I have a question about shooting longer distances

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JohnnyDollar

I have a question about shooting longer distances

Post by JohnnyDollar »

Ok here's the question- if the varizone scope is sighted in at 20,30,40,&50 and you wanted to shoot at 60 or 70 then could you put the 50 yd mark on the target and see where the 40 yd mark is and then raise the 50 yd to where the 40 yd was and be on at 60yds and so on for 70 yds? This is strictly a hypothetical question.
I love the smell of damp rotting leaves in the morning
strum

Re: I have a question about shooting longer distances

Post by strum »

JohnnyDollar wrote:Ok here's the question- if the varizone scope is sighted in at 20,30,40,&50 and you wanted to shoot at 60 or 70 then could you put the 50 yd mark on the target and see where the 40 yd mark is and then raise the 50 yd to where the 40 yd was and be on at 60yds and so on for 70 yds? This is strictly a hypothetical question.
ill try to answer for you man..since i never tried it all i can go on is my amazing intellegance.. 8) cept i dont know how to spell intellagence,, :lol:
the farther you shoot the more drop you have so what you are thinking probly wont work . it just stands to reason that (ill guess a number here ) that if you have to hold 3 inches higher than 50 for a 60 yard shot then you may have to hold 7 or 8 for a 70 yard....all that said i hope you wont attempt this on a deer.. :shock: but for the fun of target shooting
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
JohnnyDollar

Post by JohnnyDollar »

I wouldn't try it on a deer I was watching some totes in a food plot and they were 70 yds out and I was setting there looking through the scope and my 2 broken wheels in my head started spinning ( or probably wobbling) so I asked the question hoping someone would know. Just curious really.
strum

Post by strum »

JohnnyDollar wrote:I wouldn't try it on a deer I was watching some totes in a food plot and they were 70 yds out and I was setting there looking through the scope and my 2 broken wheels in my head started spinning ( or probably wobbling) so I asked the question hoping someone would know. Just curious really.
..well heck man in that case ..why didnt ya just sling one at em .. :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
rej

Post by rej »

Get a Leupold Crossbones scope. They have references to 60 yd. For me that range is for targets and with heavier arrows grouping is < > 4".
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

When practicing with the Exomax this summer, I was shooting out to 60 yards on a regular basis. Thought "What the heck" and tried setting it up as per the following:

20 through 50 are BANG-ON through the range. At 60, I found I had to aim just a smidge higher than the indicated chevron for that distance. Have yet to try 70, but would guess it would require holding higher than the distance between the chevrons to accommodate for the increase in drop?

Don't think I'd ever risk a shot like that on an animal, but coyote, Probably... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
JohnnyDollar

Post by JohnnyDollar »

IronNoggin wrote:When practicing with the Exomax this summer, I was shooting out to 60 yards on a regular basis. Thought "What the heck" and tried setting it up as per the following:

20 through 50 are BANG-ON through the range. At 60, I found I had to aim just a smidge higher than the indicated chevron for that distance. Have yet to try 70, but would guess it would require holding higher than the distance between the chevrons to accommodate for the increase in drop?

Don't think I'd ever risk a shot like that on an animal, but coyote, Probably... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Nog that is very good info right there! That's kinda what I thought would happen but wasn't real sure. Thanks for the replies.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Drop A hawke sr scope on has increment's out to 100 with great accuracy. Been using this scope since may and 100 yd's aren't a problem really have to play with bolt weight's , fletching's and foc. I found what my exo 200 likes and what my buddies' nox like's. I did shoot 100 out of my varizone just by guessing / adding the extra 50 yd's of increments but that just allowed me to hit the 2'x2' block.
Have fun !!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

My Leupold has markers for up to 60 yds. I was at a Benefit Shoot w/ Mikey one year over in Tn.

The 'unknown distance' target was 81 yds. I shot several times and never came close. They had a white bear about 2 1/2' tall w/ an orange dot on it the size of a snuff can lid [2 1/2"].

I noticed it was on their 100 yd range guessed it was 80 yds. I held my 60 on the dot and looked where my 40 was on the back stop. Held the 60 yd point above to where the 40 had been.

I then put 3 into the bear only missing the dot by 1/4", 3/4" and last shot was about a foot low. Offhand...........
"Eze 18:21"
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Buy an HHA Optimizer if you want to shoot at longer distances and use a single crosshair scope. This way you can dial in to the exact yard. The Optimizer comes with yardage tapes for different speeds and you can also put your own tapes on there. I've seen people use them on You Tube videos shooting targets from the bench out to 100 yards. I think shooting targets is the key here but not for hunting. Most people I think limit their shots to 40 yards and under while hunting.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Bones wrote:Drop A hawke sr scope on has increment's out to 100 with great accuracy. Been using this scope since may and 100 yd's aren't a problem really have to play with bolt weight's , fletching's and foc. I found what my exo 200 likes and what my buddies' nox like's. I did shoot 100 out of my varizone just by guessing / adding the extra 50 yd's of increments but that just allowed me to hit the 2'x2' block.
Have fun !!
What Bones said X` 10 shot one on the past weekend
I just ordered one one from Erie tracker no one else had them in Hamilton aria
Joe
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

To be clear, I whole-heartedly agree with the "40 and under" rule of thumb.............buuuuuuuuttt....since we are talking hypothetically here...... 8) I took the data from the excal website for arrow speed of a 400gr arrow starting out at 300fps. Plotted that in excel and got the equation of the line for how fast it slows down and calculated arrow speed at 100 yards,....it equals 243fps. I then calculated KE of a 400gr arrow going 243 fps and I get a kinetic energy of 52.30ft-lbs. - plenty to go through a deer. 8) So if the main issue at 40 yds is bow noise and a deer jumping the string....then a 100 yd shot would be fine as the noise (at the deer) would be greatly diminished and the deer probably would not react - until it was properly ventilated. . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I"M KIDDING.....but it is kinda cool to know that you could kill a deer at 100 yds with your Excal.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Yes it will work. The gap between the 40 & 50 yard marks is greater when shooting at 60 & 70 yards , just try it with a good rest.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Rufus wrote:Yes it will work. The gap between the 40 & 50 yard marks is greater when shooting at 60 & 70 yards , just try it with a good rest.
Nope I've done it , same gaps all the way out as far as you can judge.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Place a yard stick next to your target stand at 20yds put your 30yd crosshair on the bullseye then check the distance above the bulleye the 20yd crosshair is on the yard stick then go to 40yds and put the 30yrd crosshair on the bullseye now check the 20yd crosshair on the yard stick you will see that the distance increases between the crosshairs, the more you move away from the target the more that gap distance increases