mystery hip pain

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

mystery hip pain

Post by wabi »

This summer I had an ear infection and the doctor put me on 5 days of antibiotic. About the third day my left hip joint and the muscles around it were hurting when I walked any distance. I figured it might be the antibiotic, but went ahead and finished the last two days of it because I wanted to be able to hear.

The hip pain remained.
It is so bad I have to stop and rest for a minute about every 20 yards when I walking uphill, then I go another 20 yards and I have to stop again. :shock: It seem like if I can sit down for 15-20 minutes I feel fine, but 5-10 minutes of walking and it's back.

Last trip to the doctor I mentioned it to him, and the fact the ibuprofen I take daily for bursitis in my shoulder doesn't help with the hip at all.

He suspected arthritis and put me on 5 days of prednisone, telling me I would either feel better by the weekend, or it was something else.
The prednisone had no effect on the hip.

He then prescribed a series of X-rays which I had last week.

Called today and the X-ray results showed everything with the joint, tendons, and muscle connections are fine. No problems in the hip at all.

The doctor is out until next week, but I told the nurse to call the report to his attention and see if he has a plan "C" we can try!

Anyone ever had anything similar?????
wabi
rayman

Re: mystery hip pain

Post by rayman »

Several years ago I was with some friends riding around on the lease we used to hunt on. Must admit that there was a cooler of beer involved. We saw an armadillo and a wild chase ensued through the palmettos and pine stumps. Good times. :) Don't remember busting my knee on anything, but it got very soar. Almost to the point of being barely able to walk on it. Stayed soar for several weeks and then my other knee became soar because I was walking funny. The first knee finally got better after a few weeks but the other one stayed soar for months. Then it just finally quit being soar. Wasn't much on going to the doctor in those days. Alls well that ends well. This story may not help unless you were drinking beer and chasing armadillos on the third day of your antibiotics.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

have him check your iliacs ....sounds like what happened to me and they could not find out the problem till it was to late. Blockage restricks the blood flow when walking
lscha

Post by lscha »

Sciatic nerve pain can feel like it's in the hip and is very painful. Most medication doesn't touch it. I've had it before and I have it again. It lasts for months. It is usually caused by sitting but an active day walking can make the pain scream at nite. The only good thing about Sciatica is that it doesn't involve hip replacement.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
wabi

Post by wabi »

lscha wrote:Sciatic nerve pain can feel like it's in the hip and is very painful. Most medication doesn't touch it. I've had it before and I have it again. It lasts for months. It is usually caused by sitting but an active day walking can make the pain scream at nite. The only good thing about Sciatica is that it doesn't involve hip replacement.
That might be a possibility. I've had problems with the sciatic nerve being pinched in the past. (too many spine injuries over the years)
wabi
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Yup that was my guess also, I've had it a few times and its a nasty thing, I did get some help by seeing my Ostiopath, and like lscha mentioned, meds did nothing for me.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Boo

Post by Boo »

wabi wrote:
lscha wrote:Sciatic nerve pain can feel like it's in the hip and is very painful. Most medication doesn't touch it. I've had it before and I have it again. It lasts for months. It is usually caused by sitting but an active day walking can make the pain scream at nite. The only good thing about Sciatica is that it doesn't involve hip replacement.
That might be a possibility. I've had problems with the sciatic nerve being pinched in the past. (too many spine injuries over the years)
Me too, I now have to wear New Balance running or walking shoes, Rockports etc. One minute in the wrong shoes and I have a shooting pain from the top of my butt to the back of my knees. :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Exactly what I wear also Don, and with $500 orthotics inside to boot.( thank god for insurance)
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

My ex-wife was a real pain in the ....hip, but I dont think she has been to Ohio.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Got to thinking, and I did buy a new pair of shoes not long before the mystery pain appeared. :shock:
Been wearing them every day, but this morning they went back in the closet and the old moccasins are back on my feet.
I'll see if there's any improvement. :?
wabi
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

last year i could not do a hundred yds in the woods. i had pain very similar to you .arthirits cause a problem called spinal stenios . had my back done in jan can walk fine now no back or hip pain . but i also have this problem in my neck which will have to be done . you might need a mri hope you feel better soon
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

If I were you I'd be headed to an orthoped to look into getting some orthotics. Could be a long list of causes. One leg slightly longer than the other, pelvic alignment, pronating, etc. etc.. Get an assessment from an orthoped. If you have a benefit plan they may be covered. Even if they're not, a couple hundred bucks to get rid of chronic pain is money well spent IMO.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

I will vouch for the SCIATIC never pinch. Never had issues until June this year. As I type this my hip from rear end all the way around the front hurst like a SOB.
They are right no med really helps.
I do find though that using my incline table helps make it managable.
Hope thats not your issue. Wouldn't wish this on worst enemy.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Bursitis is a type of arthritis and so is gout.
I would suspect the latter.
You can get rid of the gout but it will take time and diet is real important factor.
Take care.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Good luck "Wabi" pain is not what we want to live with any time in our lives, but as we get older, it seems to be more of a regular part of life, If us older folks knew what we know now we would have taken better care of ourselves, :roll: Personaly, I have been rode hard, and put up wet, too many times, and now i am paying the price, :lol: Hope you can get the problem fixed, your too young to put out to pasture, :wink: :wink:

Dave
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings