When to push or not push a deer that has been shot (arrow)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FISH-ON

When to push or not push a deer that has been shot (arrow)

Post by FISH-ON »

Hey there, here is my scenario. I have permission to hunt on the property which has a very small creek running threw it, at the same time there is a beaver/muskrat that dammed up this small creek making it very marshy (area 100'x150' approx.) that the deer just seem to love by the footprints and grass bedded down near there. My intention is to hunt the edge of the field in the hopes they come out but if I hit one with the crossbow and he runs into the marshy area, is it best to wait the standard 30 minutes or try to push the deer threw the swamp onto the next field before collapsing? if I wait I have no idea as to how deep the marsh is? and doubt i'll be able to drag it out without getting stuck myself...would it not make sense to try to scare the deer onto the other side while it dying rather then take a chance in the marsh...thoughts??? :?:
maine hunter

Re: When to push or not push a deer that has been shot (arro

Post by maine hunter »

:D i would think the shot placement would tell you. if it's a good shot and a good blood trail, i would wait 30 mins or so. if it's a bad shot, i might wait 2 hours or so. you push a badly hit deer, you might never find it.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Thats a tough choice. We have a field like you are describing that borders a swamp and we used to lose allot of deer in there int eh shot gun season. Rule now is only take a shot that will drop the deer or else pass on it. I know this does not help with the bow but if that swamp is anything like ours, it will be very difficult to recover deer in there.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We had a big bad thick swamp on our property up north: water logged, "muskeggy", with lots of shrubbery. Impenetrable for the most part. The deer loved it. I avoided shooting anything that might run into that swamp... it just wasn't worth the risk to me.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

If'en you hunt near swamps n water thats where yer deer will head fer when shot. I have had to swim in ice cold water fer maybe a dz throught the yrs down Home in Ms. They float but not like a cork, but they will be part of it visible tho dead. I got to where i disliked havin to swim fer them when it got below 40 degrees & specially when ice was on the water :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

My opinion is hunt were the deer are and never push a deer I always wait an hour after a bow shot even if it seamed perfect.
I would deal with the swamp when the time comes I may not shoot a doe in a area that is hard to get deer out of but it sounds like it may be a good spot for a nice buck.
Remember waders,hip boots,canoes,kayaks,john boats ect can be used if need be.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I have killed a lot of deer throughout the years and lost a few because I pushed them when I didn't make a great shot. I 've learned throughout the years to never push a deer unless extreme circumstances exist. Give them time to bed down and expire. Sometimes gut shot deer need 12 hours or more to expire where lung hit deer will be dead in a matter of seconds it all depends on the shot on how long you take up the trail. Hunting in areas around water in seems the deer will likely run there when hit so be prepared to go get it if you hunt in that area.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
rayman

Post by rayman »

Hester0305 wrote:I have killed a lot of deer throughout the years and lost a few because I pushed them when I didn't make a great shot. I 've learned throughout the years to never push a deer unless extreme circumstances exist. Give them time to bed down and expire. Sometimes gut shot deer need 12 hours or more to expire where lung hit deer will be dead in a matter of seconds it all depends on the shot on how long you take up the trail. Hunting in areas around water in seems the deer will likely run there when hit so be prepared to go get it if you hunt in that area.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Best bet is to make a good double lung shot so the deer doesn't go far. If you're not 100% sure of the shot - let it walk!
Most deer I've double lunged have gone less than 50 yards, some much less. The only exceptions were a couple that were really "on edge" (super nervous) when I shot, and both of those stopped when the hit heavy cover and went no further.
wabi