Struggling New Member

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Struggling New Member

Post by 8ptbuk »

Hi Everyone !
Shore hope someone can help me get my Phoenix Shooting Broadheads more consistently . I humbly accept any advice offered ! Ive tried 100 and 125 muzzys . Also tried 90 gr. thunder heads . Now im trying 1oogr Rage's . Im using Goldtips Bolts with brass inserts . Each bolt seems to shoot to a different point of impact . Thanks again for any advice offered .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Re: Struggling New Member

Post by Boo »

Lots of people have trouble with Thuderheads and Muzzys. Keep to 100 grains or more. Slick Tricks or 150 gr Bolt Cutters seem to be the easiest to get to fly well. It is not unusual to have different POIs. Just pick a broadhead that you have confidence in and if it flies consistently adjust your scope to accommodate the POI.
BTW, mecahicals are often the fastest way to go as far as what little tuning you can do so don't discount the Exacts or Swhackers.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

About the only advice I have at this moment is check the fletching for some degree of offset .
It is hard to get consistency when the front is steering the arrow .
Welcome by the way . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Boo

Post by Boo »

Doe Master wrote:About the only advice I have at this moment is check the fletching for some degree of offset .
It is hard to get consistency when the front is steering the arrow .
Welcome by the way . :)
Sorry, my bad manners, Welcome to the forum!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thank you very much Boo ! I sighted it in with 100 gr rages this morning and got 3 out of 6 bolts to hit a 3 inch circle at 40 yards . The three that didnt hit , shot consistant but not in the spot . My next concern is will the hunting Rage head hit where the practice head did !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Tune each arrow, put a dot on a vane & shoot it. If'en it doesn't hit close use next vane with 2 dot marked & shoot it. Usually the arrow will shoot well enuff on one of the vanes to get you softball sized BH groups out to 40 yds. Closer shots should be small groups
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Great ideal ! Never thought of trying that . Thanks ! No one told me x-bows were this finicky about broadheads .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I would also try these broadheads that don,t shoot well on the same arrow for a few shots because I have yet to find a broadhead that spins well that doesn,t shoot well on one of my good arrows. with a gt11 and brass insert and good helix fletching you should get great broadhead flight on an arrow .but for me a lot of gt11 arrows have a different poi from each other. I just sort out the ones that are close to each others poi.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

8ptbuk wrote:Hi Everyone !
Shore hope someone can help me get my Phoenix Shooting Broadheads more consistently . I humbly accept any advice offered ! Ive tried 100 and 125 muzzys . Also tried 90 gr. thunder heads . Now im trying 1oogr Rage's . Im using Goldtips Bolts with brass inserts . Each bolt seems to shoot to a different point of impact . Thanks again for any advice offered .
Welcome to the forum.
When did you buy the crossbow or more importantly how long have you been shooting it.
If you are new at this, then only time and practice will shrink your group size out at 40 yards.
Just keep at it.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Boo

Post by Boo »

8ptbuk wrote:Great ideal ! Never thought of trying that . Thanks ! No one told me x-bows were this finicky about broadheads .
You really can't tune much. It's more about correcting an existing problem. If you go at is like you are tuning you'll fail. If everything is right it will shoot one hole groups at 20 yards.
Start with a nut and bolt check. Loose fasteners can cause erratic POI.
Use one arrow and like Mikie said try each fletching as a cock feather. If you get one arrow to shoot one hole groups then you know it's the arrows/broadhead. If not then you've eliminated half of your issues.
Make sure your broadhead has zero wobble.
What does it shoot like with field points?
What are you using to shoot off of?
strum

Post by strum »

i just got a phoenix yesterday..only shot it 20 or 30 times and only at 20 yards ..but with the lazer 2 arrows with brass inserts , 125 gr slick trick magnums and bazer vanes you better not shoot the same place twice..
same poi as the field tips too..from my rest i shoot at little pieces of tape about the size of a quarter and hit every time..im sure youll find what works for you .but for me im sold on the slicks..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

My field points shoot one hole groups . Im shooting off sandbags . Ive just owned my Excal for about 6 months and see right quick ive got alot to learn . I never dreamed broadheads would be this hard to get to shoot . Are the 2 inch Blazer vanes that much better than what my Gold tips came with ? Why ?

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

Check and see if you have any offset to your vanes and spin test your broadheads. Front inserts are often not square and that can cause irratic POI with a few arrows. Shooting with field points can make the front insert face uneven.
Spin test on arrow and broadhead combination and make sure you have a few degrees offset to your fletchings. If all is well shoot that one arrow a few times and see what happens.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Welcome to the Forum. It looks like you have gotten some great advice so far. Marking the best arrows is a great idea I usually number mine as well. Make sure you are cocking the xbow the same way each time because if you don't you will have left to right issues. I've killed quite a few deer wih Rages nd they do fly the same as the practice point from what I've tested out to 50 yards. The Slick Tricks that were mentioned earlier fly great as well for a fixed blade head. Good luck with your practicing and experimenting.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thanks for the suggestions . You are right on track with info on inserts . Ive shot vertical bows for 35 years and had alot of those problems with them also . When i build my own arrows Cutting them off square is one of the most important steps involved. Sometimes you can rotate the insert and fix it sometimes not . Ive spin checked my bolts and they seem fine . Now my vanes are not straight but have just a touch of turn in them . Probaly not helping my groups at all . Will a full turn go through the slot in the crossbow rail . I can refletch the bolts if I can decide what to use and how much turn . If you think this is causing alot of my problems . Thanks for suggestions

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]