that's yet another reason why I don't live any further 'nort' than I do! :wink:

I read something somewhere that your body adjusts to cool/warm weather. When it's hot your body adjusts to it. If it turns off the least bit cool, you don't handle the temps as well as you can later on after you've adjusted more to the cooler weather. Prime example, look at all of the people that wear shorts and t-shirts out in the spring when it's 40-50 degrees and they think it's HOT! :shock: :lol:

Got that right, give me 80 degrees or warmer and I am misurable and boiling :shock:
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol: