Squirrel bait

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DaGriz

Re: Squirrel bait

Post by DaGriz »

I have a real problem with the number of hairy tree rats at my place I use Victor rat traps baited with peanut butter I camoflage them by covering with fallen leaves and never put a trap in the same place. I move them at least 6 feet each time I catch one. Birds don't see the trap and neither do the tree rats. I check the traps three times a day, The tree rats find them by smell, but then it's too late for them. :D
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I am raising my own stew :lol:
Naw but i might have to keep them through the winter ...i never seen babies this young this late in the season
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

I have a live trap, and use peanut butter and whole peanuts. I have caught 8 this past summer and took them for a 5 mile ride, up to the state farm for release.

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
rayman

Post by rayman »

In my trapping days took an interest in yard squirrels. Found sunflower seeds to be the most consistent bait. They can't stand a sunflower seed where they can see it. The squirrel population at a trap site seems to learn with each trapping and the next squirrel will be one step ahead of the last. They can not be allowed to dig under the trap to get the seeds, or be able to tip the trap over once they get caught in it. Good luck.

Awshucks - that's nasty. :)

Onebig - I'm afraid Id never be able to kill squirrels again if I raised a batch. My son picked up a baby turkey in the driveway last spring and now I'm afraid to kill any turkeys on our place. :?
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I'd've (<-- it's a word...really! :D ) never thought to use a rat trap on these critters, That must be a sight to see for sure. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The rat traps work great when triggered . . . I nailed one squirrel within an hour of setting it out on the back porch . . .then for three days, I got nothing and I watched squirrels walk around it.

Somehow, they know.

I've moved it around in the yard and have tried different baits, still nothing.

I took the first one using just peanut butter. I've tried sunflower seed, sunflower seed and peanut butter mix . . .nothing.

I've been working the polls here in Georgia and haven't been able to do any trapping.

Heading out to get some peanuts in the shell. However, I think I'm going to have to do a better job of camo on the trap itself.

I like that bucket trap . . .might have to make one of those when I get a chance. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

For great fun, just staple a 110 Conibear to a tree. Bait it up and watch it throw a squirrel 3-4' in the air when they trip it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

awshucks wrote:For great fun, just staple a 110 Conibear to a tree. Bait it up and watch it throw a squirrel 3-4' in the air when they trip it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Now that sounds like good entertainment right there. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

awshucks wrote:For great fun, just staple a 110 Conibear to a tree. Bait it up and watch it throw a squirrel 3-4' in the air when they trip it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Similar!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oly2S2NhF6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPMfxEAn9YU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAd3ALa--gg
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I need a squirrel chucker and a pond. :lol: :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I thought you might like that one. :wink: :lol:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Hey Sumner. I do use peanut butter and the way I get around them conditioning to it id that I put a little dab outside the trap then a little dab inside the trap on the floor before the trip mechanism then a good smear on the trip mechanism. They get the first two samplers without a problem then the third one costs them. Caught four this week that way. Hope this helps.

F