old 10 pointer down.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

old 10 pointer down.

Post by catcher »

Well what started out as a coyote hunt turned out for me to have an encounter with a buck I have had a lot of history with for the past 5 years. On Saturday I checked my camera and there were a few deer showing up including the buck that I shot , but what made want to go out on Saturday afternoon was that on my camera for the last three afternoons in a row there were 2 coyotes coming in to eat the apples and I thought I would go and try my luck with them since a friend of mine wants to mount one.
So it was raining steady but I thought I would be ok due to I would be in a ground blind and sheltered from the rain. so I settled in for the afternoon hunt and the steady pitter patter of the rain on the ground blind almost hypnotized me. Then at 6:21 I catch a glimpse of white in the bushes and out steps this buck. I only had to look at him for one second and noticing the huge body on him that I was going to try and take him. So as soon as he lowered his head I raised the crossbow and soon I was looking at his chest through the scope. I settled the crosshairs on the sweet spot low on the shoulder and let the Boo string push a lighted firebolt right off the rail of my phoenix. The bolt cutter found it's mark and that familiar sound of a hit like a paper bag being smacked was heard. Off he went like a rocket and I quickly put my head out the window to see and listen for him as he ran off , but I only heard the rain.
I waited for a half hour and decide to go back to the house and get the kids for the search. I was worried that the rain would wash any sign of blood, and I was right , when I got back to track him there was nothing no blood, no nothing. So I headed in the direction in which I last saw him go , and soon after a short walk of 65 to 70 yards I could see his rack sticking out of the grass with the flashlight. Oh man I was so happy to find him with no blood trail and no tracks at all.
A couple of field photos in the rain and off to the house to hang him and weigh him , my scale said 240 lbs field dressed. The next morning I went to our local hunting store Chesher outdoors and weighed him in there as well due to I have a big buck ticket there , and he still weighed 240 even. So that put me in first place so far , actually it is the second biggest buck ever weighed in that store ever. I was talking to Bill Chesher and he said the deer looked old and got me thinking that he did look like a deer that I was after a few years ago, but his rack has gone done hill a bit. He definitely is the same buck I have a history with and he has kept his mass but the tine length has gone down a bit which is normal for a deer as he gets older. So with the sheds I have and the age of his sheds that would make him 7 or 8 years old. A real old buck in the deer woods. Very cool to finally get the buck that I hunted for so hard a few years ago and I actually thought he was killed or died somehow due to I never got a pic of him at all last year. I guess he was laying low. He is a clean ten pointer and has got some serious mass through his main beams and I am very proud of him that is for sure.

Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
montana4me

Re: old 10 pointer down.

Post by montana4me »

That is a huge & very nice Buck! :D Good job!
There's plenty of room for all gods creatures. Right next to the mashed potatoes!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

That is some serious mass for sure! Good going!

Its funny, I was just thinking that there won't be many deer shot this weekend in southern Ontario due to this cold miserable rain, but perhaps a few nuts will be out hunting. Glad you were one of those nuts! :wink: :lol:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations on a very nice buck!!!!!

Wind & rain here this evening and I decided to stay home. Now you've got me questioning my decision. :lol:
wabi
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D very nice deer indeed!!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Wow Ger! That is some nice deer! What a pig! Great story and awesome picture! Glad you took the time!
Congratulations!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Wow that is a huge body on that deer he is a brute a big congrats to you!
Now hunt the gut pile and you will get those coyotes.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Congratulations That is one of the nicest bucks i have seen in a long time ...Bet the back straps be big as burgers.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

He's a toad. congrats.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
catcher

Post by catcher »

wabi wrote:Congratulations on a very nice buck!!!!!

Wind & rain here this evening and I decided to stay home. Now you've got me questioning my decision. :lol:
It was funny ,it was like the animals knew a storm was brewing , I saw rabbits , squirrels , raccoons , grouse and all kinds of birds , and then the buck. The rain never bothered any of them.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

WOW!! Very nice now that the bucks out of the picture go get the yotes! congrats!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
catcher

Post by catcher »

Boo wrote:Wow Ger! That is some nice deer! What a pig! Great story and awesome picture! Glad you took the time!
Congratulations!
Well Don you taught me well , I think of you every time I am taking field pics Lol The kids loved it when I cut the tongue off for the picture at night , and then they thought I was nuts when I had a rag out wiping the face of the deer trying to get the blood off. Lol
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Big John

Post by Big John »

Congrats Bud!!!! :)
Glad you went out and put the Hammer Down!!! 8)
I didnt even ponder going out for the last two days.
Now its getting worse. :roll:

CONGRATS!!!! :D
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
GooGoos

Post by GooGoos »

That is a MONSTER compared to our deer! Wow, congrats on taking a great buck and sharing a great hunt you had! Way to go!
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Waahhooo a fine deer indeed, congrats to you
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315