Plastic Nocks - Thoughts ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JT of PA

Plastic Nocks - Thoughts ?

Post by JT of PA »

I am slowly figuring out each part of my first arrow build and I am now on the nock portion of the arrow. Was wondering with regards to weight that maybe a plastic nock would work better since it would allow more weight to be up front. Also, the plastic nocks can be pressed fit and no glue needed.

Question - Can I get plastic nocks for my Firebolts? Called Excalibur today and they said the inside dimension for a Firebolt shaft is .3015. Or, is it one of the things where the aluminum inserts are better.

Any insight / suggestions appreciated.

John
Normous

Re: Plastic Nocks - Thoughts ?

Post by Normous »

I don't know if plastic nocks are available for the Firebolts (probably not), but you can easily cut up to 70% off a aluminum rear nock with a hack saw to reduce rear weight and increase FOC at the same time. A grain scale and sandpaper will keep them uniform in weight. Also, you will glue these shortened nocks in.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Excalibur Firebolts are made by Easton.
Easton Powerbolt is the same shaft.
Below is a link where you can find components you may be interested in.
I've always used aluminum nocks myself but many use plastic with success.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/arrows/cro ... components
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Sure like aluminum and I am going to lighten some as Enormous spoke of.The idea of the plastic being lighter and giving more FOC without adding weight is great but I have had some partial dryfires with them. I know that lots of other folks shoot these and dont have any issues, but I just cant get completely comforable with them after I had the dryfires. No sense fixin' something that aint broke. I'll stick with the alum. as they have always been 100% for me. It doesnt make sense to me to shoot a crossbow thats 100% dependable and then load it with a "probable" arrow.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

flightattendant100 wrote:Sure like aluminum and I am going to lighten some as Enormous spoke of.The idea of the plastic being lighter and giving more FOC without adding weight is great but I have had some partial dryfires with them. I know that lots of other folks shoot these and dont have any issues, but I just cant get completely comforable with them after I had the dryfires. No sense fixin' something that aint broke. I'll stick with the alum. as they have always been 100% for me. It doesnt make sense to me to shoot a crossbow thats 100% dependable and then load it with a "probable" arrow.
X5,000 :) Aluminum works 100% so why change :?: They are also easy to remove w/the tool that screws in so you can pull them out, But TETO :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

If I buy any arrows that have plastic nocks I take them out and order aluminum inserts. I've read too much about partial misfires with plastic nocks to use them.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
philman

Post by philman »

[quote="Ont_Excal"]Excalibur Firebolts are made by Easton.
Easton Powerbolt is the same shaft.
Below is a link where you can find components you may be interested in.
I've always used aluminum nocks myself but many use plastic with success.

Easton Powerbolts and Excalibur Firebolts are not the same shafts.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Aluminum nocks weigh about 22 grs. I'm of the opinion they are not worth cutting on, not enough weight change to show up..................BTDT, lol.......
"Eze 18:21"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

philman wrote: Easton Powerbolts and Excalibur Firebolts are not the same shafts.
That's what a dealer told me.
They both have the same C2 trademark on them.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
philman

Post by philman »

Maybe BigJohn or Crazyfarmer can touch on this. But the raw Easton Powerbolts shafts I have are not the same inside diameter shafts as my raw Firebolts shafts.