30 yard shots are off

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ShaneInMN

30 yard shots are off

Post by ShaneInMN »

Hey folks, I just got my Ibex on Friday and have been shooting it since I got it, maybe 40 shots through it so far. Today I got my rest setup to sight in the scope as best as I could. 10 and 20 yard shots were hitting bullseye within 1", to the point where I wasn't even comfortable shooting more than 1 arrow at a time. I went back to 30 yards with the rest, and now the shots are low and to the right. I was using the tip of the 1st chevron below the crosshairs which is supposed to be 30 yards on this reticle.

Any ideas? I've heard after about 25 shots you need to adjust your string but I don't have a stringer aid yet, but I am not sure if that would cause this.

Ibex SMF - 11/23/12 - The greatest regret in my crossbow experience was not buying a recurve first
Woodspike

Re: 30 yard shots are off

Post by Woodspike »

First check your speed ring, then try adjusting your scope (one click at a time) left, and up. that "shouldn't" drastically effect your 20 yard POI...

EDIT: Start at 10 yards, take a shot at one spot on the target using the center crosshairs, move back to 20, shoot the same spot, using the center hairs, repeat at 30 yards. that should show you which setting to have your speed ring at.
ShaneInMN

Post by ShaneInMN »

Thanks Woodspike. I don't think my Axiom scope has a speed ring on it unless I'm missing it? Checked through the scope manual and it just has windage and elevation adjustments then focus and a lock for the focus.

Part # is AXI 1969
Ibex SMF - 11/23/12 - The greatest regret in my crossbow experience was not buying a recurve first
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

:( Sorry, assumed that came with the vari-zone. My mistake.

I'd say give the scope a few clicks left and up, and see what that does for ya.

What arrows and point weight are you shooting?
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Removed
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaneInMN

Post by ShaneInMN »

Woodspike wrote::( Sorry, assumed that came with the vari-zone. My mistake.

I'd say give the scope a few clicks left and up, and see what that does for ya.

What arrows and point weight are you shooting?
I'll give 'er a try next time I go out and report back. I am using the 20" factory carbon firebolts and 150gr field tips that came in my lite-stuff package. 417gr finished arrows if my math is right.
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

colouredchameleon wrote:
Woodspike wrote: EDIT: Start at 10 yards, take a shot at one spot on the target using the center crosshairs, move back to 20, shoot the same spot, using the center hairs, repeat at 30 yards. that should show you which setting to have your speed ring at.
Please clarify how this works to determine speed.
What is the indicator or results you are looking for to determine speed
With all the bolts left in the target, standing at 30 yards, adjust the speed dial on a Vari, or Shadow Zone scope until the 10,20,30 yard chevrons line up with the bolts... Not sure if the speed listed on the scopes dial is accurate, but if that's where it shoots, that's where it stays.

If you're serious about finding the speed of your bow, pick up a chronograph and fire away.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Eliminate 'pilot error' by shooting at a vertical piece of electricians tape at both ranges. Watch your wind at 30, looks like you have blazers on the arrows? They are less affected by crosswind.

Are you using the tip of the chevrons for aim points? If not, lol........Don't worry about the up and down yet.......

You may need to fudge a bit on your 20 to get the 30 in, but not much.

Don't worry, lot's of guys have the same setup and are killing deer w/ them, we'll figure this out.
"Eze 18:21"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

You are in good hands!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D on my axiom,witch is the same scope set up as yours, i would shoot from a rest at 20 yards and try to get sighted in close as you can to the bullseye. than after that try 30. also make sure everything is tight. on the scopes if your off from center, say an 1'' at ten yards, it doesn't sound like alot, but the further you go back that 1'' turns to 3'' or 4'', it adds up. good luck with it.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
ShaneInMN

Post by ShaneInMN »

Ok all, that is some solid information I will take back out to the range when I have some daylight next. I should also stick with sighting in with only 1 of my arrows. I think out of the 4 there is one that flys true, the others are off the mark a little.

As to aiming at the top of the chevron, yep, made sure the tip of it was sitting on bullseye.

I did see 1 thing that very well could have been an issue, when I brought the scope in I noticed my rings were not completely snug and the scope had shifted off level a bit. I got it set back up using a level across the rail of the crossbow with and a crosshair that I taped at the end of the hall, also leveled.

Also these are the factory arrows, so the 4" vanes that come on the carbon firebolts. I do have some 2" blazers that I could refletch them with, just wanting to see how this bow shoots with all stock equipment before I go upgrading.

Thanks!
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Go to the Blazers with a helical and you will never go back.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2 Bolt is the name, good shootin bheads is the game. I was so impressed I got two sets out on loan. Talk to Woodspike for a free look at: 'Bolt', G5 ASD and a stripper[for arrows].

Just agree to forward them to next in line when done.......... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
wabi

Post by wabi »

I did see 1 thing that very well could have been an issue, when I brought the scope in I noticed my rings were not completely snug and the scope had shifted off level a bit. I got it set back up using a level across the rail of the crossbow with and a crosshair that I taped at the end of the hall, also leveled.
That could account for the "windage" being off.

For "elevation" it could be a matter of arrow weight (velocity). The old "dropzone" scope I had on my first Excalibur (Vixen) was a fixed power and the chevrons were not on a 30-40-50 with my arrows. I just shot until I found the yardages they were "ON" at and remembered those distances. :wink: (something like 27-35-42 with that setup)
wabi
peter p

Post by peter p »

Make sure everything is tight.

Shoot off a rest and sight in at 30 yards with the 30 yard pin. Then shoot at 20 yards with the main cross hair.
See how that goes.