Rifle scope on Vixen

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Norlander

Rifle scope on Vixen

Post by Norlander »

Can a rifle scope be used on a crossbow without the risk of damage to the scope?
The reflex sight I've had on my Vixen for a few years has packed it in and it may be a while before I can replace it.
I have an old Weaver K3 sitting on the shelf that I could mount until I can pick up a reflex or red dot.
I've been told that a pellet rifle will kill an ordinary rifle scope because they are not made for the "backwards" recoil. Since a crossbow's recoil is basically the same, would I risk damaging the old Weaver?
I realize the parallax on the Weaver isn't ideal for close range applications, but I could live with that for the time being.
Anybody use a rifle scope on their crossbow?

Jerry
copperjohn

Re: Rifle scope on Vixen

Post by copperjohn »

It depends on the make and model. Contact the company that made it and ask them if the scope can withstand multidirectional recoil. Generally speaking, if it is okay to put on an air rifle, its solid enough to put on a crossbow.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Been using a Leupold 2-7x shotgun scope on my Phoenix for a few years now with no problems at all.
After having 3 "crossbow" scopes and 1 inexpensive "rifle" scope fail I was about to give up.
However, I wouldn't want to guess on the old Weaver's ability to stand up on a crossbow. As I recall some of the old Weavers were tough, but you might be better off trading (or selling) the Weaver and buying another reflex sight.
wabi
wolv1001

Post by wolv1001 »

I shoot a Simmons pro diamond 1.5x5 shotgun scope on my vixen, works great.I actually use the top/bottom of the diamond as a sight at different ranges,cross hairs are sighted in at 15 yrds.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I can't say wether it will hang in or get ate by yer Excal. I have used rifle scoped on my Excals & have a Bushnell on Mad Max right now
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
feillins

Post by feillins »

Hello guys,
I just wanted to know if you hunt vixen, what are you doing to them afterwards. Are you gonna burried them or going to make them into meat and cook?