Performance help needed from all / including technicians

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Joshua 24:15

Performance help needed from all / including technicians

Post by Joshua 24:15 »

Good day Friends,

I am soliciting your help. I'm new to XBows but not to archery. I know what it takes to get the best performance and reduced noise from a compound bow. Now...I want to get the same from my Vortex.

I've read a lot of valuable information given by a lot of you...Thanks!

Please! Give me your advise on what you have tested and found to be proven.

Several topics: Brace height, speed, noise, and string.

Brace height for the best performance: I've resolved the best brace height is where the XBow's power stroke measurement ends. Example: Vortex is designed with a 15.5" power stroke. If I measure from where the rear of the bolt touches the string, at full draw, and come towards the riser 15.5" inches this is where my brace height needs to be for optimum performance. Your proven discoveries please?

String...why would Excalibur rate a bow with a string that they do not send with the bow? "New user dry fire?", this could be part of the reasoning, but my guess is Excalibur needs to stay competitive with other xbows, which is fair enough. However, the string used to produced the performance ratings should be the string to come on the bow. Is there something I'm missing or some other reasoning? Thoughts please.

S5 suppressors...do they really work? Are they worth the money? Can an obvious difference be observed when the S5 suppressors are added to the XBow? Tested and proven suggestions please?

Noise, noise, and noise. Is it possible to significantly reduce the noise on these XBows? Ideas tested and proven please!

I've read on some posts in this forum noise doesn't matter, speed doesn't matter, but the only thing that matters is shot placement.

Well... I agree but to an extent. I've been hunting long enough and hard enough to know that speed helps with a heavier arrow options, aids in flatter trajectory, and allows longer shots if wanted. Quietness helps not to spook game during long shots and, at times, allows for a second shot. These two things adds forgiveness and options, which is of great value to the hunter. Also...why not have a faster quieter XBow if possible?

I'm shooting fire bolt carbons weighing 370-372 grains with my brace height approx. 3/16" from the second line towards the riser. My string is not broke in yet, so I have to wait to set my power-stroke length (brace height). As of now, it shoots consistent in the 299-301FPS range. Way below what's claimed. Will this bow perform FPS as rated, without a lot of modifications that really should not cost extra?

I do need to add: I've been shooting this XBow a lot and have been hunting with it this past week. The accuracy of this bow, especially at 60yards, is dangerous. I am very pleased with it, so far. I do want to get the best performance I can... wouldn't you?

Can't wait for your suggestions. Thank you!
1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
j.krug

Re: Performance help needed from all / including technicians

Post by j.krug »

I shoot a Vortex also and I have installed the S5's on mine. While I still wouldn't call the bow quiet I can say that the S5's do quiet the bow quite a bit and remove a lot of the "twang" from the shot. My brace height is now dictated by the S5's as I keep the string about an 1/8th of an inch away from the bumpers. Some folks take the d-bars off when then install the S5's to save some weight but I left mine on for no particular reason. You can also add "cat whiskers" to the string to quiet the bow a bit more. This will cost you a few fps but bot enough to worry about.

I personally don't worry too much about the noise my bow makes but there is no reason not to take steps to make yours quieter if you want to.

As for the string included with the bow I won't try to guess why it's the one that comes with the bow. I shot the factory strings for years without a single issue. I'm currently using Boo strings and a Comfy Bear string that I am also very very pleased with.

I hope this helps and answers some of your questions.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I reckon the Excel string is on the models because so many new owners dryfire their Excal & not jus once but several times. Of course if you bust the limbs its warranty time if'en it failed but operator caused is a siff story! Optional string is there fer the buyin & they do tell in print arrow used were 350 gr wid the optional string. Many ppl here buy the 225 lb models fer the speed. If'en you need the speed then those are the models, Equinox & Exomax. Noise iam half deaf so idon't care & none of me dump truck loads of tick toters complained to me after the killin shot! :lol: S5 spect they work rather well. I can tell you that solid dependability comfort n ease of use mean more to me than speed. I do own mad Max & he does get the rated 350 fps & i also ownan old carved tip limbed vixen that may get 250 fps! That bein said ck me threads & see which i hunt with the most!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
kev

Post by kev »

after awhile you won't worry about noise! all xbows make noise. to kill noise you kill fps.

