S5 with Dyna strings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sswain

S5 with Dyna strings

Post by sswain »

I just picked up an Exocet 200 and strung it with the Dyna Flight strings (want the extra 15fps :D )... I also setup the S5 (String Shock Sound Suppression System)... I notice to get proper brace height; my string is really pushing into the S5 pads... If i untwist to get off the pads I'm just behind the highest brace height marker.

My question is, what impact will there be on string performance and life as well of chance of string failure if I'm pushing into the pads rather than sitting off them 1/16" or 1/8".

Thanks!
2012 Excalibur Exocet 200
Excalibur Flemish String / Shadow-Zone Scope / S5 / Cheek Rest
Easton Firebolts
125 gr. Rage 2 Blade Crossbow BH
Gamikatsu

Re: S5 with Dyna strings

Post by Gamikatsu »

if your brace height is that far up... to where its above hte top mark... then something is not right. my vortex, the string rests about 1/8th of an inch away from the bumpers, and is about 1/4 or 1/8th below the top mark. and i've looked at about 8 bows set up properly with S5's and they all set at the same place... set yours about 1/8th an inch away. are your bumpers pressed all the way on the S5 mounts?
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

X2 Gamikatsu, My new Equinox is exactly like what Gamikatsu describes. The flat front edge of my S5s sits at 1" BH. You may want to re-check the S5 install.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
sswain

Post by sswain »

Thanks for the info! I pretty certain i seated them on the mount but, I'll have another look to see if i didn't seat them properly. I think either way need to take a couple twists off to bring it down below the marker and off the pad.

Thanks again!
Easton Firebolts
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I believe you mean to "add CCW twists to the string" to bring it off the pads.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

I'm shooting the same setup Exocet 200 S5 flemish string an keep the string around the thickness of 2-credit cards off the pads without any problems. Takes the flemish string awhile to settle in an stop stretching. I tend to switch ends when adjusting the brace height, no special reason, just how I do it.

Here's a vidieo shows what yer string does.

http://www.crossbow-review.com/TechCorn ... NSB_p2.htm
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Leave the bow cocked overnight a time or two to facilitate getting the FFF's broke in...........
"Eze 18:21"
Foonus

Post by Foonus »

boocustomstrings webwsite wrote:
"I suggest that you start with a brace height of one inch. Bill Troubridge (owner and founder of Excalibur Crossbows) and Kenny Barr (2 time 3D World 3D Champion) both shoot a one inch brace height. Go as low a brace height as possible not the highest. You'll hear many parrot a high brace height. Ignore what you hear and find your own but start around one inch."
Click to enlarge if you eyes are like mine!

This what i see, this new string is pretty much right on the top line now, needs to be fired a few more times but should drop down a bit.
My concern is that with the S5 on there is no way to set the brace height to 1 inch as the s5 is just over 1 1/8'' up the brace by itself. Guess Bill doesn't use S5 :mrgreen:
The distance between the S5 head and the string is also just over 1/16 (barely visible, but still visible by eye) closer to the string than the S5 on the other side, even after the rubber stoppers are swapped. Despite this the measure between the sting and the line on the rail is equal on both sides.
Will probably end up 1/8 inch above the S5, but looking at the above quote from boo's it doesn't seem like an ideal spot... why are these dang s5 so high?? There is only one mount screw to put them on, IE no option to mount them any other way. :?:

Advice? Concerns?
Last edited by Foonus on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
\\\\\___________________\"-._
/////~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/.-'

Equinox/Tact-Zone/FFF String/S-5/TAC Pak
CX Maxima Hunter 20'' W/ Muzzy Crosskill 125gn. Total 413gn.
Leupold RX-1000 TBR DNA
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Foonus wrote:
boocustomstrings webwsite wrote:
"I suggest that you start with a brace height of one inch. Bill Troubridge (owner and founder of Excalibur Crossbows) and Kenny Barr (2 time 3D World 3D Champion) both shoot a one inch brace height. Go as low a brace height as possible not the highest. You'll hear many parrot a high brace height. Ignore what you hear and find your own but start around one inch."
This what i see, this new string is pretty much right on the top line now, needs to be fired a few more times but should drop down a bit.
My concern is that with the S5 on there is no way to set the brace height to 1 inch as the s5 is just over 1 1/8'' up the brace by itself.
The distance between the S5 head and the string is also just over 1/16 (barely visible, but still visible by eye) closer to the string than the S5 on the other side, yet the measure between the sting and the line on the rail is equal on both sides.
Will probably end up 1/8 inch above the S5, but looking at the above quote from boo's it doesn't seem like an ideal spot... why are these dang s5 so high?? There is only one mount screw to put them on, IE no option to mount them any other way. :?:

Advice? Concerns?
After the string is settled in,adjust brace to the distance you like( a credit card width to 1/8th in.)from the S-5's and shoot.The S-5's pretty well determine what brace ht. you need to shoot.It's not all that critical, just dont let 'em press on the S-5's. You are good to go.
Foonus

Post by Foonus »

flightattendant100 wrote: ...The S-5's pretty well determine what brace ht. you need to shoot....
Guess Bill doesn't use S5 if he sets at 1'' :mrgreen:
Would you be concerned if the distance between one rubber stopper was 2 credit cards and the other 3-4, and even after swapping the stoppers you get the same result on the same side. Would it twitch the string to that side as it hits it and also affect aim of the bolt by doing so?? What do you think?
/////~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/.-'

Leupold RX-1000 TBR DNA
sswain

Post by sswain »

I think you guys have thoroughly answered my question! the pic's were a great help.
I spent a bit more time twisting/untwisting and now have it 1-1/4" in brace height and 1/8" off the stoppers... should have spend more time with it the first go around.

Thank you!!!
Easton Firebolts
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Foonus wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote: ...The S-5's pretty well determine what brace ht. you need to shoot....
Guess Bill doesn't use S5 if he sets at 1'' :mrgreen:
Would you be concerned if the distance between one rubber stopper was 2 credit cards and the other 3-4, and even after swapping the stoppers you get the same result on the same side. Would it twitch the string to that side as it hits it and also affect aim of the bolt by doing so?? What do you think?
Doubt it will affect the aim pt but it would show Tiller is off a tad!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

Foonus, if you read the upper part of my page that you quoted you'll have read more pertinent information on string stoppers and brace height.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Foonus

Post by Foonus »

vixenmaster wrote:
Foonus wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote: Doubt it will affect the aim pt but it would show Tiller is off a tad!
Boo wrote:Foonus, if you read the upper part of my page that you quoted you'll have read more pertinent information on string stoppers and brace height.
I came across that quote here on the forum m8, i didn't actually realize there was any more to deal with it, thanks

As far as i know the only way to solve this on a recurve is new matching limbs...
Last edited by Foonus on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
/////~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/.-'

Leupold RX-1000 TBR DNA
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you have a tiller/limb issue all you really need to do is to send the limbs off to either Excalibur in Canada or Danny Miller in Ohio.
Fill in your location because sometimes it's easier to help you if we know where you are.
Some people just like stepping on rakes