Sad story

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

Re: Sad story

Post by one shot scott »

Im not 100% schooled on the hunting laws on the reserve. but I believe that bowhunting/gun is allowed at most anytime. This happened pretty close to where i am. We off the reserve are not allowed to hunt with a rifle, let alone a 270. shotgun or muzzle loader only. Failure to properly identify the target is the biggest fail here and it cost a man his life. He had permission from the landowner to bowhunt that day... Hunting from a roadway as assanine as i think it may be, could very well be allowed on the rez.

For fargs sake, dont shoot at shadows or noise, or movement. If someone shoots at me, im shooting back!!

I also think that only 1 week of gun hunting being permitted around here for the guys who only gun hunt is creating alot of pressure for these guys to try and "git er done" in the short time that they have. Its a breeding ground for accidents, trespassing and roadhunting.... "get it done at all costs... no co's around here...." :roll:

my opinion, mine alone.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

I believe non natives hunting on reserves have to follow provincial hunting laws. So if bow season wasn't open, Peter Kosid was hunting illegally. BFD.
The shooter could have just as easily shot a kid. Fortunately for Stan Jonathan pretty much every thing he did that day was legal. They sure have some progressive hunting rules on reserves.

We have no jurisdiction on Six Nations hunting: Province

Criminal code still applies after accidental death of Hamilton man
Peter Kosid of Hamilton was accidentally shot and killed by another hunter Sunday morning while hunting on land in the Six Nations Reserve.
Peter Kosid of Hamilton was accidentally shot and killed by another hunter Sunday morning while hunting on land in the Six Nations Reserve.

Sabina Marrone talks about her fiance Peter Kosid, who was shot and killed accidentally by another hunter Sunday morning on the Six Nations Reserve.
‘One careless shot and my husband is taken away from me’
Nov 13, 2012 Bowhunter Peter Kosid, a 28-year-old father, was felled by a shot in the back from across a farm field on a Six Nations property

The province has no jurisdiction over hunting on the Six Nations Reserve, where a Hamilton man was killed by a bullet fired from the roadside.

Peter Kosid was bow hunting on a Six Nations farm Sunday when he was accidentally killed by an Ohsweken man police have described as a deer hunter.

Charges are still pending against the unidentified man, who police say shot from 3rd Line Road across a farm field and into a line of trees more than three football fields away.

Six Nations Constable Derrick Anderson said Tuesday police were still investigating the circumstances of the shooting, including the legality of the hunting.

The Ministry of Natural Resources regulates hunting in Ontario and sets out legal timelines for hunting specific game and using specific weapons such as bows and rifles, said spokesperson Jolanta Kowalski.

The regulations also forbid shooting hunting guns from a public road or at unseen targets — unless you’re hunting on a First Nations reserve.

“MNR does not have jurisdiction on reserves for hunting or fishing violations involving (First Nations) people living on that reserve,” she said Tuesday.

Aboriginal reserves such as Six Nations are effectively sovereign territories that are self-governed and exempt from taxation.

That means provincial hunting regulations don’t apply, but reserve residents are still subject to Canada’s criminal code, said Anderson.

He said Tuesday it was “tough to say” what charges might await the unidentified hunter.

But other hunters involved in past accidents in Ontario have been charged with criminal negligence or careless use of a firearm, for example.

Kosid’s fiancée, Sabina Marrone, said she hopes to see “serious” criminal charges.

“He took a careless shot and he took away my husband,” she told The Spectator Monday. “He deserves to spend time in jail.”

The provincial hunting guide recommends hunters contact elected band councils for information about hunting rules on First Nations reserve lands.

The Spectator wasn’t able to reach Six Nations elected Chief William Montour or wildlife manager Paul General Tuesday, but the council has issued online hunting safety warnings about “proper target identification” and the dangers of shooting at a noise.

The council’s wildlife managers “do some good work” training new hunters about safety, said Bryan Skye, a member of the traditional Haudenosaunee Six Nations Confederacy.

But Skye added not all hunters feel bound by rules set by an elected band council that Six Nations members like himself consider an “imposed” layer of government.

Skye said experienced Haudenosaunee hunters take their historical hunting rights and responsibilities seriously.

“We know how to act responsibly in the sense of both safety and conservation,” he said.

Kosid will be cremated Wednesday and a private wake will likely be held next week.

[email protected]

905-526-3241 | @Mattatthespec
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Progressive...huh.

What the dead guy was doing at the time is a moot point. It could have been a kid like you say oldskool. it will be interesting to see how it turns out but I think I have an idea.

I feel for the shooter too. I hear he's a decent guy and was a role model to many people. he fluffed up real bad, and 1 crappy decision doesn't make him a waste but he needs to answer for it.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
FISH-ON

Post by FISH-ON »

Truly sad and my prayers go out to the the family
On another note, I will be wearing orange from now on while x-bow hunting...better safe then sorry
Stay safe and make absolutely sure you know what your lining up in those crosshairs, no turning back once the trigger is pulled
GooGoos

Post by GooGoos »

That is just tragic to hear. Prayers are sent for the familys. Growing up hunting with my dad, he engraved in my head to always verify 110% everything I have plans on harvesting.
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
Dash

Post by Dash »

This is terrible news for all those involved. I still can't get over how many people are willing to take a shot at something that isn't 100% identified as game, or just let a shot go off into the distance. Whether the victim was wearing camo or not, hunting out of season or not, makes no difference to "basic" hunting codes.
This wrecklessness type behaviour is a real threat to the future of us who like to hunt.