I run bare excal's, shoot 30 and under, no problems! each to there own!
Perforator

Post by Perforator »

I don't think reducing noise is that important. Animals will hear any bow, no way you're going to make it so quiet they won't react. As long as the arrow gets there before they can react it shouldn't matter so therefore arrow speed determines the max range you should be able shoot before they can move.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

My first Excal was an Emax at 225#, it came w/ 357 gr arrows and a FFF string, so the change up was after '05. It got the advertised 350 fps, but was twitchy, vibrating, ect more than I cared for. I went w/ heavier arrows at 428 gr for about 335 fps. I then got a doz customs made which are 446 gr and it settled down even more. Dropped my speed to around 328 gr.

Mine had an STS on it, same as S5 now. Took just a bit of twang out of the shot, but let you see your arrow in flight better.

I now shoot a Y-25, Boo string w/whiskers, 400 gr arrows at 300 fps, plenty of speed for me. I think the combination of wood stock and STS helps Boo's string shut up, lol

You will never get any xbow as quiet as a vert, just quieter regardless of how far you carry the nonsense on.

You only gain 8-12 fps which you can live w/o w/ a FFF type string, but the risk of splintering a limb goes up to 2 out of 5 times[dry fire].[Bill T former owner's figures] That cost me $7.60 a few yrs ago to ship for warranty replacement. Came back w/ new diss bars and pads, don't know if old were damaged or not, answered my questions on them w/ "quicker to swap" than check the old parts, lol, gotta love Danny Miller, he dances to his own drum.

You can use my patent pending [not really] anti dry fire tape. It's a 2" piece of masking tape applied to the inside of each limb w/ 'arrow' on one and 'dummy' on the other. It's not a matter if you'll dry fire, but when, honestly.

There are very successful hunters on here that use factory as it comes to them w/ no added noise reduction and then there's the foam in the stock type, all kill deer.

That's my story and I'm stickin w/ it, :mrgreen: Oh, one other thing. The Emax turned into work to shoot it and reserve the strings, I don't miss it a bit.

I loaned a Phoenix out to a non xbow type hunter w/ some blunts and two bheads. He killed a squirrel at 35 the first day he had it and a nice doe next again at 35 yds He's getting about 285-290 fps the way it's rigged.
"Eze 18:21"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

My motto: "Shoot naked & loud"... my xbow, that is! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

As Dan said I did the same . I went with 2219`s out of my Max . Not the blinding speed but I still stick the arrow in the ground on the other side . :D
With my bow she is dressed up and heavy . But quiet enough to shoot a deer and not have the other deer making for the next county . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
fredbeer

Post by fredbeer »

Danny said that crossbow silencers are for the hunter not the deer. He is probably right.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

no matter how hard you try to quiet the bow down you will NEVER acheive a noise that an animal won't here before the arrow gets there.

I run a string stopper I made just in case i brain fart and forget to load an arrow yes I have done this once and the string stoppers were on no damage to bow

Keep your shots to a reasonable distance and the noise won't matter
Tenpoint Matrix
miller1buc

Post by miller1buc »

The S5's are a waste of money. They are a cool looking paper weight but thats about it. The only purpose I see for them is to help in the event of a dry fire. I cant notice much if any difference with mine on/off.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

My advice. Pick a bow shoot it have fun with the basics first.

You probably already know the noise from you jacket will scare off the deer before you get a shoot in, forget about the noise from the bow. :roll:

Thats what I would like silenced! :lol:
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

How to deal with crossbow noise should be made a Forum "sticky". That would help folks get their inevitable question on that subject answered even before it's been asked.

Crossbows are noisy. That's inevitable. There's a whole lot of energy being released suddenly. Noise happens. The shooter hears it. The game animal hears it.

The noise problem, however, can be cured. The cure is simple. The cure is cheap.

Get four foam ear plugs. One set may need to be larger than the other. Put one in each of the shooter's ears (the smaller version of ear plug). The noise will still be present, but it'll stop bothering the shooter.

The larger version should be used by placing one plug in each of the deer's ears (assuming you are deer hunting). That way, the deer won't hear the bow string, the bolt retainer clip, or any other part that vibrates, and won't hear the bolt as it approaches the deer. You can't stop the string from making noise, you can't stop all vibrations, nor can you stop the bolt from making noise as it travels toward the deer. Even if you REDUCE noise, you can't ELIMINATE it. The shot is going to be heard. Period. Full stop.

So, the best way to stop the shooter and the deer from hearing the shot, is to eliminate the hearing.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

hikerman wrote:My advice. Pick a bow shoot it have fun with the basics first.

You probably already know the noise from you jacket will scare off the deer before you get a shoot in, forget about the noise from the bow. :roll:

Thats what I would like silenced! :lol:
Removed