Watch Your Step!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GooGoos

Watch Your Step!

Post by GooGoos »

Dad bout stepped on him on the way out the woods this mornin. Thats why we wear snake boots!

We had a great hunt this morning. I heard a bunch of turkeys right at daylight. Then at 930 this morning I heard something running through water in the bottom. I looked over and saw 3 does about 100yds out. They made there way 125yds behind me. One of the does went running 60yds behind me; bleeted at her and it was like she hit the emergency brake. I was shakin like a leaf, but I put the 30.06 winchester crosshairs on her and squezzed the trigger. She ran back to the other two does and they just stood there and went back to feeding. I worked the bolt and tried again. They ran like 10yds, stopped and I didn't see three deer anymore; only two. Well I watched them for almost another 15minutes. Dad came over to me about 1030. Told him what happened. He went looking for my doe and nothing :/ Well as he is looking the doe jumps up and takes off running like nothing was wrong with her. Another clean miss on the board for me :/ I dunno what curse I have with missing but I'm ready to break it! This was also the first time I took a shot longer than 70yds at a deer. I had no issue with those long drawn out shots at bootcamp; these deer are whoppin my butt this season!
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
Dayelight

Re: Watch Your Step!

Post by Dayelight »

Geeeez.
I guess you have to watch your step where youre at.
I dont have too much concern here in MD. The only snake I have seen so far this year is a black sanke, and Im glad to have them around.
Looks like you got a little trophy out of the deal though.
Good luck hunting.

Daye
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
vhntr1

Post by vhntr1 »

That's a big one glad we don't have to deal with them in Ohio ,I would never get my daughter in the woods .
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

At least that is a good snake...... DEAD!!

I hate no shoulders!! Glad to hear nobody was bitten and the no shoulders id DEAD!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
wabi

Post by wabi »

vhntr1 wrote:That's a big one glad we don't have to deal with them in Ohio ,I would never get my daughter in the woods .
We do have them here in southern Ohio, but you'd better not get caught killing one! :shock:
The Timber Rattlesnake and Eastern Massauga are both on the endangered species list here.
wabi
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

That is a long critter to be sure.
I'm glad I don't have to contend with them in my hunting area.

Massasauga home range.

Did you know?:

>The Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake is Michigan 's only poisonous snake
>Rattlesnakes make up the genus Crotalus, the name from Greek word krotalon, meaning rattle.
>Detroit 's Belle Island was once home to so many Massasauga Rattlesnakes; it earned the name ‘ Snake Island '.
>Eastern Massasauga rattlesnakes are shy and avoid humans when they can.
>An Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake bite is often a very painful experience and should always be taken seriously, even though it is not necessarily fatal.

http://www.easternmassasaugarattlesnake.com/

The home range as shown may not be indicative of snake populations.
There had been a bounty on rattlers until the 1970s and then became protected when their numbers collapsed.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
vhntr1

Post by vhntr1 »

Interesting info I did see one years ago at killdeer plans wildlife area will I was training my birddogs .
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

We have alot of Rattlers here in s.w. Va. I bird hunt 3 to 5 times a week in thick crop fields of Milo,Sourgham and pearl millet . They are there after Rats and Mice . I watch as close as possibly but cant see the ground hardly at all ! So when you say Watch Were You Step . I know what you mean !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Thankfully most of us in hunting gear won't have to worry about being bit.
The Massasauga have relatively short fangs when compared to most other rattlers. They're noted as a swamp rattler but my only encounters were rocky areas away from water bodies.
Back in the 50s when roads were built to and through Killbear Point Provincial Park a staff member told me that more 50 rattlers per mile of road were killed.
That park is north of Parry Sound Ontario on Georgian Bay.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"